Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

I don’t love the Flying Elvis logo, but I think it’s become iconic and ultimately gets across what it needs to get across. It also works especially well on a football helmet. Pat Patriot is way too busy of a logo to work in that application.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't mind a hat-on-a-hat; doesn't bother me with the Orioles' logo. I'm still hoping for a Brewers Barrelman alternate, and he wears a cap too.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I still think that Patriots' tricorner logo was the best one they've ever worn.

xb8jqrbqtsmlfvqsvdv2.jpg

It was even better without the numbers.

h33V6me.jpg

I get a New Orleans Pelicans vibe now every time I see that Logo. I have a hard time seeing it as hat because of that now. Hopefully that does not happen to anyone else now that I have said it. I do like the concept though just would want a fresher take on it.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

h33V6me.jpg

Funny - this picture looks like a semi-pro team I once saw play, if you removed the tricorner. No names on the back. Single color jersey with single color numbers. Wow.

It's where I sit.

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think it’s the 1960 preseason.  Want to say they wore the shoulder-loop jerseys in every actual game, but I’m not 100% sure.  

Gridiron Database backs that up

spacer.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't mind a hat-on-a-hat; doesn't bother me with the Orioles' logo. I'm still hoping for a Brewers Barrelman alternate, and he wears a cap too.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I still think that Patriots' tricorner logo was the best one they've ever worn.

xb8jqrbqtsmlfvqsvdv2.jpg

It was even better without the numbers.

h33V6me.jpg

I personally agree with you about this being an underrated helmet logo, but I've also had a few people, inevitably much younger than me, ask why the Patriots had a "stylized U" or a "flattened horseshoe" on their helmets.

2 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Easy to argue they've never had a good logo or even concept. Hat with the number may be best.

I took Aborted Flag Man a couple more steps toward Flying Elvis and I like it:

g02kvwu.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, 1908_Cubs said:

I always find the "Patriots can't wear read because it's historically inaccurate" point to be a little unfair.  No one says "Well, Eagles aren't green".  Hell, eagles eat fish. and sometime fish have green scales.  We can play this game for probably 33% of the league, if not more.  And I don't mean to call any single person out, it's just an observation that seems to come up with the Patriots over every other franchise.  Kind of seems if we're going to be calling for a team to be historically accurate for one, we should apply that logic to all teams.  Or, just take a step back and let it go for everyone.   If you think that, that's okay, just an observation, no digs meant.  Maybe I've missed these convo's in the past, I've been mostly a lurker, only been more recently active (it's been an interesting and active season for uniforms, so, ya'll get to have me around a little.  Lucky you 😉), so do forgive me if I had.  Hell, I literally teach the American Revolution for 45 days out of the year, every year.  I totally get the pedantic historic arguments (one of the reasons I can't stand historical movies, I get far too pedantic with them).  

I'm fine with the arguments against the Pats being a red team.  I think the old red uniforms look sharp, myself.  They're clean, pleasing to the eye.  I like the red-dominant red/blue team in a league where it tends to be blue dominant on red/blue teams (Houston, Giants, Bills).  I also understand a lot of people have connections to the Patriots in blue.  I'm not a Pats' fan (Eagles fan, to be clear), and I grew up as a kid throughout the 90's...so they've always been blue to me.  They've played in blue long enough to say they're a blue dominant team.  I'm fine with them being a red OR a blue team.  Just always feels like the argument for the Patriots being historically accurate just seems to apply to them, on conversations no one really has on other teams.  I can let the historical fact that the British wore red go, as long as the Patriots look good, personally.  

Agreed. As far as I've seen, nobody has a problem with the Philadelphia 76ers wearing blue some of the time and red some of the time, and they have the same basic theme as the Patriots.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

g02kvwu.jpg

While the darker shade of blue and addition of silver improve upon the concept that was presented during the in-stadium vote-by-applause promotion the Patriots ran, this logo still has no place being used by a modern professional sports franchise.

A credit union ("Bay Colony Credit Union... Freedom from Fees!")? Sure.

A company offering whole life insurance policies and pitched in commercials featuring Dan Fouts or Wink Martindale? ("No medical exam is required and, once accepted, your coverage cannot be canceled.")? Absolutely.

A pro sports team? I'm afraid not.    

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

While the darker shade of blue and addition of silver improve upon the concept that was presented during the in-stadium vote-by-applause promotion the Patriots ran, this logo still has no place being used by a modern professional sports franchise.

A credit union ("Bay Colony Credit Union... Freedom from Fees!")? Sure.

A company offering whole life insurance policies and pitched in commercials featuring Dan Fouts or Wink Martindale? ("No medical exam is required and, once accepted, your coverage cannot be canceled.")? Absolutely.

A pro sports team? I'm afraid not.    

Yeah, I had this in mind when musing about how I don't like any of their logos or concepts past or present.  Pat Patriot is kind of ok and traditional ...but overly detailed with no feasible way to simplify or modernize that I can think of.  Flying elvis is tolerable I guess and obviously has history and traction, but there's a reason a silly name like "flying Elvis" stuck.  I think some kind of tweak/update to look less silly could make sense, but I doubt the overall concept would change anytime soon at all.   Hmm, how what if he had more of a proper tricorner and somehow looked less like a transformer?

No joke, hot take, my favorite human depiction logo?   Maybe original Washington Wizards man, or even blue recolor. Their blue/gold identity was not bad at all IMO. In a vacuum much better than Bullets or Bullets redux.  Horizontal stripes old timey swimwear.

3041229-inline-pats-1993.png

Maybe I think this looks like a credit union logo. Then what. It only registers as a football logo because we know it to be one. Wouldn't be my guess. If I had to guess a sport, I'd guess soccer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Maybe I think this looks like a credit union logo. Then what. It only registers as a football logo because we know it to be one. Wouldn't be my guess. If I had to guess a sport, I'd guess soccer.

This is Bay Colony Credit Union's logo after its officers committed to a campaign of expanding membership fields, merging with other credit unions, and even acquiring a couple of banking operations. 

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Not a roundel or shield, though.  So can’t be soccer. 😉

Archived