On 5/8/2020 at 4:00 AM, JLJ said:

he is one of hip hop’s greatest.

um...

On 5/8/2020 at 2:05 AM, JLJ said:

Want to hate Hov for that Jewish line? Cool

Ok.

He's an :censored:

On 5/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, shaydre1019 said:

If the names were redacted in this thread it would sound like you were describing Flo-Rida and Imagine Dragons

Have Flo-Rida or Imagine Dragons ever played into antisemitic tropes with their lyrics?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Have Flo-Rida or Imagine Dragons ever played into antisemitic tropes with their lyrics?

[Avicii beat]

305 feelin' so alive

6 million, can't even count that high

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

I’d say the Seahawks uniforms are Kanye West. They changed what people thought uniforms could do by wearing monochrome full time in the early 2000s and using unconventional colors, even  wearing lime green jerseys once. Then they were the first to change to Nike’s commercial design and were arguably the most successful among those who went the modern route at the turn of the decade, inspiring a string of copycats who opted for modern uniforms. But they featured gimmicks galore such the sublimated feather pattern and the annoyingly  lurid and self promoting Nikebox, and some things that left everyone scratching their head like the mismatched TV numbers. And their one time lime jersey stunt has evolved into being covered in lime green from

shoulder to toe  once a year. Even now opinion is pretty split among those who think they are perfect modern uniform, those who will never like that kind of uniform and those who think that it has some good pieces but they should drop the tired act of wearing monochrome and behave more conventionally. Those uniforms represent a team that was dominant for a while but some remember  their biggest blunder  more than the dominance. 

This works astoundingly well. The Seahawks, too, pushed too far into the future until losing their own grip on things, pushing everyone away except for dumb hypebeasts and conspiracy theorists. Checks out!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Anyway I think it's absolutely hilarious that Jay-Z slips a gross Jewish trope into a song about gross Black tropes and gets tagged as anti-Semitic, but Jeff Tweedy sings about hitting and murdering women and Ben Gibbard makes a career writing from stalkery-ex perspectives but they're both brilliant artists.

That's because Tweedy always writes in metaphors, abstractions, and complete nonsense. No one on earth thinks "Via Chicago" is really about killing women! Knowing Tweedy, it's probably really about pills.

Really good bit would be doing the PMRC but they're devoted to going after renowned domestic violence enablers Wilco. After they make sure impressionable children no longer drink American aquariums, maybe they can tackle the BoDeans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

That's because Tweedy always writes in metaphors, abstractions, and complete nonsense. No one on earth thinks "Via Chicago" is really about killing women! Knowing Tweedy, it's probably really about pills.

This is kinda the point though, you take certain indie/emo lyrics as a single line outside of its full context and they look equally gross. You and I and the art-school dork men that frequent this board know you're right.

I think that particular Jay-Z line was clumsy and stupid (on an otherwise surprisingly decent record), I don't think he's an anti-semite, I think Imagine Dragons are substantially worse than anything on Top 40 radio.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I think Imagine Dragons are substantially worse than anything on Top 40 radio.

I don't give a :censored: about Imagine Dragons. All I said was that they, to my knowledge, haven't played into any antisemitic tropes in their lyrics. If that compels you to go "well they still suck!" then 🤷‍♂️ I think you're missing the point.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I think that particular Jay-Z line was clumsy and stupid (on an otherwise surprisingly decent record), I don't think he's an anti-semite...

Well I think that antisemitism is often excused by apologists trying to justify it by saying "he didn't mean it, it was poorly phrased."

Because at the end of the day who the :censored: cares about Jewish people, right?

Fact is if he said something equivalent about any other group? There would be a not-insignificant amount of people pretty damn upset. Yet he chose to talk about Jews like that and people excuse him.

So again, 🤷‍♂️

On 5/8/2020 at 4:52 AM, Gothamite said:

Yep.  New font, showing even small changes can be massive upgrades. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

The strange, spindly horizontal strokes are gone, replaced by numbers much more balanced and even. 

For the names, no more pointless serifs. Back to bold, clear, easy-to-read names. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The nameplate I see the difference. But the number font I still have a hard time distinguishing.

Am I crazy for preferring the old number font and nameplate font? Maybe I just got too used to them.

To me the new font has the feel of a video game that just makes all the team uniforms recolors of the same generic design. 

56 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Am I crazy for preferring the old number font and nameplate font? Maybe I just got too used to them.

To me the new font has the feel of a video game that just makes all the team uniforms recolors of the same generic design. 

They scream bridge uniforms, a set that would last 2-3 years. For as flawed as the dynasty set was they had a clear point of view and cohesion, the new set screams knockoff and put together with little to no intention. 

The new Patriots uniforms are very close to being good. But they fail in crucial areas, namely the generic number font, cluttered sleeves, Red/Navy/Red striping on the away jerseys, and lack of silver pants. I'd even throw in the use of silver at all but that's just me. The Patriots somehow managed to make a lateral move after already having one of the worst uniforms in the league.

fiowXOD.png

4 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Besides the lack of silver pants, the number and NOB font changes seem to be people’s biggest issues with them. I’m pretty split myself. I guess I need to see all the numbers and the whole alphabet before I can really say one way or another.

Sure, the old numbers and fonts were cheesy, but they were ours.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, RedSox44 said:

Besides the lack of silver pants, the number and NOB font changes seem to be people’s biggest issues with them. I’m pretty split myself. I guess I need to see all the numbers and the whole alphabet before I can really say one way or another.

Sure, the old numbers and fonts were cheesy, but they were ours.

not any more cheesy than the Steelers going thin italic futura for all these years!

2 hours ago, Digby said:

not any more cheesy than the Steelers going thin italic futura for all these years!

Always loved that switch, it essentially matched the jersey to the unique helmet numbers. 

11 hours ago, SCL said:

Always loved that switch, it essentially matched the jersey to the unique helmet numbers. 

Same here, and I don't care if the jersey numbers are italicized and the helmet ones aren't.  I think it was a good way to change the uniform without changing the uniform.  It separated eras without really changing anything design wise, especially since they kept the solid-color numbers.  The juxtaposition of the uber-traditional sleeves and overall design against the contemporary number style really works for me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived