Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

I have a theory regarding the Patriots numbers.

I used to work at at a Nike football school. We didn't get numbers to have sewn on blank jerseys; the Nike factory did it for us. We send them the size we wanted with the name and the number, and they would sew them together and send it to us. The turn around was only a few days, as in we would put the order in on Monday, and the jersey would be in our hands before we packed up for the week on Thursday.

Is it possible the factory could be the ones putting the wrong numbers on the jerseys? I'd say so.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, it's on the equipment staff. Either they sewed on last year's numbers by accident in some cases, or they didn't quality check the ones coming in. The numbers on the white jerseys are entirely new, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We'll see if they fix this on the navy by week 3, their next home game. 

10 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Either way, it's on the equipment staff. Either they sewed on last year's numbers by accident in some cases, or they didn't quality check the ones coming in. The numbers on the white jerseys are entirely new, so there shouldn't be an issue there. We'll see if they fix this on the navy by week 3, their next home game. 

Well, we've seen this now both on the rollout of these uniforms though various marketing images, and -- to our disbelief -- several months later on the field of play. 

I'm guessing at this point, that the equipment staff knows about it, and they don't care. 

23 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Pats new uniforms looked better on the field than I was expecting.  I think with silver pants they could have a solid look

Cam Newton Has the Patriots Offense Looking Very Different Already - The  Ringer

They thought about gray pants....I wish they pulled the trigger: 

https://uni-watch.com/2020/04/30/exclusive-pats-considered-silver-grey-pants-in-new-uni-set/

spacer.png

The all blue looks good because it's done well, and the stripe on the pants breaks up the bottom enough to make it work. However, they should also have grey pants to have a second option, and they should have a pair of white striped socks to wear on the road to stop that uniform from being so bottom-heavy. 

And they should have a number on the sleeve instead of the logo, but that's a smaller issue.

I'm still just so put off by the new typeface situation. There are benefits and drawbacks to both generic block and their very Y2K established typeface. This tweaked version is just the worst of all the worlds, to me. Looks like the team took the field wearing the cheapo no-brand jerseys from Target instead of the authentic stuff.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, Ben5 said:

I have a theory regarding the Patriots numbers.

I used to work at at a Nike football school. We didn't get numbers to have sewn on blank jerseys; the Nike factory did it for us. We send them the size we wanted with the name and the number, and they would sew them together and send it to us. The turn around was only a few days, as in we would put the order in on Monday, and the jersey would be in our hands before we packed up for the week on Thursday.

Is it possible the factory could be the ones putting the wrong numbers on the jerseys? I'd say so.

I don't think there's a nike factory in the traditional sense as nike has been a primary contract manufacturer for decades. From what others have mentioned over the years there is a manufacturer called powers that was nike's uniform manufacturer. Depending on your school and contract tier you may have been getting stock/catalog jerseys where they are working off stock on hand domestically and can turn around in a few days if you are close to the factory or can expedited ship. Elite schools and nfl teams are basically getting made to order product that is getting more customization with the difference being that nfl jerseys were traditionally delivered blank due to the wear/tear, roster turnover, and high degree of tailoring/customization/repairs for players. That customization was typically done by a local tailoring shop and not equipment staff because that was typically not a skill that equipment staff had but I think technology has brought some of that in house. If anyone has a better understanding they can correct or clarify.

3 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Pats new uniforms looked better on the field than I was expecting.  I think with silver pants they could have a solid look

Cam Newton Has the Patriots Offense Looking Very Different Already - The  Ringer

The white should have been gray, and the shoulder hoops should have been more like either the Panthers or their previous ones (tapered, not arbitrarily cut off.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Regarding the numbers, are the current Nike numbers actually sewn?  Or are they heat pressed?  Or something else?  Unless there's some super-proprietary process involved, I'd expect that the team's equipment staff or in-house seamstresses* should be able to handle the job.  No idea why the mistakes, but I highly doubt it's due to any financial constraints.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Regarding the numbers, are the current Nike numbers actually sewn?  Or are they heat pressed?  Or something else?  Unless there's some super-proprietary process involved, I'd expect that the team's equipment staff or in-house seamstresses* should be able to handle the job.  No idea why the mistakes, but I highly doubt it's due to any financial constraints.

They’re sewn, I have to game worn jerseys from after Nike took over. Both are sewn. They are first heat pressed to eliminate the wrinkles and waviness you see on the counterfeits 

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

I don't think there's a nike factory in the traditional sense as nike has been a primary contract manufacturer for decades. From what others have mentioned over the years there is a manufacturer called powers that was nike's uniform manufacturer. Depending on your school and contract tier you may have been getting stock/catalog jerseys where they are working off stock on hand domestically and can turn around in a few days if you are close to the factory or can expedited ship. Elite schools and nfl teams are basically getting made to order product that is getting more customization with the difference being that nfl jerseys were traditionally delivered blank due to the wear/tear, roster turnover, and high degree of tailoring/customization/repairs for players. That customization was typically done by a local tailoring shop and not equipment staff because that was typically not a skill that equipment staff had but I think technology has brought some of that in house. If anyone has a better understanding they can correct or clarify.

Yeah, I think we are saying the same thing. I was at UConn back when they used to be in the Big East (you know, before they eventually ended up in the Big East). When we needed a replacement jersey, we would get it on demand. I'm not sure if it was Powers or some other uniform manufacturer who we contacted, but they would put the numbers and nameplate on.

19 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

That picture makes the helmet look white. As much as I think they should never change from silver, it looks pretty good (and certainly fits better on this set than silver). 

ExJworW.png

The worst part is that the Patriots were so close to getting this right. Remember, UniWatch got an early style guide dock which had Silver Pants and TV Numbers for the Pats, which dramatically improved the look of the set. spacer.png

I really like the way this looks. I would prefer Silver Pants on the road as well, but Blue Pants are fine if they are Road-Only. And if I were them, there would be an inverted Socks option that’s Red with a bottom Navy strip.

https://uni-watch.com/2020/04/30/exclusive-pats-considered-silver-grey-pants-in-new-uni-set/

da0Lbhs.png

23 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Silver looks completely out of place now. 

I said this a few times on the boards before, I don't think silver/grey is a neutral jersey colour in football like it is in baseball. Silver is a colour unto itself in football, not a swap for white.

It looks out of place here on the Pats and I've always thought it looked bad on the Panthers.

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived