Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Now that we are close to having LA teams, I am surprised there is no thread in this forum on what they may look like.

Is there any way we are looking at an identity overhaul?

I'd say it's unlikely, particularly given the three teams we are talking about.. Both the Rams and Raiders have history in LA (so do the Chargers, but not as memorable). It would be really odd to see the Rams, who've been the Rams since, what the 30s (?), change names. I don't think whatever sympathy there is for St. Louis will cause much momentum for a Cleveland Deal, thanks to the history in LA, the lacking certainty that St. Louis will have a team again, and the lack of "lunchpail/blue collar fan" reputation. The Raiders also have LA history and while they've had a rough decade plus, their brand has historical importance. I think their brand would stay the same not only if they moved to LA but to San Antonio or London. Also, like St. Louis, there will be nothing near a guarantee that Oakland will ever get another team.

San Diego is the most likely to overhaul, but probably still unlikely. Given the proximity of San Diego to LA, they may even retain some fans. Plus it's a brand that's been around for 50 years or so and, once again, no Cleveland Deal is likely for San Diego. Truth is, I don't like the identity (curved lightning bolts?) but I certainly don't want to see it change, diminishing those 50 years and resulting in something likely to be worse.

I have no horse in the race, so as a neutral fan, I'd like to see the names remain the same, and the identities essentially the same.

Predictions:

• If Raiders move: No identity change save for "Oakland" to "Los Angeles."
  • If Rams move: No name change. The horns stay. Move to the old blue/yellow scheme (60%). Otherwise, stay with current look (35%) or move to old blue/white scheme (5%)
  • If Chargers move: No name change. The bolts stay on the helmet. Stay with current look (80%). Otherwise go to some old look (15%) or a new variation of the "bolts" (5%)

Any thoughts?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Seahawk fan, I'd personally like to see the Rams move to L.A. to make the NFC West truly in the West. Uniform wise, I wouldn't mind the Rams in a shade of blue somewhere between royal and navy, and the yellow. That gold they currently use needs to be burnt. That's what I'd like to see happen, and knowning that is what I want, it probably won't happen.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Out of the three, I'd most like to see the Rams move (back) to L.A. I think it would be a great opportunity to return to royal and yellow/athletic gold as well. The navy and Vegas gold say "St. Louis Rams" to me, while the royal and yellow say "L.A. Rams." Leave the navy and Vegas gold in St. Louis with the Greatest Show on Turf. The current colors are called "Millennium Blue" and "New Century Gold," for Faulk's sake. Get that outta here.

It's also not as if the throwback uniforms look bad on the current state of NFL jersey templates, either:

rams5.jpg

I'm not saying they should bring the throwback jerseys verbatim, but return to the L.A. Rams' old look just seems to fit, y'know?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

If it's the Rams then I'd like to see them go with something like this.

St-Louis-Rams_zpsab901406.png

I wouldn't want a direct throwback because I think the Rams old uniforms had some flaws. I'd like them to use the old colors with a new approach.

If it's the Raiders then I don't want to see any changes at all. If it's the Chargers then anything that isn't their current uniform is fine with me. I'd like the powder blue throwbacks. I'd like an updated version of the powder blue throwbacks. I'd like a reusing of the mid 80's look. I'd like their 90's uniforms but if you flip flopped the yellow and white on the lightning bolts.

PvO6ZWJ.png

For the Rams, I guess I'd like to see something like McCarthy's concept...I don't love horns on the sleeves, which with the way sleeves are disappearing, does not work so well. But the 80s colors work.

Chargers looked best with their dark colors, IMO. I would like that look. I hope they don't go way back and put numbers on the helmets again; that's very college.

And like most, I'd want (and expect) the Raiders to stay the same.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I agree with most of you that the L.A. Rams should wear some variant of their royal and yellow color scheme.

If it's the Chargers, I'm torn. I used to be a bigger fan of the powder blue, but my preferred look for them is — like the Rams — royal and yellow.

Not sure I like the idea of two teams in the same market and same stadium sharing the same color scheme. There's no rule against it, certainly, but I'd think the preference would be to have more distinct identities. That's why I think the Chargers will move unchanged, save for removing the "San Diego" from its identity.

I had not really considered the similarity between the Rams and Chargers color schemes...

Maybe this would cause the Chargers to drift toward more powder...

POTD (Shared)

I had not really considered the similarity between the Rams and Chargers color schemes...

We can only hope. The problem is that is probably too late for a change for next year . . . unless the league relaxes the rules under the circumstances. It would be easy enough to simply make the current powder blue set the primary.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think they're distinct enough now that the Chargers wouldn't have to change. Their look now, regardless of what style guides may say, is predominantly white in my eyes. That's enough to set them apart from the royal-and-yellow Rams.

I just really prefer the Fouts-era look for the Chargers, which I doubt they'd ever go back to.

Here is a bad thought, because I love the old Rams Royal/Yellow look.

BUT, if both the Rams and Chargers move, I doubt they'd want to have the same color scheme.

What is the possibility of 2 blue + yellow teams sharing a market AND sharing a stadium???

I hope only the Rams move, and that the Jags move to St. Louis to fill that void.

Bottom line: f*%$ the NFL owners, those greedy bastards!

I actually prefer the late Fouts era uniforms with darker royal blue, white pants and white numbers, though second place for me would be the immediately prior version with darker royal blue, white pants and athletic gold numbers.

dan-fouts.jpg

71692191.jpg

That way the Rams could be differentiated by their use of athletic gold pants:

0ap2000000207440_gallery_600.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I agree. Love the powder.

Here is a concept helmet I made about a year ago. (Apologies for the shameless self promotion) Would love to see them do something like this.....

4.jpg

2.jpg

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

I actually prefer the late Fouts era uniforms with darker royal blue, white pants and white numbers, though second place for me would be the immediately prior version with darker royal blue, white pants and athletic gold numbers.

dan-fouts.jpg

71692191.jpg

That way the Rams could be differentiated by their use of athletic gold pants:

0ap2000000207440_gallery_600.jpg

A uniform close to the 1985-1987 look, but with Dodger blue instead of navy is perfect for the Chargers if the Rams do not move to LA and the Raiders come with them. But I'd have the Chargers wear royal blue pants on the road similar to the ones they have now.

Chargers - they would look best in something based off of the powder blue throwbacks from the last decade. Actually, just wear those flat out. No updating or tweaking is needed. The Chargers need to run as far from the current set as they can.

Raiders - they should never change a thing.

Rams - Blue and yellow or GTFO

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree. Love the powder.

Here is a concept helmet I made about a year ago. (Apologies for the shameless self promotion) Would love to see them do something like this.....

(Helmet photos removed to save space)

Those are really sharp.

POTD (Shared)

I'm torn if I like the old Royal and yellow Rams better with a navy helmet or if I'd rather them go with a Giants-like dark metallic-flake Royal

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived