Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

It will be full, but full of the OTHER TEAM'S fans. 

So business as usual. See ya around, SD.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Does anyone know why Spanos was so "offended" by the city offering him the stadium land for $1/yr for 99 years? Seems on the surface that's a no brainer to take and make a ton of money. 

11 hours ago, larrypep said:

It was an extreme reaction based on the two councilmen who made the offer (Cate and Sherman) being such high-profile opponents to the downtown site.  Maybe he felt they were gloating.  

I'm not a businessman but would think building a modern, flexible venue that suits the NFL, NCAA football, soccer, and concerts, in an easily accessible area of a major metropolitan area, without paying rent or a mortgage on the land, is a money making prospect. If not Spanos, why not some other person/corp? Must not be that cut and dry?

22 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'm not a businessman but would think building a modern, flexible venue that suits the NFL, NCAA football, soccer, and concerts, in an easily accessible area of a major metropolitan area, without paying rent or a mortgage on the land, is a money making prospect. If not Spanos, why not some other person/corp? Must not be that cut and dry?

Keep in mind that Spanos is the one with a team.  San Diego presumably does not make the same offer to another businessman without a guarantee of a team.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Keep in mind that Spanos is the one with a team.  San Diego presumably does not make the same offer to another businessman without a guarantee of a team.

Right. That would definitely have to be part of the deal to build (that the Chargers are there for 25yrs or whatever). 

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Lot of bad blood between the city leaders and the Spanoses over the years.  Both sides are to blame, both sides were, and are, extremely short-sighted and egotistical in this whole thing.  

Also, anyone who thinks they should be the California Chargers is :censored:ing insane. There are three other teams in the state and they won't even be the only team in the market. They're not going to get the San Diego fans no matter what they do. And not naming the team Los Angeles ensures they never get any fans there.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

Might be time for the Spanos family and the city of San Diego to each take a slice of humble pie and try to work things out.Only team that could move to LA right now and keep fan base plus add on would be the Raiders.Don't know who's more stubborn;Mark Davis or Dean Spanos.We shall see.

Los Angeles cannot handle a second team. The market is still too weak. Two flailing franchises in one market would be mutually assured destruction.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Los Angeles cannot handle a second team. The market is still too weak. Two flailing franchises in one market would be mutually assured destruction.

Try telling that though to Mr Spanos or Mr Davis though.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

2 baseball teams, 2 hockey teams, 2 basketball teams

but 2 football teams is a no?

its true if the teams dont succeed it will be rough. As it is with thw others. If they succeed though? Expect big crowds. The clippers were bad for their entire existence. The second they were good, they sell out almost all the time

the problem wasnt the rams. It was the fact that the rams went games without scoring a touchdown. Brutal team to watch

stop generalizing 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd argue that we can't handle a second team... yet. It's still too fresh. Ideally, I'd like to see a second team in about 10 years in order to give the Rams and Los Angeles time to fall back in love with each other. 

Although, honestly, if the Chargers can come in here and play exciting football (watching Rams' games were difficult this season) they actually have a decent shot at being well supported. The Rams really blew an opportunity with their atrocious play this season. If they were at least fun to watch but still lost some close games, that'd be one thing, but that offense was just so horrendous, it was like watching paint dry.

Oh well, still glad to have football back in my city.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

32 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

2 baseball teams, 2 hockey teams, 2 basketball teams

but 2 football teams is a no?

Yes, owing to the 21 years the NFL spent out of Los Angeles, during which time we heard everything from "it's just a transplant town" to "L.A. only wants to watch the NFL's best teams" to "in L.A., footballs are black and white." The league did a lot of damage to the market by not being there for a generation and it's going to take some time to get it back up to speed. Of the teams that very well could have gone there (the three we know + the Jaguars, who seemed like a relocation possibility when the team was for sale and all their games were getting blacked out), I think the Rams were the one and only right choice, given their legacy in Los Angeles and the market they'd be subtracting in moving (pace the L.A. chapter of Raider Nation, St. Louis was always more expendable than the Bay Area), but somehow I didn't budget for what a gong show they'd turn out to be under the current ownership and management. I think there's still a chance the Rams can do this right, but that means committing to them as L.A.'s NFL team and not cannibalizing with an alternative that could prove to be just as ungratifying as the Rams were. San Diego has enough going for it not to abandon it. The league could be making a huge mistake.

So no, they don't need a second NFL team, at least not in the near future.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Your 2016 LA Rams 

0-7 in all white

2-3 in white jerseys and blue pants.

1-1 in the throwback uniforms

0-1 in all blue

1-0 in blue tops and white pants.

They were 0-2 in the preseason wearing white jerseys and blue pants, but 2-0 wearing all white. The Rams didn't get blown out in the royal blue tops and yellow pants against San Fran last month! 0-5 at home wearing all white unitards, no wonder the team sucks wearing the mono white unis they wore most of the time when they had a horrible stretch in St. Louis from 2007 to 2011.

24 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Angelinos are fanatics of USC football so why wouldn't they embrace a good pro team?

You need to embrace a team in good times and bad, or finances turn and the team eventually heads out of town.  This is not just fans, but the city itself - the pols and those who control the infrastructure and taxes.  Really hoping San Diego works something out (Mission Valley?), but I doubt it.  I just see the Chargers turning into the Clippers if they move.   But the Raiders - I see no way Oakland comes up with anything and Las Vegas just seems right with all the tourist potential - all those fans and high rollers who wish to see their team play during a Vegas vacation.  just IMHO.  

On December 29, 2016 at 3:50 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Fixed for the sad truth.....

Nah, the Padres for all their on field failures are pretty good at the off field side of ops other than maybe the uniforms (and they fired the guy responsible for the most recent bland set).

21 hours ago, Pauly said:

Might be time for the Spanos family and the city of San Diego to each take a slice of humble pie and try to work things out.Only team that could move to LA right now and keep fan base plus add on would be the Raiders.Don't know who's more stubborn;Mark Davis or Dean Spanos.We shall see.

The city has made offers, but Spanos ain't budging. He claims he needs half a billion in public funding. It's not happening. 

On 2017-01-02 at 0:05 AM, the admiral said:

Yes, owing to the 21 years the NFL spent out of Los Angeles, during which time we heard everything from "it's just a transplant town" to "L.A. only wants to watch the NFL's best teams" to "in L.A., footballs are black and white." The league did a lot of damage to the market by not being there for a generation and it's going to take some time to get it back up to speed. Of the teams that very well could have gone there (the three we know + the Jaguars, who seemed like a relocation possibility when the team was for sale and all their games were getting blacked out), I think the Rams were the one and only right choice, given their legacy in Los Angeles and the market they'd be subtracting in moving (pace the L.A. chapter of Raider Nation, St. Louis was always more expendable than the Bay Area), but somehow I didn't budget for what a gong show they'd turn out to be under the current ownership and management. I think there's still a chance the Rams can do this right, but that means committing to them as L.A.'s NFL team and not cannibalizing with an alternative that could prove to be just as ungratifying as the Rams were. San Diego has enough going for it not to abandon it. The league could be making a huge mistake.

So no, they don't need a second NFL team, at least not in the near future.

Sorry not buying that. And I'm the kind of guy that's been known to make foolish purchases. Did you know one time I  bought a boat even though I live in a landlocked desert? And another time I bought a gun rack even though I don't own any guns? And don't get me started on the time I bought an Ice Cream making machine even though I hate Ice Cream and are lactose Intolerant!! And who can forget the time I bought a 25 Karat diamond wedding anniversary ring for my wife before I realized I wasn't married!!!!!

The Catch of the Day!

7 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Did you know one time I  bought a boat even though I live in a landlocked desert?

Must be rough having been an octopus in a desert.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived