Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

17 hours ago, tp49 said:

Spanos would be the perfect NHL owner.

Maybe, maybe not. San Diego reportedly sat down with San Diego County and San Diego State and came up with a $375 million offer to the Chargers/NFL. The league and team reportedly are looking at it and do see it as a legitimate offer. By comparison they did not see the $1 a year lease offer last month as legit, nor the city's CSAG proposal in 2015.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/1/2/14146620/will-the-nfl-help-the-chargers-stay-in-sd

Now $375 mil is still far short of the over $500 mil the Chargers were hoping to get, but it would still represent by far the largest public contribution to a sports stadium in California history. Filling the gap however would be up to the NFL or Chargers presumably as $375 mil represents the final offer from San Diego City/County/State University.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that nothing happens this year except kicking the can down the road another year.

If the Chargers do not exercise their option to move by the upcoming deadline (the 12th?  15th? Can't remember), then they lose it.  And the Raiders' one-year option kicks in. 

So the clock is ticking.  The one thing that cannot happen is kicking the can down the road for another year. 

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that nothing happens this year except kicking the can down the road another year.

It really boils down to if the NFL and team are willing to pony up the extra $125 mil to fill the funding gap between what's being offered and what they want. If the NFL is willing to help the team you're right. It'll get kicked down the road 2 years until the next general election in 2018. If the NFL is not willing to fill the gap, there's no benefit to waiting to move as the Chargers have clearly "lost the room" with the fan base in San Diego during this limbo they find themselves in (as evidenced by the paltry out of town crowds all season after the 2015 season's "goodbye" last game). Not to mention the Bolts at best can extend their option 1 year by some reports before the option reverts to the Raiders. And as it is the next two years if they do take the $375 mil option will be tough without some major bridge building by the Chargers on and off field leading to the 2018 election.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If the Chargers do not exercise their option to move by the upcoming deadline (the 12th?  15th? Can't remember), then they lose it.  And the Raiders' one-year option kicks in. 

So the clock is ticking.  The one thing that cannot happen is kicking the can down the road for another year. 

The Chargers can appeal for a one-year extension on the LA option if there is "progress" in negotiations with the city.  Also factor in that Kroenke can't start selling PSLs until the tenant situation is settled, so he'd have to wait another year, which probably isn't too palatable to him or the NFL to do, so the next few days leading up to the 15th will be very interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...

Chargers belong in San Diego, if it happens it's a damn shame. Let the tax payers pay 25% and the billionaire owner pay 75%. With the team remaining the city will generate that revenue in a few years. It's in the city's best interest to keep the team.

Outside of destroying any goodwill he had left in the San Diego market I just don't see how it's a great business decision on Spanos' part to spend $650 million (not including the new practice facility and offices, etc.) he doesn't have to be a tennant in a building he won't own and probably only have minimal revenue streams from to more or less be the LA equivilant of the New York Jets.  I'd think that it would have been better to invest that money in San Diego on a new stadium but then again I'm not an NFL owner so what the heck do I know.

10 minutes ago, tp49 said:

Outside of destroying any goodwill he had left in the San Diego market I just don't see how it's a great business decision on Spanos' part to spend $650 million (not including the new practice facility and offices, etc.) he doesn't have to be a tennant in a building he won't own and probably only have minimal revenue streams from to more or less be the LA equivilant of the New York Jets.  I'd think that it would have been better to invest that money in San Diego on a new stadium but then again I'm not an NFL owner so what the heck do I know.

I have read the deal for Spanos to become a mere tenant also includes full game day revenues, including seat licenses. I thought it sounded preposterous, but if true, it's a hell of a deal. 

23 minutes ago, tp49 said:

I dont think the Jets are a good comparison. I'm aware we are the only other team that shares a stadium but Metlife is 50/50 ownership between the two teams. We also have a large fanbase and have been playing in New York for almost 60 years. Sure we have not been as successful as the Giants but we have a fanbase and partly own a stadium. The Chargers will have little fanbase upon arrival and Los Angeles has not supported its teams in the past, while the New York area always has. I think the Chargers would be lucky to be the Jets of LA as I see them more as a Clippers scenario. However, if they are successful next season I could see many jumping ship from the Rams because I dont think their brand is that strong in LA so far.

If SD Charger fans want to walk away from supporting the team because they aren't in SD anymore, out of principle, it's understandable. Practically speaking, it's only about an hour drive north to see the same team and still support them. The team you've always supported is only slightly farther away now. Not like when the Raiders moved to Oakland, that's an 8 hour drive one way.

An hour away must be on a real good day because it used to take me 2 hours minimum. The 91 freeway was no joke man.

It's the principle of it all. I'm not sure I'd want to drive to another county (might as well be another state socially speaking) to see a team I could drive around the block to see. To see a team that doesn't even carry the name of the place most of its fan base resides.

Fandom isn't really logical. I mean why should we care at all? We aren't getting paid. In fact we are getting robbed blind, but it's always nice to believe in something. That's why I don't blame a San Diego Chargers fan for not following the LA version.

1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

An hour away must be on a real good day because it used to take me 2 hours minimum. The 91 freeway was no joke man.

It's the principle of it all. I'm not sure I'd want to drive to another county (might as well be another state socially speaking) to see a team I could drive around the block to see. To see a team that doesn't even carry the name of the place most of its fan base resides.

Fandom isn't really logical. I mean why should we care at all? We aren't getting paid. In fact we are getting robbed blind, but it's always nice to believe in something. That's why I don't blame a San Diego Chargers fan for not following the LA version.

I was way off on the hour estimate after checking. I can understand a fan being heart broken about it, they're being left for another city. I guess my point is, as a Chargers fan, you can still go see your team play in person (if you'll continue to root for them) without having to fly or driving an unreasonable amount of time. That being said, I wouldn't blame a fan for unfollowing them either, but if they change their mind the team is still close enough to buy tickets for.

What am I missing here?  The LA market doesn't seem to respond to football.  Is this a way to re-expand back into St. Louis and San Diego?  Are they hedging their bets that LA will respond to established teams instead of brand new expansion teams?  Then in 4 years, announce 2 new teams will be coming to St. Louis and San Diego?  What was attendance and viewership ratings for St. Louis and San Diego?

St. Louis?  Not a chance.  

Expansion?  Even less of a chance.  

This is about a desperate and inept owner who's despised in his own home market casting around for something that he thinks will make him more money.  Don't use the word "they" when talking about this - it's not a grand design in any sense, not from the NFL (which wanted him to stay put) and not from Spanos.  

Kroenke had had a plan. Spanos is desperately stumbling and fumbling around, grasping for anything as options close all around him. 

8 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

What am I missing here?  The LA market doesn't seem to respond to football.  Is this a way to re-expand back into St. Louis and San Diego?  Are they hedging their bets that LA will respond to established teams instead of brand new expansion teams?  Then in 4 years, announce 2 new teams will be coming to St. Louis and San Diego?  What was attendance and viewership ratings for St. Louis and San Diego?

The Chargers value simply by moving from San Diego to Los Angeles increased by almost $1 billion.  Los Angeles is a top market in the US and if you can stick in Los Angeles you're golden.

Yet the NFL simply has never been able to make it work and now they're making the same mistakes all over again.  Thankfully I think the Rams will be there for a nice long time.  The Chargers/whatevers?  They'll be gone inside a decade.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived