Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

This is an old photoshop from a few years ago, but since we're on the subject. I tinkered with some of what I thought were issues with their original uniforms - namely the white stripe on the pants sticks out too much, and you get the same effect out of a shoulder stripe as you do the Rams old sleeve horn, but it can be more easily tailored to changing uniforms cuts and also because rams don't have 4 horns or horns coming out of their shoulders. The sleeve horn is almost too clever.

MarshallHome_zpsyk1ymrdy.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helmet is good, obviously, but I think the pants stripes are a huge downgrade. I can see the line of thinking that there shouldn't be sleeve horns because actual rams don't have horns on their shoulders. I accept that, but I just like the design. Still, I can live with sleeves/shoulders similar to what the Rams use currently.

For me, the pants were maybe the best part of that set. They just looked so good. I think you should take it in the other direction - instead of dropping white from the pants, try adding it to the jerseys. If I were to take a stab at updating that set, I'd 1) make the helmet royal blue; and 2) use white numbers on the blues, maybe with yellow names.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Are we taking bets on Nike adding Oregon-esque bullcrap to the uniforms in order to win the "urban" LA demographic?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So where will they be playing next year. I know not St Louis but where in LA?

The Los Angeles Coliseum.

If the Chargers come nobody knows where they would play because it cannot be the LA Coliseum who said only one team temporarily, Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Angels Stadium, Stub Hub Centre, all said no. So at the present moment that's the big mystery should the Chargers decide to pick up and move before 2016 season.

I like the wordmark in 1994

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/188/full/grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

I don't believe that is true. I believe it was John Clayton who reported on ESPN Radio that USC had agreed to let 2 NFL teams play there next season if needed.

John Clayton? I hope his sources are better than they were a couple days ago.

Listen: ESPN's John Clayton says he thinks NFL owners will vote to keep the Rams in St. Louis

Ha, it was actually funny as in the same 15 minute segment he said the Chargers would never partner with the Rams and then got new info and changed to saying the Chargers WOULD partner with the Rams. Info was flying all over the place.

As a Niners fan, I'm happy with the Rams coming back to LA. Watching them as a kid, they were always the LA Rams and should have stayed that way. Less travel for both teams and now a true NFC "West" division.

In order to get some more time in thinking about a re-brand with logos and uniforms, unless they have already been in the works, they should just stick with the throwbacks that they have currently as the home and away and just recolor the logo. Keep these until the new stadium opens in 2019 and then release a total re-brand. This would also save them some money with using the uniforms they already have. It would also satisfy the LA fans that love the royal and yellow colors right away without half-assing a new logo and uniform so quickly. And you know the LA fans would buy up the leftovers of these jerseys so fast. It's a no brainer in my opinion.

Logo:los-angeles-rams-logo1.jpg?crop=114px%2C

Home Uniforms:usp_nfl__san_francisco_49ers_at_st_77208 w/ Blue socks

Away Uniforms:eugene-sims-nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers-st. w/ Blue socks

See, to me, this is perfect. This is all the Rams need to do, nothing more. (I suppose those alternates might feel more "standardized" with blue pants, though). The Rams are an old team, and have an established, classic look. They are not a team that needs to be rocking the boat and do something crazy. But alas, I fear something radical will occur in 2019.

Sorry if it's already been addressed but can the Rams change? Given the NFL strict rules I wouldn't be surprised if they had to have submitted a uniform change request years ago to have it put into place for 2016. Hopefully not but just wondering if anybody know.

I believe the NFL requires a 3 year notice to change logos, uniforms, etc. There were rumors about a rebranding (whether it be a recolor or a major change) happening in 2016, which means a request would have been filed in 2013 (and I believe it was dug up here that the Rams did in fact file a request back then). However, given the Rams are moving and the NFL being back in LA is a very big deal for the league, it's possible they may waive any waiting period, as long as the Rams are limited to only changing the wordmark (from "St. Louis" to "Los Angeles") and doing a uniform recolor. This, of course, is just pure speculation, take it with a grain of salt.

This is an old photoshop from a few years ago, but since we're on the subject. I tinkered with some of what I thought were issues with their original uniforms - namely the white stripe on the pants sticks out too much, and you get the same effect out of a shoulder stripe as you do the Rams old sleeve horn, but it can be more easily tailored to changing uniforms cuts and also because rams don't have 4 horns or horns coming out of their shoulders. The sleeve horn is almost too clever.

im not sure how that stripe would work. it reminds me a lot of the Panthers stripe, and you can see the dramatic inconsistency issues with that on the photo below. BUT, you are thinking along the same lines as i am - i don't think its good to use the horn twice. not because "rams dont have 4 horns" or whatevs, but to me its like using a logo multiple times on the uniform, its redundant.

Panthers2.jpg

heres something i worked up last night, taking a similar cue from the rams horn and applying it to the jersey in a way that is new and would be consistent on every jersey cut.

SPKBZrB.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Sorry if it's already been addressed but can the Rams change? Given the NFL strict rules I wouldn't be surprised if they had to have submitted a uniform change request years ago to have it put into place for 2016. Hopefully not but just wondering if anybody know.

I believe the NFL requires a 3 year notice to change logos, uniforms, etc. There were rumors about a rebranding (whether it be a recolor or a major change) happening in 2016, which means a request would have been filed in 2013 (and I believe it was dug up here that the Rams did in fact file a request back then). However, given the Rams are moving and the NFL being back in LA is a very big deal for the league, it's possible they may waive any waiting period, as long as the Rams are limited to only changing the wordmark (from "St. Louis" to "Los Angeles") and doing a uniform recolor. This, of course, is just pure speculation, take it with a grain of salt.

regardless of timelines, and even if the NFL didn't waive the waiting period.. i highly doubt the Rams would be expected to keep a "St. Louis" wordmark if they're playing in LA... i dont think that counts as a concession by the NFL, but rather an logical necessity.. minimal uniform changes are definitely more along the lines of where i think some leeway might be given.

im not sure how that stripe would work. it reminds me a lot of the Panthers stripe, and you can see the dramatic inconsistency issues with that on the photo below. BUT, you are thinking along the same lines as i am - i don't think its good to use the horn twice. not because "rams dont have 4 horns" or whatevs, but to me its like using a logo multiple times on the uniform, its redundant.

Panthers2.jpg

heres something i worked up last night, taking a similar cue from the rams horn and applying it to the jersey in a way that is new and would be consistent on every jersey cut.

SPKBZrB.png

We're in agreement on the shoulder stripes. See my concept from earlier in this thread for my exact thoughts on how I'd dress the Rams today. It's pretty similar to what you posted here. On the photoshop the reason it looks the way it does is because that photo is 16 years old and there was more shoulder pad real estate in those days. If that were created for today's uniform cut it would obviously look different.

Regarding the Panthers consistency issues: I've noticed that the Rams, who use a shoulder loop on Nike's new template don't have the same consistency issues as the Panthers who use the old template. Nike's done a good job of eliminating those inconsistencies on teams. The Bengals, for example, used to be a mess player to player while under Reebok. Some guys were missing entire stripes, some guys side panels were truncated. No longer a problem since Nike. No matter what the Rams would use it'd be on the Nike so any inconsistency issues wouldn't be a concern for me. That is one thing I'll give Nike credit for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

regardless of timelines, and even if the NFL didn't waive the waiting period.. i highly doubt the Rams would be expected to keep a "St. Louis" wordmark if they're playing in LA... i dont think that counts as a concession by the NFL, but rather an logical necessity.. minimal uniform changes are definitely more along the lines of where i think some leeway might be given.

The St. Louis Rams of Los Angeles

Also, I think the fears people had about the NFL going "crazy" with the radical rebrandings of the Seahawks and the Bucs have been largely unfounded. So far, no other team has attempted to do anything as bold as those two teams. As cited, the Vikings did a great job of updating their identity while keeping it very recognizable. It's the "modern retro" or whatever you want to call it at work. Hell, even the Seahawks don't seem all that extreme anymore, now that we've had a couple seasons to get used to it.

What Seahawk uniform are you looking at?

The only Nike update that hasn't been an obvious downgrade was the Vikings, although I like it quite a bit, you could argue that was because what they had before was so bad.

adding to this, the bills released the current nike jerseys less than five years ago with the terrible collar, and switched back to the old collar. Same with ravens going to a single colour rather than two.

I would imagine the rams changing STL to LA would fall under the same idea as well

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Just use this as a general idea of what the rams in yellow-blue could look like. Im not saying exactly this design wise, but it give you some visual proof.

AR-140909289.jpg

Beautiful. Of course, I just got ridiculed for suggesting this yesterday.

Looks like the powder blues are coming back full-time if the Chargers move to LA.

As minor as it is in the grand scheme of things, this is just another slap in the face to San Diego fans by the Spanos family. The fans have always wanted powder blue back, only to be curtly told that the Spanii prefer navy.

I think the LA uniforms from 1960 were one of their worst (not enough yellow). As a native San Diegan, it would be little consolation but as least a little win if they picked this as their look.

1960LAChargers+C.PNG

Just use this as a general idea of what the rams in yellow-blue could look like. Im not saying exactly this design wise, but it give you some visual proof.

AR-140909289.jpg

Beautiful. Of course, I just got ridiculed for suggesting this yesterday.

That is not what you suggested. You suggested adding dark grey, or worse, black to the Rams blue and yellow. I can't picture either looking good.

Edit: Here's what happens when you use black with those colors

pg2_g_carlson1_sw_600.jpgncf_g_sanjose12_600.jpg

PUKE

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm bad at Photoshop... Anyone want to do a simple color reversal of the Rams' current throwbacks, swapping the yellow with blue and vice versa? Blue and yellow works well, but I'm curious if yellow and blue would look as good since yellow might introduce too much color clashing in a larger amount.

Archived