Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Am I the only one who doesn't think the new Chargers Logo looks remotely like the Dodgers Logo?

* Not even close to the same font, at all

* Italicized

pasted_image_at_2017_01_12_12_30_pm_360.

Yea, the L and the A touch near the center, and may even be interlocking. But so what? So do the NY in all new york sports teams. They use different fonts, do people regularly accuse them of being identical logos? They even use the same style, unlike the chargers and the dodgers.

Sorry, but the only thing that says "dodgers" to me about this logo is the color, otherwise, they really aren't that similar at all. If people are complaining that they copied the letters L A, sorry, i mean, I guess they could have gone with "SD" but yea.

S80-81-82-83_zpspmeyx5vh.png

200px-Nassau_Coliseum_logo.jpg

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's bandwagon complaining, and a contest to see who can be the most clever.  Unfortunately, the few clever parodies were all done right away, and everything since is just trying too hard.

I honestly think it's a good logo.  I think it should be a permanent addition to their package, even if it doesn't get used on field.

I'm trying to find an objective flaw, and the only think that I can even kinda see is that the A has serifs on both sides at the top, while the L only on the left.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, rickyISking said:

I don't understand why people want the Rams in blue and white, that scheme is just so bland. Imo, blue and gold IS the LA Rams, much more than blue and white.

Agreed! Given the seemingly consensus opinion on how boring the new Padres uniforms are, it makes me scratch my head to see people clamouring for the Rams to adopt a navy/white colour scheme. The move to navy/white would drain any life out of what could be a visually striking and unique look.

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

it's bandwagon complaining, and a contest to see who can be the most clever.  Unfortunately, the few clever parodies were all done right away, and everything since is just trying too hard.

I honestly think it's a good logo.  I think it should be a permanent addition to their package, even if it doesn't get used on field.

I'm trying to find an objective flaw, and the only think that I can even kinda see is that the A has serifs on both sides at the top, while the L only on the left.  

I would keep the arched lightning bolt on the helmet, but use the new LA/bolt logo (which is quite excellent) under the collar in place of the wordmark.

29 minutes ago, 3wide.com said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think the new Chargers Logo looks remotely like the Dodgers Logo?

* Italicized

Yea, the L and the A touch near the center, and may even be interlocking. But so what? So do the NY in all new york sports teams. They use different fonts, do people regularly accuse them of being identical logos? They even use the same style, unlike the chargers and the dodgers.

Sorry, but the only thing that says "dodgers" to me about this logo is the color, otherwise, they really aren't that similar at all. If people are complaining that they copied the letters L A, sorry, i mean, I guess they could have gone with "SD" but yea.

In regards to your NY logo comment: Believe me, if we had the Internet in 1962 when the Mets' NY logo was first introduced, we'd have a similar reaction. And if we had the Internet in 1967, we'd accuse them too. But those have been established for so long, which means our reaction to it now isn't the same as to the Chargers. 

If the Chargers did keep this as a logo for their brand and it remained like this for a few decades, we'd have accepted it and moved on. But that's not the case. They are similar in terms of idea (blue background, white lettering, interlocking LA) which is why we reacted this way. In this case of reaction, the super defined details of font and italicized doesn't hide from the fact that it's essentially the same approach as the Dodgers logo. 

Go A's!

49 minutes ago, TJSC said:

They changed their Twitter/Instagram logo again. 

ueFTSLVM_400x400.jpg

Apparently they were made fun of again after changing the colors of the monogram. 

This thing is not off to a good start branding wise coming out of the gate. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Not really.  That's kind of like if your new GF starts wearing the same perfume as the GF that cheated on you and left you.

There's probably a lot of people that want to forget about powder blue and yellow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

55 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

DcAl-d9_.jpg

Intern: Look at this logo I designed!! 

Chargers: Good job! Let's use that as our twitter avatar!

Intern: Ummm.... I'm still working on it...

Chargers: Too late!!! 

*1 day later *

Chargers: Our fans don't like our new logo. 

Intern: Let me finish it and it'll be better... 

Chargers: NOPE!!  We'll just recolor it to our current colors. 

*few hours later*

Chargers: You know what, this logo sucks.. Just put "Los Angeles Chargers" and we'll be fine. 

Intern: Ugh.... 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  That's just not very funny.

I'm also struggling to see how it looks unfinished.  Maybe an outline?  OK, I'll buy that, but otherwise it looks pretty finished to me.

50 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

This would be a PERFECT time for the Padres to dump their maligned navy/white fiasco and go all powder/yellow. Yes, brown would be best BUT if not...

0b1e638c55718a93bdea214913c66fc9.jpg

Hell no. I'd rather the Padres remain the bland navy and white they are right now then emulate the traitorous Chargers. It's the one good thing about them dumping the yellow this off season. Better to bring back the 90's orange with the navy and call it a day.

2 hours ago, 3wide.com said:

* Italicized

I think the new LA bolt logo is brilliant, but I think you'd have to be intentionally blind to think it's anything other than an homage to the Dodgers logo.

You say only the color says Dodgers to you, and it doesn't to go from there to the interlocking letters -- including the bottom of the L serving as the crossbar of the A in both -- to see a pretty clear connection.

That connection doesn't make it bad, mind you, but it's pretty obviously (to me at least) an intentional take on the Dodgers. And I love it in large part because of that reason.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived