Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I disagree somewhat.  In this case I don't see an issue with the extra outlines, even if the powder doesn't contrast that much with the yellow.  Of course a single outline would be better (if an outline is needed, which I don't think it is.)

I may have missed it in the 100 pages of people posting their "improvement" ideas that aren't really improvements, but what do you think are the "bad qualities"?  I'm struggling to come up with many.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 5.18.16 PM.png

In this specific case, these outlines create awkward negative space areas between sections of the logo (L and A, bolt and A) and highlight some of the potential alignment issues (with the baseline of the bolt not aligning with the baseline of the A) that are less apparent in the single color version.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, TJSC said:

The Chargers have completely removed the LA logo from their branding.

Their "fight for LA" website used to have the LA logo implemented everywhere, (the wallpaper downloads, the mockup field design, the "Fight For LA" motto) now it's all gone.

http://www.fightforla.com/

Good for them, it was a stupid simplistic logo that really did not match anything about the brand anyway, even the bolt.  

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Except they didn't match the helmet. They went halfway across the shoulder, then mirrored their way back down the other side. You can see it in this picture:

image.jpeg

Historically, that's how the bolts have always went across the shoulders.  

I used to hate these uniforms because I always felt Spanos was being stubborn keeping these instead of switching to the throwback powder blues, but man, I miss these uniforms.  

17 minutes ago, larrypep said:

Historically, that's how the bolts have always went across the shoulders.  

I used to hate these uniforms because I always felt Spanos was being stubborn keeping these instead of switching to the throwback powder blues, but man, I miss these uniforms.  

The one bright spot as a (former) San Diegan is that, with the Chargers out of town, it might be a little easier to get my hands on a Seau jersey now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/14/chargers-admit-mistake-ditch-initial-l-a-logo/

Chargers admit mistake, ditch initial L.A logo

“The logo that was revealed on Thursday was meant to help launch our brand into the market and supplement — not replace — our official team marks,” Chargers president of business operations A.G. Spanos said in a statement provided to PFT. “Clearly, we miscalculated how the logo would be received, and we’ve taken it out of the rotation.”

A.G. Spanos emphasized that this is the identity of the team. “If we make a mistake, we own it, learn from it, and move on without looking back,” he said.

Spanos said that the team may “take another shot” at an L.A. logo “down the road,” and that the franchise is considering ways to involve the community’s voice in the process.

“If the ultimate outcome of this episode is something really special that L.A. fans help create and truly love, that’s a win,” Spanos said.

Plenty of other businesses would have doubled down in the face of the criticism, stubbornly adhering to an approach that had already become a punch line by refusing to look beyond an echo chamber that regards any opinion different from theirs as wrong. The Chargers have, during a hectic and challenging week, found a way to engage in an objective assessment of a bad decision and to reverse it."

2 hours ago, GFB said:

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 5.18.16 PM.png

In this specific case, these outlines create awkward negative space areas between sections of the logo (L and A, bolt and A) and highlight some of the potential alignment issues (with the baseline of the bolt not aligning with the baseline of the A) that are less apparent in the single color version.

to add to that, this styling would make consistent, quality reproduction harder. especially in embroidery. the letter forms are now crashing into each other (top of A) and the space around all the angles/shapes have gotten worse. (there is only one part where you see white inside of the keyline.) 

as GFB said, you can now see the angles and alignment issues more clearly and though my biggest problem with the logo is color, this cat should probably reserve the hubris in his "fix" because he definitely made the logo worse.

but more importantly, im disappointed the team abandoned the logo because it was still a nice addition to their logo family. with just about every logo release, the internet outraged and the Chargers caved. no one goes out of their way to make fun of all the other bad logos that come out. they just needed to have some patience and let people simmer down.  if this is how the team reacts to a secondary logo release, maybe we shouldn't expect anything new from the team at all

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

8 minutes ago, TJSC said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/14/chargers-admit-mistake-ditch-initial-l-a-logo/

Chargers admit mistake, ditch initial L.A logo

“The logo that was revealed on Thursday was meant to help launch our brand into the market and supplement — not replace — our official team marks,” Chargers president of business operations A.G. Spanos said in a statement provided to PFT. “Clearly, we miscalculated how the logo would be received, and we’ve taken it out of the rotation.”

A.G. Spanos emphasized that this is the identity of the team. “If we make a mistake, we own it, learn from it, and move on without looking back,” he said.

Spanos said that the team may “take another shot” at an L.A. logo “down the road,” and that the franchise is considering ways to involve the community’s voice in the process.

“If the ultimate outcome of this episode is something really special that L.A. fans help create and truly love, that’s a win,” Spanos said.

Plenty of other businesses would have doubled down in the face of the criticism, stubbornly adhering to an approach that had already become a punch line by refusing to look beyond an echo chamber that regards any opinion different from theirs as wrong. The Chargers have, during a hectic and challenging week, found a way to engage in an objective assessment of a bad decision and to reverse it."

Man...what a shot at the Clippers and Ballmer.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, Guy with Machete said:

The extension of the "L" looks more like a pennant than a bolt to me. Defnitely like the concept poster earlier which adds a bolt to the "A", particularly since lightning bolts are hardly ever depicted in a horizontal manner.

Yes, the lighting reminds me of the pennant from this logo

latest?cb=20130203230954

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Man...what a shot at the Clippers and Ballmer.

Yeah, but a year later I don't think people care anymore and the Clippers are being judged for their results on the court and not what they look like. The Clippy logo was bad, but when your team is decent, that stuff matters less.

I don't think the Chargers have any room to be critiquing any other franchise. And I think throwing away something that was perfectly fine because people Made Fun on the Internet isn't a show of strength but instead the opposite.

Or, I don't know. All of a sudden I'm admiring the Vegas Knights for sticking with their convictions even after the worst logo unveiling of all time. The Chargers can't really seem to do anything right.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Chargers can't really seem to do anything right.

The Chargers bungled the entire situation the moment they announced the move to Los Angeles. 

Even if they would have came out with the best logo on Earth they wouldn't have been able to salvage the situation. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Exactly. The logo was fine

people were only roasting it because of the move (and of course twitter got its roast on. Everyone was trying to go viral)

anything the chargers do for a while will be criticized. Anything

It sucks to see the logo go. I hope it comes back 

If you're trying to play the "We're just moving to our secondary market!" card, you don't want to change anything other than the city name on the logos.  They should have tried to keep it as close to the status quo as possible.  Releasing a brand new logo on the day of the move was a clear signal: "This is not the same team anymore."

24 minutes ago, TJSC said:

That's weird, isn't it? Maybe it's the SD/LA connection, but has there ever been a reason or example where a market receiving a relocated team seemed kind of pissed about it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I live in Long Beach.. About 30 mins from LA and I can tell you that I haven't talked to a single person that wants the Chargers here. LA and SD have always had a rivalry of sorts and I just don't see many LA locals becoming Charger fans. I also don't see many SD locals traveling north for the games. This should be interesting 

3 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Yes, the lighting reminds me of the pennant from this logo

latest?cb=20130203230954

He'll move to L.A. any way that he can

Now this place can't fit many fans

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

- dean in lawss angeles what's goin on dean

- Yeah Mike I, ah, what if the Chargers moved to L.A.?

- waitaseckinwaitaseckinwaitaseckin. dean. dean. the chawjuhs? in LA? that's gawbage. they're the san diego chawjuhs. okay? if they moved to LA they wouldn't be the san diego chawjuhs anymore, okay? so they can't relocate. i mean that's what they aw. okay? san diego chawjuhs, gawt a song an everything, right? right? look, dean, dean, look, you can't just go movin' teams, okay? it's nawt gonna happen. there's no lawss angeles chawjuhs, so there can't be one.

- but New York has the Giants and the Jets!

- this is noo yawk!! it's totally different! it's a footbowl mawket! okay? LA, ya gawt, I dunno, movies, and surfin', and, you know, all dis stuff, it's totally different. the chawjuhs will not move. okay? they just won't. it'll nevuh happen. i promise. nevuh. happen. evuh. back aftuh dis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

That's weird, isn't it? Maybe it's the SD/LA connection, but has there ever been a reason or example where a market receiving a relocated team seemed kind of pissed about it?

They're pissed about it because this might be the first time in history that a franchise moved to a city that didn't want them.

Archived