Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

It's funny you mention that, as I've always thought that the Clippers would be wise to brand themselves as the blue-collar team of LA - the opposite of the glamorous, star-studded and flashy Lakers. It would have been pitch-perfect branding back in '06, when we had a scrappy team with Sam Cassell's veteran savvy, Elton Brand's dominance down low, and Quinton Ross' defense.

Certainly beats empty slogans like "It Takes Everything," "Together We Will," "Pure Basketball" or "Love the Game."

Well with Ballmer owning them you're not likely to see that now. They're the more wealthy team now and the better team on court. But yeah it would have been a great idea during the 3 decades they sucked.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what there is to argue here.  Several actual residents of San Diego have patiently explained that they don't consider the town to be in anyway affiliated with some sort of "greater Los Angeles area", and further, they don't like Los Angeles and find it insulting to be relegated to some sort of satellite status.

It's their city. I'd just believe them, personally.

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure what there is to argue here.  Several actual residents of San Diego have patiently explained that they don't consider the town to be in anyway affiliated with some sort of "greater Los Angeles area", and further, they don't like Los Angeles and find it insulting to be regulated to some sort of satellite status.

It's their city. I'd just believe them, personally.

Just to be clear, the region to which both Los Angeles and San Diego belong is Southern California.  @bosrs1 grants that point, but disputes the meaningfulness of that designation.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Just to be clear, the region to which both Los Angeles and San Diego belong is Southern California.  @bosrs1 grants that point, but disputes the meaningfulness of that designation.

In a broader sense yes they do. But in a social sense "SoCal" is Los Angeles, and Los Angeles only. Just as "NorCal" is the SF Bay Area and the SF Bay Area only. In that sense San Diego is NOT part of SoCal. In the broader sense that both are in the Southern half of the state, yes it's true they're both in SoCal. But it's such a large area that such a distinction is largely meaningless. It's like saying Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are both in Pennsylvania. Yes they are, but that doesn't mean they have anything in common beyond that geographically or socially. And definitely not in a sporting sense.

42 minutes ago, colortv said:

"After 21 years without a team, the league didn't want to rush into L.A. The owners and the league also didn't want to put a second team in the market with the Rams"

^ of course that makes sense, but didn't the league/owners have to approve the move before hand? (i havent been following that closely)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

"After 21 years without a team, the league didn't want to rush into L.A. The owners and the league also didn't want to put a second team in the market with the Rams"

^ of course that makes sense, but didn't the league/owners have to approve the move before hand? (i havent been following that closely)

They approved the Chargers moving last year if they wanted to exercise their option. If San Diego foregoes their option, then the Raiders would have one year to decide whether to move. Both of those relocations were already pre-approved.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Chargers just changed their profile picture across social media yet again. Their brand is a total disaster!

OiRihAR.jpg

So they've rolled it back all the way to their old San Diego logo with a different city name. Wonder if this reconsider and move back to SD thing has legs...

Next thing, the Chargers will remove earphone ports and rebrand as the iCharge7.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 1/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Hmm.  Well, if you're going to doubt that Mitchell Airport (located in Milwaukee) is one of Chicagoland's airports, then you'd have to take that up with the many passengers who use that airport to get to and from Chicago and its northern suburbs.

I'll walk to my destination before I fly there out of Mitchell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/20/2017 at 2:45 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Hmm.  Well, if you're going to doubt that Mitchell Airport (located in Milwaukee) is one of Chicagoland's airports, then you'd have to take that up with the many passengers who use that airport to get to and from Chicago and its northern suburbs.

Anyway, the point here is that Chicago and Milwaukee, while separate cities with separate identities, are both part of the same larger region.  Likewise, San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose are together part of a larger region despite all being separate cities.  The same with Washington and Baltimore.

And (bringing it all home), the same with Los Angeles and San Diego: two distinct cities situated within one geographical region.

Well, I'm not sure if you've ever spent time in Milwaukee.  While yes, Mitchell Field DOES market to northern Illinois, there's no way that it is one of Chicagoland's airports.  If you're going to go there, then Madison is part of Milwaukee, since Dane County Regional Airport advertises itself as an alternative to Milwaukee.  Heck, Rockford's airport touts itself as an alternative to both Chicago and Milwaukee.  I don't think any of that has anything to do with where you're trying to go here.

What you maybe fail to realize is that there is a decent amount of "open space" between Chicago and Milwaukee - it isn't one megalopolis.  Yep, we're both in the upper Midwest, you've got us there.  That's about it.

It's where I sit.

I can't believe this is even a discussion, that is saying that T.F. Green airport in Providence is an airport for Boston. I mean yea sure if you don't want to deal with the cluster :censored: that is logan airport you can go their but it is mainly an airport for Rhode Island and doubters MA until about Cape cod. But outside of that it just begins to become an inconvenience. 

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

What you maybe fail to realize is that there is a decent amount of "open space" between Chicago and Milwaukee - it isn't one megalopolis.  Yep, we're both in the upper Midwest, you've got us there.  That's about it.

Well, technically it is part of a megalopolis, that being the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence corridor that runs from Milwaukee (Twin Cities if you're generous) to Quebec City. There's open space between cities, of course, yeah, I've gone up and down I-94 enough to know that. 

Flying out of Mitchell as a Chicagolander makes sense if you live in northern Lake County and you're flying Southwest, in which case it's probably easier than schlepping down to Midway. Also, if you have a nonstop flight. One time I explored flying from Mitchell to Lambert. It required a layover in Atlanta. Never mind.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, dont care said:

I can't believe this is even a discussion, that is saying that T.F. Green airport in Providence is an airport for Boston. I mean yea sure if you don't want to deal with the cluster :censored: that is logan airport you can go their but it is mainly an airport for Rhode Island and doubters MA until about Cape cod. But outside of that it just begins to become an inconvenience. 

Not disagreeing with you, but several airlines do market Providence as a "Boston Area Airport" along with Manchester, NH.

On 1/21/2017 at 1:09 PM, colortv said:

Probably doing the same thing the Rams are, removing as many traces of the powder blue color scheme so when they change uniforms in 2018 it's a bigger "surprise".

Honestly I just think they have no idea what they want, like, should do, etc. They are a complete mess and in all honesty probably wish they could ask for a mulligan and go back to San Diego. 

Archived