Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Claystation360 said:

But he can finance that 650 million relocation fee to LA. <_<

First, it's $500 million. 650 is what it would have been if they paid it off over a longer period of time.

Second, no interest is included in that. it's a flat 500.

That's about a 1/3 what it would cost to build a stadium in San Diego. Not including interest from construction loans.Even the $300 million from the NFL were in the form of low interest loans which would need to be paid back.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, verno said:

So, based on Los Angeles' past history with supporting NFL teams, any predictions on what having at least two teams will look like in five years?

i expect the Charges to move back to SD is around 10 years time.  Raiders lasted 13 years in LA, its not that big a deal.  SD will welcome them back with open arms when the time comes.

The only reason they are moving to LA in the first place is to block the Raiders from taking over the So Cal market completely.   Dumb owner over reaction.  So Cal was once a 3 team market in the 80s/early 90s... granted the NFL is a different beast today.

We can assume once the Raiders sure up a long term lease in Las Vegas (minimum 30 year lease terms), then Spanos will feel less threatened.

39 minutes ago, duma said:

i expect the Charges to move back to SD is around 10 years time.  Raiders lasted 13 years in LA, its not that big a deal.  SD will welcome them back with open arms when the time comes.

The only reason they are moving to LA in the first place is to block the Raiders from taking over the So Cal market completely.   Dumb owner over reaction.  So Cal was once a 3 team market in the 80s/early 90s... granted the NFL is a different beast today.

We can assume once the Raiders sure up a long term lease in Las Vegas (minimum 30 year lease terms), then Spanos will feel less threatened.

What about the $500 million they will have paid to move to LA?

12 hours ago, duma said:

All stems from Dean's delusion that his San Diego based team had somehow become THE team of all of Southern California. Even when polling and I'm sure his own financial said otherwise. His entry into Los Angeles and subsequent shock at no one giving a :censored:, or being angry with him for being there, belies this. He honestly thought he was going to lose part of his market by losing LA. Fact was, he never had LA to begin with. It's been more a Raiders town even during the last 20 years then it ever was Chargers.

14 hours ago, duma said:

I agree. I think that if the team gets new owners, there would be a very good chance they would leave their melancholy fans in LA for the rabid ones that would re-emerge in SD with a move back. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is just something temporary for the next two seasons, to help distance themselves from the St. Louis colors. I'll be highly disappointed if the Rams don't listen to the fans and decide to not bring back royal and yellow as their colors. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I hope this is just something temporary for the next two seasons, to help distance themselves from the St. Louis colors. I'll be highly disappointed if the Rams don't listen to the fans and decide to not bring back royal and yellow as their colors. 

That's my story as well.  I'm thinking they're deemphasizing the khaki gold for the time being until the new stadium when hopefully yellow gold returns.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:47 AM, kroywen said:

Remember when we all said that the bizarre transitional identity of the Tennessee Oilers would never happen today, thanks to how much emphasis is now put on branding?

I miss the Houston oilers brand identity, particular in comparison to the bland Texans "2014 Atlanta Hawks-esque" pallette.

The NFL should not have allowed the displacement of that in favor of banishment altogether.  Not sure why a Browns deal was not agreed upon 20 years ago.

The Browns deal is horrible and everyone involved should feel bad :P

EDIT- I like the Texans' identity. I like the Oilers' identity. The Titans' identity seems stuck in 2002. 

So ideally we'd have the Houston Texans and Tennessee Oilers.

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Browns deal is horrible and everyone involved should feel bad :P

EDIT- I like the Texans' identity. I like the Oilers' identity. The Titans' identity seems stuck in 2002. 

So ideally we'd have the Houston Texans and Tennessee Oilers.

Okay how about a NFL version 'wife swap'. 

Tennessee Texans and Houston Oilers.

I definitely could live with a modernized dark OR royal blue and white Rams primary set (blue and white pant options?) as long as they kept up with a blue and yellow alt set X2 times a year, maybe with the all yellow as long as Color Rush is around.  Just ditch those toilet bowl collars please.  They already proved they can yellow tape over the horns if needed.

usa_today_9130335_0.jpg

1 hour ago, Jt0323 said:

I dont understand why people think that in 2019 the Rams will do a full change? I mean, once they change their logo to blue and white, they can do another change for 5 years.

No, not at all accurate. You're allowed to make subtle tweaks to a uniform without starting the five year thing all over again. 

The Chargers made a few tweaks to their current uniform set only a few seasons after switching to it.

As for 2019...the team has all but said they'll be rebranding when they move into their new stadium. 

2 hours ago, Jt0323 said:

I dont understand why people think that in 2019 the Rams will do a full change? I mean, once they change their logo to blue and white, they can do another change for 5 years.

It's the NFL's rule, not a law. They waived the five year rule when Shad Khan bought the Jags, and that was a team that had already had many changes even before that waiver. I'm sure the NFL is on board with whatever the Rams are planning to do when they get their stadium.

Archived