Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It's not that there aren't sea lions on the Los Angeles shore, but they don't form a part of the local culture the way they do in San Francisco. 

I get what you mean. I just really like that identity. It's very solid.

In time however, I'm sure the locals will come to love what ever team name they have. I mean, the Lakers seem to have done pretty well in LA right?

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Logojunkie said:

I get what you mean. I just really like that identity. It's very solid.

In time however, I'm sure the locals will come to love what ever team name they have. I mean, the Lakers seem to have done pretty well in LA right?

That has more to do with winning 16 championships, 11 of them in LA. The bucs uniforms could become popular to their fans too if they went on a run of championships too.

The hoopla surrounding all the Rams/Chargers madness is hilarious. I give it three seasons until one team leaves LA and maybe seven until they both do.

Maybe the Raiders can hurry up to Vegas and then we can get the Oakland Ramgers to fill the vacancy.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

14 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

The hoopla surrounding all the Rams/Chargers madness is hilarious. I give it three seasons until one team leaves LA and maybe seven until they both do.

The Rams will not leave again.  They're set for decades with their new stadium. 

21 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Yeah, but both of those situations were completely different from this one, in different ways.  The Browns/Ravens were moving to a place that had lost an NFL team, and desperately wanted a team back-- they had the "CFL Colts/Stallions" only a few years earlier, and they were in the expansion sweepstakes of '93 and lost out. They knew they weren't getting the name "Colts" back, so they were happy with whatever was offered-- I went to a game their 1st season in Baltimore, and the unbridled joy the fans seemed to have was noticeable.

The Oilers/Titans situation was that while Bud Adams announced a deal to move to Nashville after the 1995 season, but wouldn't actually move until 1998 when the new Nashville stadium was planned to be opened (it was later delayed till 1999). Thus, he was in no hurry to come up with a new name.  He played the first lame duck year in Houston (1996), which was a disaster. got permission from the league to play in Memphis for 1997 and 98, and when 1997 in Memphis was a disaster, got league permission to play the 1998 season in Vanderbilt Stadium.  They unveiled the new unis and name to coincide with their opening in the new stadium, which luckily was also the year they won the AFC and played in the Super Bowl (in the battle of relocated teams, St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans).  It's easy for a team, new name and all-- to "hit it off" when they get that far in their 1st year.

What we have with San Diego is a team that is moving about an hour and a half away from their home of over 50 years, to a place that just got NFL football back after about a twenty-year hiatus, and to a locals that really don't want them there.

I do think, though, that  IF THE CHARGERS WERE REALLY GOOD (like, getting to the playoffs-good), they should go with the re-brand.  Long-term, you'd probably get a bunch of youngsters with no memory of the LA Rams following the new LA Surf/Sun/Smog, while the old timers gravitate towards the team of their youth, the LA Rams.

But as Gothamite so perfectly states, Spanos gonna Spanos.

Well you may still get a rebrand in the Bud Adams Oliers/Titans vein. Remember they're playing two placeholder years in StubHub Center. A natural jumping off point to try to one up Kroenke in his own palace would be to rebrand with a solidly LA identity when the Chargers move into it. I mean for now they seem content to soldier on with the Chargers identity since they don't have to sell many tickets. But they're going to have to sell PSLs and big season ticket packages to fill a 70,000 seat stadium and all it's club seats, luxury boxes, etc... And trying to sell them the crappy Chargers product wrapped in a cast off San Diego brand isn't going to sell well to anyone (and yes the Chargers name was founded in LA, but 6 months vs 56 years made it a solely San Diego brand).

I really don't see the Chargers adopting a new name.  The name is no more a cast-off than the team is.  Brand equity is worth so much to an NFL team, they only rebrand when absolutely necessary - usually because the old identity is so tied to the prior location, like the Oilers or Texans.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Looks like the navy and white logo is 100% official as it's now on the top banner of the NFL's site.

Sc5osDL.png

I really hope the gold is removed from the uniforms because if not then it's going to be really annoying.

It won't be. This has been stated a number of times. The new uniforms are coming in 2019.

29 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

I know I'm in the minority but I would've loved black/gold/platinum look for the Rams in LA.

not a fan of just the blue and white for them but to each their own. 

Then you're gonna love LAFC. That is the colors they are going with, Black and Gold. (granted that's a different kind of football)

Look, this isn't so out of the ordinary...

The Cowboys' primary logo has no silver/gray.  The Panthers' primary logo has no silver.  The Buccaneers' logo has no pewter.  The Bills' logo has no navy, and the Chiefs' logo has no gold.

Conversely, the Vikings, Cardinals, Ravens, Steelers, Redskins, and (again) Chiefs all have primary logos that feature colors that are no where to be found on their actual uniforms.  And nobody outside of this fine community notices or cares.

The Rams have decided to wait to redesign their uniforms until they move into their new stadium.  Logical. They've also decided, obviously in preparation for this uniform change, to de-emphasize the dull vegas gold now, by removing the color from their logo, a change the NFL apparently allows without the same amount of rules and red tape. IMO, this tells us pretty much next to nothing about that coming change. And that's all there is to it.  

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Rams have decided to wait to redesign their uniforms until they move into their new stadium.  Logical.

It's not logical at all. The only logical thing to do was to rebrand to Los Angeles Rams colors immediately.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Years after they've completed their actual rebrand and are fully settled in LA, these few years during which the Rams chose to wait to make the change will be negligible. It appears that the predominant complaint here about them not making the change now is that folks would like to see the classic colors in action sooner rather than later. However, I personally think that if the Rams have decided that they want the opening of their lavish new stadium to be the true grand opening of this new era in LA, then so be it. We will have the classic colors in due time, and hopefully for a long time after that.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So long as the royal and athletic gold do indeed return, then this brief wait won't matter.  

I will buy into the "wait" IF they unveil something very similar to their old LA look. If they unveil a new design done in royal/yellow I don't see the point in not using the throwback look until then.

15 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I will buy into the "wait" IF they unveil something very similar to their old LA look. If they unveil a new design done in royal/yellow I don't see the point in not using the throwback look until then.

They wouldn't be allowed to use the throwback look and then three years later unveil an entirely new one.  They were allowed to change on short notice because of the move, but then the five-year rule would have kicked in.

New design for the move, or new design for the stadium.  I don't think I agree with the decision to wait until the stadium opens, but that was the choice.  

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They wouldn't be allowed to use the throwback look and then three years later unveil an entirely new one.  They were allowed to change on short notice because of the move, but then the five-year rule would have kicked in.

New design for the move, or new design for the stadium.  I don't think I agree with the decision to wait until the stadium opens, but that was the choice.  

Seems common sense for the NFL to let them change on the move to LA and then change again on the move to the new stadium. Not sure why the NFL can't use a bit of latitude on these issues. 

Archived