Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Seems common sense for the NFL to let them change on the move to LA and then change again on the move to the new stadium. Not sure why the NFL can't use a bit of latitude on these issues. 

Because they need to work with Nike and a number of other manufacturers. Changing to the throwbacks on short notice would have been acceptable, but Nike would have then had to ramp up production for throwback LA Rams gear while sitting on stockpiles of unsold St. Louis Rams gear. 

Then they, if they did what you want, would have to change gears only three years later for the redesign to coincide with the stadium. Meaning they'd be sitting on another stockpile of throwback LA Rams gear.

We're not in the early 90s anymore, where fans can get a team to cancel an unpopular new logo one day after its unveiled. Licence holders mass produce products months before official unveilings, and often produce enough merchandise to last for at least five years. 

That's why the NFL has the five year rule. They want to give Nike and other manufacturers a five year window to stop production of current gear so there isn't an unsold stockpile of it when a new look is introduced.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in Barcelona last year I went to FCB's stadium and team store (the biggest team store I've ever seen) and they were selling jerseys of all different styles.  I had to google to figure out which one was current and which was the previous years.  THere was no consistency on the rack.  I think the stripes were in different directions or something like that - vertical vs horizontal.  Nobody seemed to care, as I saw people buying both.  The NFL is super brand conscious so maybe they don't want similar situations.  Just a thought.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If so, then why can soccer teams around the world easily change their uniforms on a yearly basis?

Because soccer clubs introduce their new uniforms with a built-in expiration date.  And their production cycle is designed around it, scaling back on existing stock as a jersey begins to reach the end of its cycle, all the while working to ramp up supplies of the new one.  

The NFL, with its designs available indefinitely, has an entirely different production model.  You can't really compare the two.  

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When I was in Barcelona last year I went to FCB's stadium and team store (the biggest team store I've ever seen) and they were selling jerseys of all different styles.  I had to google to figure out which one was current and which was the previous years.  THere was no consistency on the rack.  I think the stripes were in different directions or something like that - vertical vs horizontal.  Nobody seemed to care, as I saw people buying both.  The NFL is super brand conscious so maybe they don't want similar situations.  Just a thought.

They're equally brand-conscious, just in a different way.   There the brands are drawn in broader strokes - Arsenal is a red shirt with white sleeves. Chelsea is blue shirt and shorts with white socks. Barcelona is red and blue stripes.  

arse50_3242863b.jpg

Keep in mind that it's also extremely rare for teams to change color schemes; most go back for many generations, if not over a hundred years. 

Because clubs change designs so often, but not colors, they can experiment within those wide parameters.  So Barcelona's stripes can be even or of varying widths.  They can be thin, or so wide that the shirt essentially becomes quartered.  The stripes can have clear, distinct lines or be gradient-fuzzy. They can even be hoops for a cycle, although I understand that hasn't gone over so well with the supporters. 

HmFNA.jpg

FC+Barcelona+v+Sampdoria+Pre+Season+Frie

14755536-BARCELONA-JANUARY-25-FC-Barcelo

e47909810f8075510eb21dc5fe16d3a6.jpg

So within those broad strokes, they're extremely brand-conscious.  Each of those pictures is identifiably Barcelona, although all the details are different.  That's because as brand-conscious as they are, they're also used to a certain amount of experimentation, which is again tied to the predetermined lifespan of every uniform. 

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Because soccer clubs introduce their new uniforms with a built-in expiration date.  And their production cycle is designed around it, scaling back on existing stock as a jersey begins to reach the end of its cycle, all the while working to ramp up supplies of the new one.  

The NFL, with its designs available indefinitely, has an entirely different production model.  You can't really compare the two.  

But didn't Nike have to dump all the St. Louis stuff anyway? I get the 5yr for most teams but when a team moves it would seem they should be the exception to the rule. 

There's a difference between having to get rid of some merchandise (that explicitly labeled "St. Louis") and getting rid of all of it.  

Much of the stiff just has the primary logo; I'd wager that there wasn't much more "St. Louis" merchandise than there was for any particular player who could be traded or cut, and teams/Nike eat that all the time. 

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There's a difference between having to get rid of some merchandise (that explicitly labeled "St. Louis") and getting rid of all of it.  

Much of the stiff just has the primary logo; I'd wager that there wasn't much more "St. Louis" merchandise than there was for any particular player who could be traded or cut, and teams/Nike eat that all the time. 

Exactly. The jerseys don't even include the city name! All of that old St. Louis Rams stock could be sold as Los Angeles Rams stock without much fuss. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Exactly. The jerseys don't even include the city name! All of that old St. Louis Rams stock could be sold as Los Angeles Rams stock without much fuss. 

Any idea roughly what we're talking dollar wise? Seems with the money NFL teams throw around they could buy out Nike's inventory at their cost and start over. Or are we talking billions? 

36 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Any idea roughly what we're talking dollar wise? Seems with the money NFL teams throw around they could buy out Nike's inventory at their cost and start over. Or are we talking billions? 

It doesn't really matter because why would a team decide to do a buy out when they can just wait alittle while and make just as much.

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

It doesn't really matter because why would a team decide to do a buy out when they can just wait alittle while and make just as much.

Well, I'd argue that they would sell much more royal/yellow throwback stuff if they wore that full time. I'm shocked if anyone is actually buying the St. Louis navy/gold at all. 

Furthermore, it would be a huge goodwill gesture to the LA fans. A way of saying we are fully done with St. Louis and are truly LA's team. We all saw the 25,000 or so that were at the late season games in LA. My guess is they need as much goodwill as they can muster. 

6 hours ago, dont care said:

IMO, Because the present value of that cash flow is much greater than the value of that cash flow postponed a few years. 

I just saw an updated logosheet with it updated for LA, no uniform changes or color changes, looks like they just switched out San Diego for Los Angeles in the wordmark, just like the Rams did.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

18 hours ago, TornadoGTS said:

I just saw an updated logosheet with it updated for LA, no uniform changes or color changes, looks like they just switched out San Diego for Los Angeles in the wordmark, just like the Rams did.

They'll probably wait until they move into the new stadium in Inglewood or return to SD. 

Archived