Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  I wonder how hard they tried, considering the league is just the owners and the owners had just given him the green light to move, it stands to reason he could have gotten an exception (even if it cost some $) - if he really wanted one

Don't forget how hard it was to get that green light.  The league fought him every step of the way.  It finally took a combination of St. Louis failing to come up with a viable proposal to keep the team, and Kroenke's stadium proposal being so obviously superior to that of Spanos and Davis.  And even then the other owners extracted some pretty stiff concessions from Kroenke before they finally granted him permission to relocate.  The Rams weren't exactly in a position to make demands at that point. 

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

The Rams will be navy and white in 2019.

I think you'll be proven wrong in two years, but we'll see.

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

They changed their logo to navy and white. All of their marketing materials since they moved to LA have been navy and white. I'll believe they're switching to royal blue and athletic gold when I see them do it.

The tweaks that they've been letting fans vote on have been described by the team as being part of minor redesign that will be replaced by a full rebrand in 2019. They're basically saying that whatever branding they're using now won't matter long-term because a full brand re-boot is coming. And I'm guessing that will feature athletic gold paired with either royal or navy blue.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If people are acting like "the sky is falling", it's because of the nature of the board.  We all care about athletic aesthetics, and it's fair to criticize a team that has gone out of their way to intentionally make their visual identity a total mess, when there was no need to do so.  I'm extremely disappointed in this move for several reasons:

I can understand the sentiment that if they can't go blue and athletic gold by 2019 they ought to just sit tight with navy and old gold until then.

That being said...people decrying what is obviously a stop-gap measure as some sort of abomination (when this league has its fair share of actual abominations in the form of the Jags, Bucs, and Browns' uniforms) really seem to be overreacting. I mean I would get the outrage if this was intended to be a full-time look for the foreseeable future, but it's not. The team has outright stated that these changes will be washed away with a full rebrand in 2019.

You're right, this is the nature of this board. I'm just not sure it's a good thing. Everyone seems so prone to overreacting to every little thing. Every new tweak or rebrand is either the greatest or worst thing ever. I don't want to come off as an old people, but I seem to remember a time when discussion here at least had a little room for nuance. Not just people trying out-hyperbole each other.

All fair points, but I still think that it benefits all the other owners if the team is a success in LA and is selling tons of merch (as long as it's not at the team store) so it would have been in everyone's best interest to swallow their pride and do what's (*sigh*) "best for business".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

All fair points, but I still think that it benefits all the other owners if the team is a success in LA and is selling tons of merch (as long as it's not at the team store) so it would have been in everyone's best interest to swallow their pride and do what's (*sigh*) "best for business".

I don't disagree. Ideally the league would have let the Rams go with the throwbacks for three years and then debut their newly redesigned uniforms in 2019. The league nixed that plan though, probably because Nike could still sell those leftover St. Louis Rams jerseys in LA (the city name doesn't appear anywhere on them).

So given the limitations the Rams were forced to work within? I don't really mind what they're doing.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't disagree. Ideally the league would have let the Rams go with the throwbacks for three years and then debut their newly redesigned uniforms in 2019. The league nixed that plan though, probably because Nike could still sell those leftover St. Louis Rams jerseys in LA (the city name doesn't appear anywhere on them).

So given the limitations the Rams were forced to work within? I don't really mind what they're doing.

There has to be some break-even point where the increased sales of throwback jerseys makes up for the lost sales of old STL jerseys.

Considering those jerseys would theoretically return to throwback status after something new debuts in 2019, they still maintain that revenue stream

Is it easy to get numbers on jersey sales?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think you'll be proven wrong in two years, but we'll see.

The tweaks that they've been letting fans vote on have been described by the team as being part of minor redesign that will be replaced by a full rebrand in 2019. They're basically saying that whatever branding they're using now won't matter long-term because a full brand re-boot is coming. And I'm guessing that will feature athletic gold paired with either royal or navy blue.

I can understand the sentiment that if they can't go blue and athletic gold by 2019 they ought to just sit tight with navy and old gold until then.

That being said...people decrying what is obviously a stop-gap measure as some sort of abomination (when this league has its fair share of actual abominations in the form of the Jags, Bucs, and Browns' uniforms) really seem to be overreacting. I mean I would get the outrage if this was intended to be a full-time look for the foreseeable future, but it's not. The team has outright stated that these changes will be washed away with a full rebrand in 2019.

You're right, this is the nature of this board. I'm just not sure it's a good thing. Everyone seems so prone to overreacting to every little thing. Every new tweak or rebrand is either the greatest or worst thing ever. I don't want to come off as an old people, but I seem to remember a time when discussion here at least had a little room for nuance. Not just people trying out-hyperbole each other.

I’m kinda predicting the same thing. It just feels like they’re trolling everyone with this navy and white nonsense, and are going to surprise them with a beautiful blue and yellow uniform in 2019.

I love the new pants. That’s the stripe design that should be used with the blue and yellow jersey, and I prefer the simple wedge on the shoulder like the wear now instead of overdoing the horn motif there.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

This is something I made up.

hekker 4.png

This is going to be super unpopular, but I'd like to see a tiny bit of gold brought onto the pants and helmet if they're going to do this weird half rebrand. Not a lot, but just enough so that they all look like uniform elements from the same team. I'd put very thin gold stripes on either side of the blue pant stripe, and either a very thin gold outline on the white horn (maybe only on the top to mimic a highlight) or bring back the knobby horns with gold details. Again, I don't want a lot of gold, but I think you could make them look better close up, and then they would still look navy/white from far away.

Anybody that had the displeasure of taking in a game in St Louis the year before they relocated already saw the trend of downplaying gold from most of the signage/graphics surrounding the field. Hell, Demoff even suggested as such in interviews that he was a big fan of the blue and white look. I think this was beginning to happen long before they arrived in LA.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Archived