Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think any designer/manufacturer would use black and navy for contrast between elements (you're not not putting a navy number on a black jersey) but to create a "deeper" color palette. for instance, with WVU's colors, you get a wider range of value, from yellow to black rather than yellow to navy.

in that example, black being a tertiary color (not in the sense of mixing colors as OSV pointed out but as being the 3rd in the palette in hierarchy) is just that - a 3rd color. they dont use it to separate elements or make anything more readable or stand out, they use it to create a unique color palette. overall, WVU's uniform is a much more modern take on the traditional design due to it's careful use of black

I disagree that royal blue works better with black than the old color, but both colors were wrong for them. They should have used a brighter, electric blue. And I don't see any way they could effectively use black with their current scheme. Any black you use would have to be separated from blue by white, and even then, it would look blue from a distance.

Also, McCarthy, since you're good with photoshop, would you mind photoshopping the photo you posted to have royal blue helmets and white numbers, while keeping the horns yellow? I think that's the perfect Rams look.

left the guy on the left in the regular uniform so you could compare and contrast

always felt like there was too much yellow on that jersey and that flipping the numbers to white was a very easy solution. I really like how this looks.

just for giggle times I took out the white stripe on Bradford's pants to see what that would look like.

I think if you're going to go that route it's still better just to use a single thick bold stripe rather than two small stripes.

thats much better. with the white stripe, your eye is attracted to it because it's the element that contrast the most and there is no other white in the uniform. take it away and the uniform is much more balanced. from top to bottom, you now have a uniform with great unity and rhythm - there isn't anything that is out of place. its a nice use of yellow-blue from top to bottom.

but, for a better palette and more contrast, i personally like the numbers in white like the example before.

(Photos removed for space...)

I definitely like the removal of the white stripe for the same reason. My eyes are kinda drawn right to that stripe. That double-blue stripe looks nice, at least in a vacuum. Of course, as someone points out, it does not match anything else on the uniform, but that's also true of the blue/white/blue stripes. I really did not like the one wide blue stripe. It may be more consistent, so maybe it's just a personal preference thing (I don't like the Steelers pants stripe, either).

As for the numbers, I love the lack of white on the jersey and it goes nice with the helmet (assuming the helmet and jersey colors match). I think the Rams can kinda own that "no white on the home uniform" look. The concept with the white numbers, to me, throws the balance off. White and yellow are very separated from each other and it damages the continuity with the helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Since they're keeping navy and metallic gold for a while, I really hope they break out some gold/khaki pants. At least for the home games in those navy jerseys.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Guys, it's too soon to have anything new. They only officially became the Los Angeles Rams 3 days ago. This mirrors what the Rams did when they moved to St. Louis.

There will be a new color scheme and new uniforms, but not for a little bit.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Guys, it's too soon to have anything new. They only officially became the Los Angeles Rams 3 days ago. This mirrors what the Rams did when they moved to St. Louis.

I agree. Changes aren't happening right away, but the burning question now is: Will it last for the first year, when the Inglewood stadium opens, or somewhere inbetween (2 years from now)?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

It's disappointing, but there's still a tiny chance they surprise us all at the draft and be all like "JK, we're blue and yellow!"

As we've said, they would only have been able to make a change had they had something in the works all along. The home and road jerseys didn't have "St. Louis" marking anywhere on them, so it wasn't a situation where they had to change.

Still, they put up a video on their website showing images and video of past Rams with current players. Of the current Rams, about 3/4 of the images and clips they used were of them in the throwbacks. I think they realize LA fans want royal blue and yellow, and whenever they rebrand (hopefully prior to the new stadium), it'll be to the classic colors. They might F things up by adding an unnecessary third color. They might even do something dumb like letting Nike BuffaloSabre them into navy and yellow with BS reasoning that it's an "updated return" to the classic look. But I'm confident that when the change is made, they'll look a lot more like the old LA Rams than the STL ones.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

exactly, and even if they are working on something now, IF there's anything new it will be released together. right now, they just need to update their wordmark to serve their promotional purposes. i still think they may not change anything else this year and instead have a new identity (or changes, more accurately) in 2017. i think we'll find out around draft time for sure

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's disappointing, but there's still a tiny chance they surprise us all at the draft and be all like "JK, we're blue and yellow!"

As we've said, they would only have been able to make a change had they had something in the works all along. The home and road jerseys didn't have "St. Louis" marking anywhere on them, so it wasn't a situation where they had to change.

Still, they put up a video on their website showing images and video of past Rams with current players. Of the current Rams, about 3/4 of the images and clips they used were of them in the throwbacks. I think they realize LA fans want royal blue and yellow, and whenever they rebrand (hopefully prior to the new stadium), it'll be to the classic colors. They might F things up by adding an unnecessary third color. They might even do something dumb like letting Nike BuffaloSabre them into navy and yellow with BS reasoning that it's an "updated return" to the classic look. But I'm confident that when the change is made, they'll look a lot more like the old LA Rams than the STL ones.

But that's the thing... To look more like the LA Rams of yesteryear, literally all they need to do is recolor the current uniforms. I think this logo reveal says that nothing is changing for 2016. If the NFL requires a 2-year notice, then I would expect the earliest the Rams can change anything is 2018. But at that point, they're a year away from the grand opening of the stadium, so they may as well wait.

And yes, I'm worried Nike is gonna do something crazy with the Rams. Hopefully they might actually take a page out of the MLB, which has been doing some good modernizations of old looks as of late.

I know it's apples and orange since it's back lit but this looks pretty royal/yellow to me.

NewRams.jpg

Just the lighting, I think. Switching to blue and yellow is a big deal, and they almost surely would have made a note of it if it was going to happen this season.

Archived