Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Are there any other teams that use a color on their jersey that isn't seen anywhere else in their uniform besides the Rams and Cowboys? Steelers, Chiefs, Vikings and 49ers use colors on their helmet that aren't used anywhere else but I can't think of any other team that does that with their jersey? 

The 49ers do this in reverse - there's no gold on their jerseys, although it's obviously a major part of their scheme.

Matchy-matchy for its own sake is overrated.  I'm not bothered if the jerseys have a touch of accent color not found on the helmets and pants, especially if the helmets and pants match.  

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The 49ers do this in reverse - there's no gold on their jerseys, although it's obviously a major part of their scheme. 

Ah, right, good call. And then black on the helmet but nowhere else. 

The hint of black on the helmet only always really bothered me with the Chiefs. Thought they should at least outline the numerals in black or something but, when I've tried to mock up, I can't get it to look quite right. Could be why they have never done it.

Chiefs.jpg

I was going to mention the Chiefs, but you specified the jersey so I couldn't make it fit.  You raise a good point - we could force gold on to the helmet, but it always looks forced.  Sometimes you don't need every element of a uniform to carry every piece of the brand itself.  It's okay to use the various parts to make a cohesive gestalt.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

They didn't invent straight lines until 1950? Is your story documented anywhere?

Football was better when it was non-Euclidean. I once saw a guy kick and miss a field goal at the same time from the 40-yard hyperbola.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Does anyone know if they are allowed and will change the logo on the sleeve. Removing the gold from it could help out the look at least a little. 

I'd imagine so.. It's a non-major tweak, and it's the same logo just recolored.. But then again, the NFL might view it as the straw that broke the ram's back

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I don't like the idea of the Rams going to blue and white. The Colts are already a thing, and now that they're in LA I think it would be a shame for them to not utilize more Gold/Yellow.

Navy and White is Different than Royal and White. Does anyone complain that the Yankees are White and Navy and the Dodgers are Royal and White? The Royals and Dodgers have basically the same uniforms but everyone considers them nice sets.

6 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Navy and White is Different than Royal and White. Does anyone complain that the Yankees are White and Navy and the Dodgers are Royal and White? The Royals and Dodgers have basically the same uniforms but everyone considers them nice sets.

Yeah, and that's a different sport. The vast majority of baseball uniforms look the same anyway. I'm also not in favour of teams looking similar. This isn't a similar case though. A better example would be the mariners throwing away teal from the colour scheme 

The rams would have a great scheme with yellow, I wouldn't want them to throw it away to look like a (darkened) colts.

5 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Baseball has its own aesthetics. The gray road uniform would look garish on a football field, but makes for baseball, no matter what colors the team wears. Football has long since given up the leather helmet and canvas pants for 'modern' looks, that even a team such as Green Bay looks nothing like themselves when they 'throw back' while the Yankees are barely noticeable.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Football was better when it was non-Euclidean. I once saw a guy kick and miss a field goal at the same time from the 40-yard hyperbola.

Not many people know this, but the NFL owners had planned a meeting where they would have voted to play the 1942 season on a Möbius field.  That meeting was to be held on December 7, 1941 and was cancelled after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

3sogO.png

21 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Does anyone know if they are allowed and will change the logo on the sleeve. Removing the gold from it could help out the look at least a little. 

If they were allowed to do that, they would have just stripped the gold from everything.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's not "detail".  That's just a result of the techonogical limitations of the day.  The horns are meant to be just as smooth as the current horns.  But back then there were no decals to place on the helmets; and the helmets didn't have even surfaces. That snaggly horn is the result of having to paint by hand on an irregular surface.

This can’t be true. Ram horns are not smooth, and the detail seen here is clearly intentional. It wouldn’t be so rhythmic if it was unintentional.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Ah, right, good call. And then black on the helmet but nowhere else. 

The hint of black on the helmet only always really bothered me with the Chiefs. Thought they should at least outline the numerals in black or something but, when I've tried to mock up, I can't get it to look quite right. Could be why they have never done it.

Chiefs.jpg

I really like the Chiefs’ helmet logo with a gold outline rather than black (and either a plain red KC, or changing the drop shadow on that to yellow as well). It matches the numbers perfectly, and maintains their unique look much better than integrating black into the rest of the uniform does.

black doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t look like the Chiefs. I think they would need to do something more interesting and unique with the striping if they were to add black to the uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

34 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

If they were allowed to do that, they would have just stripped the gold from everything.

I don't think that's the same.. A slight recoloring of a reasonably small sleeve logo that remains on the exact same color sleeve, in the exact same location, and the exact same size, while changing nothing else about the jersey is very different from changing s jersey's design by removing colors entirely

22 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't think that's the same.. A slight recoloring of a reasonably small sleeve logo that remains on the exact same color sleeve, in the exact same location, and the exact same size, while changing nothing else about the jersey is very different from changing s jersey's design by removing colors entirely

I'm pretty sure the idea is to keep the jersey that's sold to fans the same.  If they were going to change the logo on the sleeve, then I think that would be just as drastic as dropping the gold entirely.  It was obviously their goal for these next two years; if they could have, they would have.

32 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Sadly, it isn't. If memory serves, the Patriots had to wait a couple years after changing the wordmark in their endzones to update their jerseys as well. The NFL is exceptionally strict with enforcing this rule.

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

19 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I'm pretty sure the idea is to keep the jersey that's sold to fans the same.  If they were going to change the logo on the sleeve, then I think that would be just as drastic as dropping the gold entirely.  It was obviously their goal for these next two years; if they could have, they would have.

The idea is to keep the jersey virtually the same.. Teams dropping the toilet bowl collars being a prime example.. Updating the sleeve logo is something that would go virtually unnoticed, and anyone who did notice would find it to be a logical update..

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's not "detail".  That's just a result of the techonogical limitations of the day.  The horns are meant to be just as smooth as the current horns.  But back then there were no decals to place on the helmets; and the helmets didn't have even surfaces. That snaggly horn is the result of having to paint by hand on an irregular surface.

RAM_zpsspwf9kmz.png

12 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The idea is to keep the jersey virtually the same.. Teams dropping the toilet bowl collars being a prime example.. Updating the sleeve logo is something that would go virtually unnoticed, and anyone who did notice would find it to be a logical update..

im sure there's both some production issues and rule issues with that. and if they could have switched the logo, they would have done it in the mockups. 

far gone are the times (specifically 1947) when a team's owner (specifically the Rams) could call the NFL and ask about painting his teams helmets, because that had never been done before, to receive the answer: "its your team, do whatever you want". 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I know it's been several years, but let's not forget the Rams dropped the side panels and changed number fonts after only a year or two in the current set.. And again, the toilet bowl collars are a great example.. The production issues with a sleeve patch are different than an embroidered chest wordmark, so I could see it being replaced easily.. I'm not saying it'll definitely be done but I think it could be done.. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if it was just overlooked completely, given the fact that we are talking about the Rams here..

Archived