Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very disappointed by the logo-wordmark and colors. It looks too much like St. Louis which they need to get away from immediately. I was really hoping they would return to the wordmark they had when they left

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/188/full/grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

Their throwbacks should be used as the immediate uniform and a white jersey from '94 as the away jersey, then if they wanted to make any changes do it in 2019 when they open the new stadium. Big mistake, they still look too St. Louis-like

Seems like they have changes in mind, but not necessarily in place (or approved). The updated wordmark gives the idea that they had something ready for the move, but not the complete package yet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The font for Los Angeles miiiiiiiiiight give us something to look at for next year.

It kind of looks like the LA Kings wordmark font, a bit...

RAMS SWITCHING TO BLACK AND SILVER! And the new stadium will be called Burger King Field! It all makes sense now.

I'm very disappointed by the logo-wordmark and colors. It looks too much like St. Louis which they need to get away from immediately. I was really hoping they would return to the wordmark they had when they left

Their throwbacks should be used as the immediate uniform and a white jersey from '94 as the away jersey, then if they wanted to make any changes do it in 2019 when they open the new stadium. Big mistake, they still look too St. Louis-like

Weren't these same complaints completely valid back in 1995 when the Rams waited five season to change away from their LA look? Just like today, all the Rams really did back in 1995 was introduce a new primary wordmark (out of necessity). They took their time to actually change up their uniforms. A rebrand ready for 1995 actually made sense since the Dome was ready from the start. But here, given it's going to be three seasons in a temporary home, there's actually a good marketing reason to wait.

Also, the NFL limits teams to just four home games of alternates/throwbacks, right? So the Rams can't wear their current alternates for all the home games. Likewise, they can't just bring back a jersey from 1994 without notifying the NFL at least 2 years in advance. I think the Rams would have liked to trot out in 2016 wearing blue and yellow, but logistically, just won't be able to. So, they either have this weird hybrid look between St. Louis some games and old Los Angeles some others, or they simply wait until 2019 to roll out a new brand identity.

The font for Los Angeles miiiiiiiiiight give us something to look at for next year.

It kind of looks like the LA Kings wordmark font, a bit...

RAMS SWITCHING TO BLACK AND SILVER! And the new stadium will be called Burger King Field! It all makes sense now.

Weren't these same complaints completely valid back in 1995 when the Rams waited five season to change away from their LA look? Just like today, all the Rams really did back in 1995 was introduce a new primary wordmark (out of necessity). They took their time to actually change up their uniforms. A rebrand ready for 1995 actually made sense since the Dome was ready from the start. But here, given it's going to be three seasons in a temporary home, there's actually a good marketing reason to wait.

Hmmmm sort of...the Rams played at Busch Stadium II for a few games...like half a season.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

i dont think any designer/manufacturer would use black and navy for contrast between elements (you're not not putting a navy number on a black jersey) but to create a "deeper" color palette. for instance, with WVU's colors, you get a wider range of value, from yellow to black rather than yellow to navy.

in that example, black being a tertiary color (not in the sense of mixing colors as OSV pointed out but as being the 3rd in the palette in hierarchy) is just that - a 3rd color. they dont use it to separate elements or make anything more readable or stand out, they use it to create a unique color palette. overall, WVU's uniform is a much more modern take on the traditional design due to it's careful use of black

I disagree that royal blue works better with black than the old color, but both colors were wrong for them. They should have used a brighter, electric blue. And I don't see any way they could effectively use black with their current scheme. Any black you use would have to be separated from blue by white, and even then, it would look blue from a distance.

Also, McCarthy, since you're good with photoshop, would you mind photoshopping the photo you posted to have royal blue helmets and white numbers, while keeping the horns yellow? I think that's the perfect Rams look.

left the guy on the left in the regular uniform so you could compare and contrast

Rams3_zpsvcv53zey.jpg

always felt like there was too much yellow on that jersey and that flipping the numbers to white was a very easy solution. I really like how this looks.

just for giggle times I took out the white stripe on Bradford's pants to see what that would look like.

Rams4_zpsn5jtoq9g.jpg

I think if you're going to go that route it's still better just to use a single thick bold stripe rather than two small stripes.

thats much better. with the white stripe, your eye is attracted to it because it's the element that contrast the most and there is no other white in the uniform. take it away and the uniform is much more balanced. from top to bottom, you now have a uniform with great unity and rhythm - there isn't anything that is out of place. its a nice use of yellow-blue from top to bottom.

but, for a better palette and more contrast, i personally like the numbers in white like the example before.

The white needs to go from the pants, and yes, a single stripe would look better given the weight of the helmet and shoulder graphics.

The white numbers make the white pant stripe passable, but 1. the whole getup looks a bit dated and 2. it ceases to look like the Rams. I'd be much more inclined to keep the yellow numbers and switch the pants to white with a blue and yellow stripe. There is a whole lot of blue and yellow in that uniform and altering the color ratio is something to be explored.

Lastly, I much prefer the standard shoulder loops that were worn in the blue and white era. The horns on the shoulders illustrate perfectly the concept of "too much of a good thing." They're redundant, for one, and no ram has four horns to begin with, let alone horns on its shoulders.

P.S. I agree on the use of black. Black is often thought to be a bad companion to other dark-valued hues, but if you carefully and thoroughly incorporate it into your design, it can most definitely add interest. It's not traditional (though traditional American style always dictated black shoes and belts with navy blue suits), but if you own it as your driving concept, back can certainly work with navy blue, brown, dark green, etc. Problems arise when a random black element infiltrates a design otherwise devoid of it, like the Vikings' facemask or the Chiefs' and 49ers' logo detailing.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly something is wrong here.

1. The Rams have the uniforms (they use them already)

2. They need to reprint everything with their logo anyway (so it says Los Angeles instead of St. Louis)

Is this going to be another Chargers baby blue deal where the fans want the royal/yellow and the owner like gold so he refuses to change? It's not adding up.

St.-Louis-Rams-2012-2013-Alternate-Throw

Just a placeholder until an entirely new set can be put together, likely in time for 2017.

Keep in mind, after relocation, it took the Tennessee Oilers/Titans a whole year to get their new motif created and unveiled.

6uXNWAo.png

My guess is that the logos revealed are just placeholders until a new LA Rams look is unveiled. I don't think they'll last more than one year. I'd say there's even a chance they unveil a new look for 2016 still.

Kind of doubt at this point we'll see anything new for 2016. Possibly 2017, I agree with that. But I think the Rams would much rather wait until 2019 and sell replica retro merchandise in the interim.

This is how you do it LA Rams. When Rick Neuheisel was named the UW Husky coach, the first thing he did at the press conference was hold up a gold UW helmet (UW had been wearing purple helmets for years leading up to it much to the distain of the fans).

Can you imagine if Stan would have done this? He'd of been even more or a hero than he already is to Los Angeles. Very easy.

neuheisel_index.jpg

This is how you do it LA Rams. When Rick Neuheisel was named the UW Husky coach, the first thing he did at the press conference was hold up a gold UW helmet (UW had been wearing purple helmets for years leading up to it much to the distain of the fans).

Can you imagine if Stan would have done this? He'd of been even more or a hero than he already is to Los Angeles. Very easy.

neuheisel_index.jpg

You know, successful people don't imitate Rick Neuheisel for a reason.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

neuheisel_index.jpg

You know, successful people don't imitate Rick Neuheisel for a reason.

Oh I know he's had his issues but it was the one thing he did that was perfect at UW.

For what it's worth, only royal is used:

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/688114353212489732

Interesting. All shots of the current team have them wearing their royal/yellow throwback colors. Hmm.

They have already acknowledged that LA rams fans have a preferred color scheme, so my guess is the Rams will be royal blue and yellow again, or a darker blue and yellow. I highly doubt they keep the gold.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

For what it's worth, only royal is used:

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/688114353212489732

Interesting. All shots of the current team have them wearing their royal/yellow throwback colors. Hmm.

They have already acknowledged that LA rams fans have a preferred color scheme, so my guess is the Rams will be royal blue and yellow again, or a darker blue and yellow. I highly doubt they keep the gold.

They know (royal) blue and yellow is what the LA fan base wants. But timing is everything. They also know they can get extra revenue off both 2016 navy and gold uniforms and 2016 "retro" blue and yellow uniforms. And as soon as the latter dries up, it's 2019 already and out comes the all-new brand identity. It's the smart thing to do, especially since retro is all the rage these days.

Archived