Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

50 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The Rams had an announced 62,888 against the Cowboys on Saturday.

In the Rams preseason debut in LA last season (also against the Cowboys), they set an NFL preseason record with 89,140.

Yeah after no football in LA in 22 years and no Rams in the Coliseum since the 1970s.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is probably a fever dream, but I'm still harboring a conspiracy theory that this Chargers move to StubHub Center is one in a series of intentional half-steps intended to get the team back to San Diego. First you threaten to move, then you reach a deal to move but give yourself a year to work out a stadium deal, then finally you ACTUALLY move but to an embarrassingly inadequate (by NFL standards) facility until someone else's stadium is built. 

Somewhere in some corner office in San Diego, Dean Spanos is saying to himself: "Now we've got 'em. They'll beg to get us back."

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I know this is probably a fever dream, but I'm still harboring a conspiracy theory that this Chargers move to StubHub Center is one in a series of intentional half-steps intended to get the team back to San Diego. First you threaten to move, then you reach a deal to move but give yourself a year to work out a stadium deal, then finally you ACTUALLY move but to an embarrassingly inadequate (by NFL standards) facility until someone else's stadium is built. 

Somewhere in some corner office in San Diego, Dean Spanos is saying to himself: "Now we've got 'em. They'll beg to get us back."

Sounds more like malaria.

Though I wonder what the Chargers position will be if they can't draw crowds in Inglewood.

3 hours ago, Daredevil said:

Yeah after no football in LA in 22 years and no Rams in the Coliseum since the 1970s.

And yet the Chargers moved there a year later anyway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

There were tarps covering up whole empty sections and the place still looked half-empty.

Ah, it smells like Greensboro in here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:58 PM, gosioux76 said:

While I'd like to think he's at least that scheming... reality is he actually thought this move to LA was a good idea. It's going to take the NFL to save Dean from himself.

Furthermore, if this was all to get a stadium built in San Diego, Deano made it nearly impossible for that to happen by pissing off the taxpayers, local government, and his fellow owners.

If the Spanos family were ever interested in building a stadium in San Diego, they'd have abandoned their downtown plans that nobody else wanted and agreed to build one in Mission Valley. Their refusal to compromise speaks volumes.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 8/15/2017 at 6:23 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

They only put 21,054 in it on Sunday.

The Galaxy drew 25,554 there on Saturday.

Assuming they sold out the preseason tickets, selling 27,000 preseason tickets and 21,000 showing up is pretty good.  that's 77%.   Most stadiums sell 60-70,000 (they are all sold with season tickets) but usually 50% or less show up.   So 21K out of 27K seats is pretty good.   Its not like 21,000 showed up from 70,000 seats.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Do we know that 21,000 is the number that showed up?  Or is that 21K the number of tickets they sold?

Chargers say that the 21,000 was the showed up number, not the tickets sold number.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

People making excuses for the Chargers being unable to sell out a 27,000 seat soccer stadium has to got be the most hilarious thing posted here.

The Galaxy, in the midst of their worst season in a decade, outdrew them.

The shots of the crowd showed a lot of empty seats and tarps galore.  

The game got a higher rating in San Diego than LA. 

Nothing about this looks good, and it's more and more apparent that this was a huge cluster :censored: .

On 8/15/2017 at 7:20 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

The Rams had an announced 62,888 against the Cowboys on Saturday.

In the Rams preseason debut in LA last season (also against the Cowboys), they set an NFL preseason record with 89,140.

In both instances, regardless of the different circumstances, don't forget the draw of the Cowboys, especially in an area without football for years.

Archived