Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, colortv said:

Crazy when you think how successful the Raiders would be in LA.

Truer words were never said.  A Raiders move back to LA would have been the most logical choice purely from the fans perspective.  

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

I dont think LA adopted the Chargers after the Rams and Raiders left. The chargers were kind of like the Texans in that 95% of their fans are from their home metroplex and their reach doesnt extend beyond that. The Chargers just gave their previous fanbase the middle-finger by moving out and LA suddenly has a 2nd team that no one in LA really asked for. The former Raiders fans arent going to switch to a intra-division rival as their team of choice. I can see the Chargers eventually working out in LA, but it will take years and winning for fans to grow attached to the team.

Exactly. If the Chargers will ever be relevant in LA, it'll be in a generation or more provided they win, which they currently seem unable to do, and will continue to be unable to do under their dysfunctional Spanos owners. Whether the NFL will let them languish that long as an irrelevant drain on the league is the big question. I can't see the NFL pulling an NBA and letting the Chargers be what they clearly are, a football version of the '80's-'90's Clippers.

And it's going to be even worse for the Chargers than it was for the Clippers, because the Clippers didn't have 2 NFL teams to compete with. As the Rams are not only there (and at least somewhat wanted) but the Raiders are clearly still very relevant in SoCal. Nevermind, USC and UCLA who are both still running good competitive programs and the locals 20 years to find other non-local teams while LA was team-less.

I think it was a good idea to not move the Raiders back to LA, because the Raiders will be successful anywhere and having them in Oakland/Las Vegas allows the Rams to build a strong fanbase in LA.

However, moving the Chargers to LA was just a bad idea. 

18 hours ago, colortv said:

Huh, if only there was a way the Raiders could have made themselves really accessible to people in California.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

33 minutes ago, colortv said:

Would the NFL tolerate the Chargers pulling in 40,000 fans in Inglewood?

Will the Chargers be able to pull in 40,000 fans in Inglewood? Particularly when not playing a team that brings in their own fans like the Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots, etc...

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Will the Chargers be able to pull in 40,000 fans in Inglewood? Particularly when not playing a team that brings in fans like the Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots, etc...

Between LA and San Diego they have 20 million people to draw from, including fans of opposing teams. They should be able to do at least 40....

Right?

7 minutes ago, colortv said:

Between LA and San Diego they have 20 million people to draw from, including fans of opposing teams. They should be able to do at least 40....

Right?

Well you can't count on them drawing but a few cling ons from San Diego. They're persona non grata for most in San Diego these days, other than to point and laugh but certainly not to spend any money on. And thus far they sure don't seem to have many fans in LA. Never mind that the people in LA have a bunch of other teams they're rooting for (Rams, Raiders, Cowboys, Patriots, USC, UCLA, etc...), which generally precludes people from rooting for another team like the Chargers or spending money on them.

So yeah... I'm legitimately questioning if the Chargers, who will not have a franchise QB in 3 years when they move into Inglewood and Rivers retires (and they have no Plan B as yet), who will likely be a sub-.500 team, and who currently have little fan base to speak of in Los Angeles or San Diego... will be able to even draw 40,000 to Inglewood for a mid/late season game against the Browns/Jags/Titans/etc...

5 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Well you can't count on them drawing but a few cling ons from San Diego. They're persona non grata for most in San Diego these days, other than to point and laugh but certainly not to spend any money on. And thus far they sure don't seem to have many fans in LA. Never mind that the people in LA have a bunch of other teams they're rooting for (Rams, Raiders, Cowboys, Patriots, USC, UCLA, etc...), which generally precludes people from rooting for another team like the Chargers or spending money on them.

So yeah... I'm legitimately questioning if the Chargers, who will not have a franchise QB in 3 years when Rivers retires (and they have no backup as yet), who will likely be .500 or below, and who currently have little fan base to speak of... will be able to even draw 40,000 to Inglewood for a mid/late season game against the Browns/Jags/Titans/etc...

I think they will have more support from San Diego than people anticipate. Just based on observations here and there of the fanbase. At the end of the day it's just a weekend excursion when you have tons of people commuting back and forth between the cities every weekend anyway.

As for other teams it's not about supporting the Chargers but purely a question of attendance, if say the Bills or Dolphins or any other team is coming to town I'm sure a decent chunk of their local fans will come out to see them.

3 hours ago, colortv said:

There's only two things that I can see saving the chargers from a clippers like status: 1. A dynastic team or  2. A complete rebrand

Clippers status would be an upgrade. The Chargers are Chivas USA status, even to the point of sharing the StubHub Center with the Galaxy.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 minutes ago, colortv said:

I think they will have more support from San Diego than people anticipate. Just based on observations here and there of the fanbase. At the end of the day it's just a weekend excursion when you have tons of people commuting back and forth between the cities every weekend anyway.

As for other teams it's not about supporting the Chargers but purely a question of attendance, if say the Bills or Dolphins or any other team is coming to town I'm sure a decent chunk of their local fans will come out to see them.

Living in SD, I'll have to disagree with your first sentiment. I've actually been shocked how little interest locals have in the Chargers. Few if any jerseys on Sundays so far, car stickers have largely been peeled off, local bars aren't showing their games so far (or if they are they're definitely not the prime game being shown), TV attendance is way down (though there are still many hate watching from what I gather). At the end of the day it's more than a weekend excursion, it's a full day commitment (minimum 5 hours drive time) to drive to an "enemy" city that just stole your team, to give money to a douchebag of an owner who has shown he had no respect for you or your city, to watch them play in what amounts to a glorified high school stadium in Carson.

As for your second point, that's the point I'm making. Some teams don't have any appreciable local fan base to come out in LA. And if the Chargers are going to be relying on opposing fans to fill their stadium, as appears to be the case, what happens when the opposing team has few local fans? Not everyone is the Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, Rams, or even Bills or Dolphins. The Browns, Jags, Titans, Panthers, etc... aren't going to be bringing a ton of fans with them.

13 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Living in SD, I'll have to disagree with your first sentiment. I've actually been shocked how little interest locals have in the Chargers. Few if any jerseys on Sundays so far, car stickers have largely been peeled off, local bars aren't showing their games so far (or if they are they're definitely not the prime game being shown), TV attendance is way down (though there are still many hate watching from what I gather). At the end of the day it's more than a weekend excursion, it's a full day commitment (minimum 5 hours drive time) to drive to an "enemy" city that just stole your team, to give money to a douchebag of an owner who has shown he had no respect for you or your city, to watch them play in what amounts to a glorified high school stadium in Carson.

As for your second point, that's the point I'm making. Some teams don't have any appreciable local fan base to come out in LA. And if the Chargers are going to be relying on opposing fans to fill their stadium, as appears to be the case, what happens when the opposing team has few local fans? Not everyone is the Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, Rams, or even Bills or Dolphins. The Browns, Jags, Titans, Panthers, etc... aren't going to be bringing a ton of fans with them.

In an area of 20 million people there are going to be a decent amount of fans of almost every team. Certainly enough I think to help fill in a stadium once a year.

34 minutes ago, colortv said:

In an area of 20 million people there are going to be a decent amount of fans of almost every team. Certainly enough I think to help fill in a stadium once a year.

Greater LA is 18 million... not 20 mil. And time will tell. You'd think they wouldn't have trouble, but then LA has always had trouble filling football stadiums. And that was for teams they actually liked and wanted in town. The Chargers are neither.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

Right?

Well they couldn't even do 25,000....

Just imagine 21,000 fans once they're playing in Kroenke's football palace. It'll be the Arizona Coyotes of the NFL.

14 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Greater LA is 18 million... not 20 mil. And time will tell. You'd think they wouldn't have trouble, but then LA has always had trouble filling football stadiums. And that was for teams they actually liked and wanted in town. The Chargers are neither.

They will draw opposing team fans from as far as south as San Diego and as far north as Bakersfield. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well they couldn't even do 25,000....

Just imagine 21,000 fans once they're playing in Kroenke's football palace. It'll be the Arizona Coyotes of the NFL.

We I'm going to wait until the real season to judge the attendance.

Archived