Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I don't think the issue is that the Spanoses "hate" powder blue so much as they see it as not their color. 

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

Alex Spanos bought the Chargers in 1984.  The following season, the Chargers dropped royal blue for navy and they've worn it ever since.

The Spanos family doesn't have a whole lot to show for its ownership.  One Super Bowl appearance (which they lost) and two Hall of Famers.  Aside from that, a whole lotta mediocrity at best, coupled with their messy exit from San Diego and embarrassing entry into Los Angeles.   Navy is one of the few things they can point to as their impact on the franchise.

16 hours ago, colortv said:

Nike...just do it.

LosAngelesRams.png

That looks good, but I have to wonder how legible the numbers would be on a bright sunny day.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

11 minutes ago, Mitch B said:

That looks good, but I have to wonder how legible the numbers would be on a bright sunny day.

They'd certainly be at least as legible as the numbers on the Lions' new uniforms, and probably significantly more so than the Browns', Bears' throwbacks or 49ers' alternates.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:19 PM, colortv said:

Chargers just need to make the switch NOW instead of waiting for Inglewood, just wearing these would build-up goodwill:

8891406-philip-rivers-melvin-gordon-nfl-

9658977-nfl-tennessee-titans-at-san-dieg

philip-rivers-nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-san

sdut-chargers-powder-blue-uniforms-black

101514powder660.jpg?itok=eLDmN239&timest

Maybe on this board. Only thing that will garner then any goodwill in LA will be winning a Super Bowl... maybe.

16 hours ago, colortv said:

Never say never. The NFL makes the rules, and can undo it just as easily as they did it is the reality of the situation. And they will do so if it is in the league's best interest. Just as they've let the Rams back to LA, they let the Raiders go back to Oakland, they recreated the Browns, etc...

The Chargers have invested millions into their move to Los Angeles, including construction of their temporary practice facility in Costa Mesa.

Nothing more disqualifying than those temporary practice facilities.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

The Niners' previous uniforms came close to doing just that. That set originally had white pants. I forget which year they introduced these.

sf-96-98-allwhite-iconsmi-620x415.jpg

95 I think. Year after they won it with the shadow throwbacks.  I miss these.  Not for the 49ers, but these were fantastic jerseys. 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Never say never. The NFL makes the rules, and can undo it just as easily as they did it is the reality of the situation. And they will do so if it is in the league's best interest. Just as they've let the Rams back to LA, they let the Raiders go back to Oakland, they recreated the Browns, etc...

Yeah, even setting aside that they couldn't stop the Raiders from moving and tried to stall the Rams, those aren't even remotely the same thing.

They would have to force out the Spanos family, which is much easier said than done.  Even if they wanted to, which will be tough with all the friends they have among the owners.  The NFL would also need Kroenke to re-negotiate every Inglewood sponsor deal he's signed since January, as those were predicated on the presence of two teams in residence. 

I want the Chargers back in San Diego.   But let's not pretend that the league could easily wave its collective hand and make it happen.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, even setting aside that they couldn't stop the Raiders from moving and tried to stall the Rams, those aren't even remotely the same thing.

They would have to force out the Spanos family, which is much easier said than done.  Even if they wanted to, which will be tough with all the friends they have among the owners.  The NFL would also need Kroenke to re-negotiate every Inglewood sponsor deal he's signed since January, as those were predicated on the presence of two teams in residence. 

I want the Chargers back in San Diego.   But let's not pretend that the league could easily wave its collective hand and make it happen.

Not saying it wouldn't take a bit of work. Just as the move up required work (that the Spanii clearly weren't willing to put in based on the piss poor results). But it could be done. The NFL has more than enough money to throw at Kroneke to offset any losses. Because the perception of two teams failing in the second largest market in the US is an even worse loss long term. Though much of that damage can't be undone, particularly now that LA has been shown to have been an empty threat all these years.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:20 PM, colortv said:

You know the fact that 90% of Chargers fans prefer to rock the powder blue yet the Chargers have still insisted on wearing the navy duds as the primaries leads me to only two conclusions:

1. Ownership/Management is even worse than suspected

and/or

2. They've been waiting all these years just in case they did make an LA move to make the powders the primaries to help with the "splash".

I guess I'm in the minority of Chargers fans, then. I prefer the darker blue to the light blue throwbacks. Maybe it's because it's what I grew up with and am used to, but I like the dark color, especially from the Fouts era. Having said that, though, I don't hate the powder blues, they're a nice one-time jersey every year, I just like the dark jerseys better. The one hanging in my closet is dark blue (royal, navy, not sure, just know it's dark)...

48 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Not saying it wouldn't take a bit of work. Just as the move up required work (that the Spanii clearly weren't willing to put in based on the piss poor results). But it could be done. The NFL has more than enough money to throw at Kroneke to offset any losses. Because the perception of two teams failing in the second largest market in the US is an even worse loss long term. Though much of that damage can't be undone, particularly now that LA has been show to have been an empty threat all these years.

Well, I don't really think that's the point. We all know the NFL can do whatever it wants. They could have easily kept all 3 teams from moving in the first place with even the slightest bit of motivation. I think the point now has to do with a combination of factors concerning logistics and practicality:

1. SD won't support a team owned by Spanos, and the league/owners won't force him to sell.

2. Nothing has changed between now and a year ago, where SD doesn't have a viable stadium nor the public will to help finance one which Spanos would need.

3. The combination of business machinations already underway as mentioned above involving both the league and Kroenke and the Chargers own team locally in LA. Those things would be a bit of a hassle to undo. Not to mention the time and money Spanos has already invested in this whole thing, which for him being one of the poorer owners in the NFL is not insignificant.

4.  Maybe not as important but worth mentioning nonetheless, is that the league seems determined to make the NFL work in LA, and having both an NFC and AFC team to service such a giant market makes more sense than one team.

2 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I guess I'm in the minority of Chargers fans, then. I prefer the darker blue to the light blue throwbacks. Maybe it's because it's what I grew up with and am used to, but I like the dark color, especially from the Fouts era. Having said that, though, I don't hate the powder blues, they're a nice one-time jersey every year, I just like the dark jerseys better. The one hanging in my closet is dark blue (royal, navy, not sure, just know it's dark)...

Eh...besides the navy ones just generally being bland and somewhat minor league looking, especially the seau era unis(all just my opinion) I think if you're going to have a team in Southern California named the Chargers with a bolt as the logo it makes more sense for brighter, flashier colors.

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Not a whole of lightning with clear blue skies though.

Feel free to point out the real life purple ravens, green eagles, blue/yellow rams, turquoise dolphins, blue lions and buffaloes etc.

Chargers can just as easily be interpreted with the "electric, charge up" etc. vibe.

Archived