Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, colortv said:

Well, I don't really think that's the point. We all know the NFL can do whatever it wants. They could have easily kept all 3 teams from moving in the first place with even the slightest bit of motivation. I think the point now has to do with a combination of factors concerning logistics and practicality:

1. SD won't support a team owned by Spanos, and the league/owners won't force him to sell.

2. Nothing has changed between now and a year ago, where SD doesn't have a viable stadium nor the public will to help finance one which Spanos would need.

3. The combination of business machinations already underway as mentioned above involving both the league and Kroenke and the Chargers own team locally in LA. Those things would be a bit of a hassle to undo. Not to mention the time and money Spanos has already invested in this whole thing, which for him being one of the poorer owners in the NFL is not insignificant.

4.  Maybe not as important but worth mentioning nonetheless, is that the league seems determined to make the NFL work in LA, and having both an NFC and AFC team to service such a giant market makes more sense than one team.

I don't think the NFL is all that interested in balancing out both conferences in LA.  Remember, they tried to keep all three teams in their original cities.  

Kroenke is determined to make the NFL work in LA.  Not the league. Spanos was the millstone the league hung around his neck.  He dragged them all kicking and screaming, and I think it's a mistake to ascribe any grand planning to their actions.  

It's an extremely unlikely scenario, mostly because the business matters in LA are getting entwined.  And it's really early days; two games could be little more than a minor bump in the road.  But if the Chargers continue to struggle for years, don't be surprised if the league finally steps in and takes action. 

10 hours ago, colortv said:

Feel free to point out the real life purple ravens, green eagles, blue/yellow rams, turquoise dolphins, blue lions and buffaloes etc.

Chargers can just as easily be interpreted with the "electric, charge up" etc. vibe.

Not arguing your point, but real ravens actually have a purple sheen in the right light.

07da596f1ea089d5ba5dd72b958604b5.jpgraven__the_watcher_by_jestephotography-d

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think the NFL is all that interested in balancing out both conferences in LA.  Remember, they tried to keep all three teams in their original cities.  

Kroenke is determined to make the NFL work in LA.  Not the league. Spanos was the millstone the league hung around his neck.  He dragged them all kicking and screaming, and I think it's a mistake to ascribe any grand planning to their actions.  

It's an extremely unlikely scenario, mostly because the business matters in LA are getting entwined.  And it's really early days; two games could be little more than a minor bump in the road.  But if the Chargers continue to struggle for years, don't be surprised if the league finally steps in and takes action. 

Agreed. It's not going to happen overnight, unless this season gets really bad. But Spanos ownership will likely preclude it even if the league wants it to happen. Since any owner in San Diego would have to foot the whole or vast majority of the bill for a new NFL stadium. San Diego has moved on without the NFL and is focused on MLS and/or SDSU now. The political will to screw around with the NFL is nil right now.

Perhaps a replacement NFL expansion team in a few years ala Cleveland. San Diego Bolts has a nice ring to it (since I don't expect the Spanii would ever give up the Chargers name). Particularly if the NFL completely loses the 8th largest city in the US, which is apparently happening based on how far the ratings for their product have fallen in San Diego (not just the LAC mind).

Remember when the Jaguars' entire home schedule was blacked out and we thought they would be the ones who would move to Los Angeles? I think that would have worked out worse than the Rams, but better than the Rams and Chargers together. Now they're stuck in the NFL's other dumb scheme with London instead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Nah the home crowd would NEVER allow that jersey to be worn away from The Coliseum.

I wasn't aware that the home crowd could choose uniforms. If that's the case, where should I submit my recommendations to the Bucs?

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Yea, but at that time, I would be considered a home uniform, so it wouldn’t be a big deal. The issue now is that it would burn one of their 2 Alternate game jersey options on a road game. They would rather wear the Royal/gold at home in front of their own crowd than on the road in front of another crowd

2 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

Yea, but at that time, I would be considered a home uniform, so it wouldn’t be a big deal. The issue now is that it would burn one of their 2 Alternate game jersey options on a road game. They would rather wear the Royal/gold at home in front of their own crowd than on the road in front of another crowd

THIS is how I should’ve stated it

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

they shouldve just stuck with the bad old set they had, and then made a full switch when it is allowed. This half white half gold is simply hideous. Go back to either all white and blue, or throwbacks when they switch. my vote is for greatest show on turf unis.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived