Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Haha. I had to visit this board as soon as I saw this uniform set. I can't believe they honestly wore all of that mess. As a whole I understand the NFL's purpose to the 5 year rule and I support it. Sports in general are destroying their brands and over saturating the market with their 5 million different looks. At least keep an identity around for a little while. However, this should have never been allowed. A waiver should have been given for the relocation but the rule as a whole should allow teams to change uniforms every time they switch stadiums. That'd cover new stadiums and temporary venues like this. I can't believe a multi-billion dollar operation would steep this low.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across two 1950s Rams jerseys on old MEARS auctions, an early 1950s gold and late 1950s blue.  

ramsgold.thumb.jpg.a1366ffb8d590696bdd92298be6d3762.jpg59440a_lg.thumb.jpeg.683e23970d1876f4d6cbe07fcfa92575.jpeg 

I'm afraid that they'd have to do something with those sleeve stripes, but I love the color scheme.  I don't think either jersey benefits from the addition of white, which only muddied up the numbers when used.

Make gold the home, blue the alt, and they're good to go.  With the helmets being as distinctive as they are, probably the best in the entire league, the Rams don't need elaborate jerseys to steal focus.

Here's the thing ... it's not like the NFL or the Rams can work around this issue. After the Rams changed in 2000 they went to these uniforms ... 

33970775E.jpg

After one year they switched to the uniform we know now ... different number font basically ...

b59a1e9b6ef0e47bbe9eb7151e6620b6--marsha

That's a pretty dramatic change. Probably on par with the Rams eliminating gold from the jersey on their current set, especially the white version.

Sure policy could have changed in the past 15+ years since then -- but, give me a break, it's not a full design change.

Hopefully the NFL will allow the change until 2020 brings a rebrand. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, kimball said:

Here's the thing ... it's not like the NFL or the Rams can work around this issue. After the Rams changed in 2000 they went to these uniforms ... 

33970775E.jpg

After one year they switched to the uniform we know now ... different number font basically ...

b59a1e9b6ef0e47bbe9eb7151e6620b6--marsha

That's a pretty dramatic change. Probably on par with the Rams eliminating gold from the jersey on their current set, especially the white version.

Sure policy could have changed in the past 15+ years since then -- but, give me a break, it's not a full design change.

Hopefully the NFL will allow the change until 2020 brings a rebrand. 

They also eliminated the gold side panel in 2002 (Year 3 of that set).  That is also probably on par with removing the gold trim from the current version.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

27 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

They also eliminated the gold side panel in 2002 (Year 3 of that set).  That is also probably on par with removing the gold trim from the current version.

Exactly!

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

15 hours ago, colortv said:

Everyone who said the Chargers shouldn't rebrand...here you go.

Do you really think the name is the problem here?  Or the uniforms?

The Chargers could become the Southern California Condors tomorrow, and they'd still have the exact same problem in LA; they're an unwanted franchise in a crowded marketplace run by clueless, scummy owners.  A rebrand wouldn't change any of those.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Do you really think the name is the problem here?  Or the uniforms?

The Chargers could become the Southern California Condors tomorrow, and they'd still have the exact same problem in LA; they're an unwanted franchise in a crowded marketplace run by clueless, scummy owners.  A rebrand wouldn't change any of those.

Absolutely it is "A" big part of the problem.

Of course putting a winning team on the field matters too.

At the end of the day the branding is pretty much the only tangible difference between pro sports franchises, they aren't civic institutions like they try to portray themselves as.

That's just evidenced by how much support the Raiders get in Southern California, and indeed nationally.

I suppose history matters, but the Chargers don't have history that is going to make anybody do anything.

Most potential casual fans in LA don't care about the hows and whys as to the Chargers not getting a stadium in SD, especially since there wasn't anything extraordinary about the situation so I don't think ownership being "scummy" has much to do with it.

What there is, is this feeling that they are San Diego's team who doesn't win and the brand isn't strong enough to overcome that.

id consider a number font change to be a much smaller change than eliminating the secondary color entirely..

gold oulines on the horns, navy masks, gold outlines on the pants stripes, and you get a different "feel" than the St. Louis set by effectively becoming a blue/white team w/ gold trim instead of a blue/gold team w/ white trim.. its not ideal, but making this set decent and at least COHESIVE isn't rocket surgery.. they're trying so hard to not look like the St. Louis Rams that they don't look like any professional team of any sport should ever look.. that's why i'm convinced they're just trolling Goodell and the NFL, because nobody can WANT to look that bad..

LOOK: Twitter can't stop making fun of the Rams' hideous mismatched uniform

That is not a typo: the Rams purposely wore helmets and jerseys that were different colors. They did this on purpose, knowing that they would be wearing them in front of thousands of people and featured on television against one of the most popular teams in football. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-twitter-cant-stop-making-fun-of-the-rams-hideous-mismatched-uniforms/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/los-angeles-rams-uniforms-jerseys-helmets-white-gold-blue/1tkjyczd4htcf14a1vta4hbhl0

23 hours ago, Lights Out said:

"Bolts" would be redundant with the Chargers still in the league, unfortunately. I'd suggest bringing back the San Diego Conquistadors name (Q's for short, of course). They can put the team in the NFC West where there'd be a natural geographic rivalry with the Cardinals, since it's not like the new team would have any of the old AFL-era history. I'd root for them.

"Conquistadors" is not going to fly in the 21st century. 

This probably won't happen, but the Chargers in powder blue and gold would look good while separating themselves from the Rams' royal blue and yellow:

I feel like the Rams would eventually just revert back to the royal blue, even if they try to go with a yellow dominant look. Too much tradition in these:

01-13-2016-rams-fan-3.jpg

There's no Chargers fans in L.A. anyway, so they may as well mix it up a bit. The Rams did the same when the moved to St Louis.

Archived