Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, LakeShow24 said:

br7kywdqr2qz.jpg

Sunday's game. Ohhhhhhhhhh Yeaaaaaaaaaah.

Everyone that absolutely hates the mismatched unis (including non-Rams fans) should team up and make a Gofundme to pay for the fines the Rams receive for wearing these unis every game. lol

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I’m with Gothamite here. 

Dress this team up with any name you want. LA wouldn’t want it regardless. The “Chargers” branding isn’t the problem.

Hell, I’d say the losing isn’t even the problem. Plenty of teams suck but are met with casual indifference at worst in their home market.

The problem is that LA specifically didn’t want *this* team. When the LA talk was picking up? Polls consistently showed that LA fans wanted the Rams above all else. Raiders were a respectable #2, and the Chargers were a distant #3.

That’s the problem. The Chargers moved to LA against the expressed interests of the city’s fans (and the League, as it turned out). Dressing them up as the LA Aztecs or whatever wouldn’t change how the city feels about this team and how they moved. 

I would have thought the Raiders would win any poll of most wanted teams in L.A. Anyway, of course the Raiders and Rams would lead in those polls ahead of any other team. Ask football fans in Baltimore back in the 90's if they would prefer the Browns, or their Colts back. They're pretty happy with their Ravens today though. It's a lot more successful than Baltimore Browns would have been. 

34 minutes ago, daveindc said:

It's a lot more successful than Baltimore Browns would have been. 

I’m not sure you can say that. Baltimore Browns, two time Super Bowl Champions, would have done just fine for themselves. 

Also Baltimore didn’t have a choice. It wasn’t a case of “the Colts may come back or the Browns may move here.” The Colts returning was never an option. 

Which stands in stark contrast to the LA situation. Where the Raiders, Chargers, and Rams all seemed like they could reasonably end up there. And LA fans seemed pretty secure in wanting their teams back, and not giving a :censored: about the Chargers. 

A name change wasn’t going to change that. The LA Condors are still failing to sell out the StubHub Centre and are still being heckled by a crowd of Eagles fans at a home game. 

Can someone photoshop a royal blue helmet to see how it would look with the rest of the uniform? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 10/2/2017 at 10:10 AM, Gothamite said:

Came across two 1950s Rams jerseys on old MEARS auctions, an early 1950s gold and late 1950s blue.  

ramsgold.thumb.jpg.a1366ffb8d590696bdd92298be6d3762.jpg59440a_lg.thumb.jpeg.683e23970d1876f4d6cbe07fcfa92575.jpeg 

I'm afraid that they'd have to do something with those sleeve stripes, but I love the color scheme.  I don't think either jersey benefits from the addition of white, which only muddied up the numbers when used.

Make gold the home, blue the alt, and they're good to go.  With the helmets being as distinctive as they are, probably the best in the entire league, the Rams don't need elaborate jerseys to steal focus.

I'd like to see them go this route as well using a dark royal blue (or a light navy) ... maybe add a pair of gold pants for a few games.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

After seeing what a royal helmet looks like, I can see maybe why the Rams stuck with a darker blue. It just looks better on a helmet. The royal looks terrible. Maybe the best solution is to find a blue that meets both shades somewhere in the middle. 

On 10/2/2017 at 9:39 AM, kimball said:

Here's the thing ... it's not like the NFL or the Rams can work around this issue. After the Rams changed in 2000 they went to these uniforms ... 

33970775E.jpg

After one year they switched to the uniform we know now ... different number font basically ...

b59a1e9b6ef0e47bbe9eb7151e6620b6--marsha

That's a pretty dramatic change. Probably on par with the Rams eliminating gold from the jersey on their current set, especially the white version.

Sure policy could have changed in the past 15+ years since then -- but, give me a break, it's not a full design change.

Hopefully the NFL will allow the change until 2020 brings a rebrand. 

So, just a side note about the block font on those 2000 Rams...  The replica jerseys made in 2000 already had the 2001 - current number font, so I would assume that was always the Rams plan, and that for some logistical reason they had to use a different font on the gamers in 2000. Even more, those early Rams replicas featured a different nameplate font that never appeared on gamers.

Screenshot_20171007-104537.png

2 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Regardless of the shade of blue, the helmet and the jersey need to match.  The mismatching is a relic of the past, but not a charming one, just as there's nothing charming or attractive about what the Cowboys do.

Agreed, the Rams just need to look at the Giants change from 1999. Same problem, helmet darker than jersey, solved. 

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

After seeing what a royal helmet looks like, I can see maybe why the Rams stuck with a darker blue. It just looks better on a helmet. The royal looks terrible. Maybe the best solution is to find a blue that meets both shades somewhere in the middle. 

The Cowboys' old dark royal would be a good place to start.

CmjEssRWAAAWYS3.jpg 1971_Dallas.png?6181

8 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Angelo State has worn royal blue helmets that perfectly match their uniforms for a while now, so there's no excuse for the Rams not to be able to do the same.

9WprYhn.jpg

T6QAYWw.png

Those helmets look great in the sun.

Though if they decide to go with a yellow dominant look they might want to go with a slightly darker blue all-around to make the yellow pop more.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

asufootball03_24597528_ver1.0_640_480.jp

I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to this when the Rams rebrand. At the very least I'd like to see yellow jerseys over blue pants be an alternate option. Even with yellow socks lol :P

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I just fear the Rams will go with navy, limit the use of yellow and not have a yellow alternate. It's the classic bland sports take that has been sweeping the world in the last several years. You have these great colors and you don't utilize them properly. This is what the outcome will be.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived