Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Rams asked for a waiver... what would the reason to grant a waiver be? They didn't realize how ugly their uniforms would be? Like @Gobbi said above, they would have been fine if they did nothing; they decided to switch to these horrible uniforms just this year. The Rams have consistently underestimated the importance of their uniforms since they've been back in LA. First, it was, "Well, the fans won't mind waiting three years for new uniforms." Now, it's "Well, we'll only have to wear that combo if the home team wears white. NBD, right?" Also, this half-assed unrebrand was an attempt to skirt the rules in the first place; now it looks bad (like anyone looking at it knew it would). They should suffer the consequences of their decisions. I feel bad for their fans and our eyes, but not the Rams.

Is there a limit on the number of pants a team can have? Could they have kept a pair of matching pants to go with the blue jerseys? The helmet would have still stuck out, but it would have been a little better.

It's pretty funny when you look at how poorly run the Rams and Chargers have been for the last 10 odd years and how poorly both have handled the LA move.

Same dogs, different day.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rams uniform changes are coming – but not before 2019

That hasn’t stopped them from petitioning the league for flexibility to allow them to wear their throwback or color rush uniforms above and beyond the times NFL teams are permitted. At least for games in which they have to wear their blue jerseys.

They also requested permission to wear their throwback uniforms full time, provided they could still change to their new uniforms in 2019 or 2020.

But the league refused.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/18/rams-uniform-changes-are-coming-but-not-before-2019/

On 10/16/2017 at 9:03 PM, Gothamite said:

Yep, those are sweet.  

The Rams have a long tradition of strong graphics.  These 1961 game programs have some of the best design the sport has ever seen. 

6CC4AC8B-C279-48B1-B31A-DB61A31CA85B.thumb.jpeg.729d5075cd9b71742adc52b1216961e5.jpeg94F35EEF-357B-4859-AA20-5948EBE772AF.thumb.jpeg.dd029280a1c43bee498782b6d7f23abb.jpegE87A2678-57EA-4FCC-88D1-355775158363.thumb.jpeg.1e75401d6954f3ca1f3d37372bb23bd1.jpeg016D2310-0B53-4117-A118-9AB119DC6DE1.thumb.jpeg.acea729c69628877ac5a6d2f56a09540.jpegEE382146-D2DE-4BC1-A3AD-71A3EC78AF6B.thumb.jpeg.d21a4d4670d010dbc3ccf4b19c5effd9.jpegA200B3FA-F3CA-473D-88D5-CB629BE81DF7.thumb.jpeg.b12558810bc4304c72171b76522c4c77.jpeg

And, of course, my personal favorite:  

CE8E7F07-F260-4D8F-9C30-606A698BE35C.thumb.jpeg.cdcf1d2dd5c522854b27ff4d955f74b1.jpeg

Good to see the Rams are reclaiming their tradition of strong graphics game. 

I was getting a strong Disney vibe from these things...

Sure enough artist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Hubenthal attended the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chouinard_Art_Institute which Disney had strong ties.

Interesting fact.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, hugevolsfan said:

I heard on a radio station today that they are going to get some changes next year now. I am in TN so take that for what it is worth...

Can you elaborate on this? I'm stoked if this is actually happening.

On October 20, 2017 at 4:50 PM, colortv said:

They also requested permission to wear their throwback uniforms full time, provided they could still change to their new uniforms in 2019 or 2020.

But the league refused.

This should put to rest any remaining doubt about what colors they'll be wearing come 2020. Royal and yellow is what they really want to be wearing, but they're settling for anything that is more LA than STL in the meantime.

43 minutes ago, Gupti said:

This should put to rest any remaining doubt about what colors they'll be wearing come 2020. Royal and yellow is what they really want to be wearing, but they're settling for anything that is more LA than STL in the meantime.

It doesn't put anything to rest.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It doesn't put anything to rest.

Then perhaps I should elaborate on my reasoning. From what we've heard in news releases, this is what is understood to be the Rams' priorities as they complete their relocation:

1. Unveil new LA uniforms alongside of a new stadium to "reopen" the franchise in 2020. (prev. 2019)

2. Distance themselves from their St. Louis years, with the worst culprit being the Vegas gold that they've used since 2000 (never in Los Angeles)

In order to accomplish priority #2 while preserving priority #1, the team decided that they ought to find a way to bridge the gap. According to the article, the Rams requested to make their LA throwbacks the regular uniform during that time, but the league refused. My guess would be that this would not only constitute a big enough change to reset the 5-year rule, but also would involve violating the rule for having only one helmet design for uniforms that are not considered throwback or color rush.

That is why they've subsequently gone so hard into this blue and white thing. They have identified that these are not only colors that were at point considered the colors of the Los Angeles Rams, but also are colors that are currently in their St. Louis-born scheme. So they figure that they can get away with being stuck in their St. Louis getups in the meantime by pushing the heck out of colors that they can still technically call "LA colors" until they can officially change, I believe, to the "real" LA colors, royal and yellow. It's what the LA fans want. It's what everyone wants. It doesn't make sense to me that they would try to tease the blue/yellow throwbacks so much only to stick with navy and white.

FWIW, I don't actually agree with what they're doing even if I can see their reasoning. The result is pretty ugly at times, and they know it. You have to think that it's bad for the league's brand to have a team marching out in such a mismatched mess all because of the league's uniform rules. Part of me wants to think that the Rams want to use these ugly, loophole-laden uniforms as leverage against the league to relax their rules for them, testing the league's resolve in allowing 1/32 of it's teams to walk out the tunnel looking like they dressed themselves with the lights out. Perhaps my tin foil hat is on a bit crooked, but it is interesting to think about since all that they're wearing now is a uniform made entirely of loopholes.

18 hours ago, TJSC said:

Would this make the uni more coherent?

Definitely. I would say if they went with those pants and kept the St. Louis gold horns and navy face mask, it would be a very strong look and a perfect transition from one uniform set to the next. Even when they'd have to wear navy jerseys it would look like a real uniform set.

Also I like your treatment of the helmet with the gold face mask much more than what they're actually doing with the white mask. The horns get completely lost, at least with the gold it ties to the rest of the uniform and still lets the white horns stand out.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

That largely defeats the idea of eliminating as much of the St. Louis look as they can.  The Vegas gold is still on every part of the uniform, just in a different layout.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

We knew the team was bound for Los Angeles since December 2014. They should have been ready to roll out new-old uniforms. I thought that was the whole point of the throwbacks all along!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 hours ago, TJSC said:

Would this make the uni more coherent?

IMG_7090.JPG

IMG_7091.JPG

I think going more halfway like this would have been smarter to do, because they knew they couldn't pull away from the gold completely. Might as well create something that makes sense, while still incorporating the old-school L.A. Rams navy and white look.

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

That largely defeats the idea of eliminating as much of the St. Louis look as they can.  The Vegas gold is still on every part of the uniform, just in a different layout.

It minimizes it better than the St. Louis uniforms, while also making it look "uniform" like a uniform should. I think that's much better than eliminating it from every element but the jersey, thus creating a horrible look that isn't "uniform". 

Two new classic Rams jerseys are up for auction over at Heritage.  Maybe we can look at them to see where the Rams could mine some history for their next look.

First, we have a 1950-52 gold jersey:

1950-52_rams.thumb.jpg.38e8e496e2975f0c7b96c98ade166133.jpg

The number is not original, having been added in the 1980s, which might account for what appears to be a lighter color.  It's still beautiful - this design really doesn't need any white at all. 

The second is a blue and white 1960's Ed Meador gamer:

1960s_rams.thumb.jpg.f93782f703e0de79414740e846c8030d.jpg

They are both good color schemes, and each would serve the Rams well, but I think one is clearly superior.  The gold is instantly distinctive.  If the Rams were to adopt a gold jersey with blue numbers, they would immediately set themselves apart from every other team.  They could own a sunny, unique color scheme that is not only iconic but identifiable with Los Angeles.

Just bring back the STL helmets and gold pants and they're good until the redesign.  They hadn't worn the gold pants in STL for a super long time now, so it's hardly reminiscent of their recent time there.  They're bright (just be shiny and not khaki) and look great.

I remember thinking they had the best uniforms in football after their redisign (when they updated the numbers in year 2) even with the side panels.  There's no reason not to wear that set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived