Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Nothing has been confirmed except that they will have new uniforms for the new stadium. Everything else is speculation. 

So if the team name remains LA rams, they keep the traditional horned helmet, and use some combination of their historical blue/gold/white palette what other wholesale changes could possibly be made to justifiably say that the franchise has been rebranded?

53 minutes ago, guest23 said:

So if the team name remains LA rams, they keep the traditional horned helmet, and use some combination of their historical blue/gold/white palette what other wholesale changes could possibly be made to justifiably say that the franchise has been rebranded?

There are some who think a uniform change does not count as “rebranding”, that only a Devil Rays/Rays or Washington Bullets/Wizards overhaul counts.  I am not among them. 

The Rams have announced they will have new uniforms for their new stadium.  That will likely involve a new color scheme, possibly one from their past.  It might even involve a new logo. Any of which is enough for me to use the term “rebranding” even if they don’t change their name.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

There are some who think a uniform change does not count as “rebranding”, that only a Devil Rays/Rays or Washington Bullets/Wizards overhaul counts.  I am not among them. 

The Rams have announced they will have new uniforms for their new stadium.  That will likely involve a new color scheme, possibly one from their past.  It might even involve a new logo. Any of which is enough for me to use the term “rebranding” even if they don’t change their name.  

I'm in the same camp.. If you alter your brand significantly, especially with the sole purpose of instilling or evoking a different "vibe" or "feel" from any association with the franchise.. I would especially consider changing with the motive of separating  from the st Louis era worthy of "rebrand" status, even if it's not a full overhaul (which it shouldn't be)

8 hours ago, TJSC said:

If the Rams had their current unis in royal blue and gold it would be a perfectly fine update...

Absolutely.  This is a perfect football uniform.  Even the side panel worked because there was no pants stripe to line up.  Royal and yellow would look great, but IMO royal and this vegas gold would also work well.  If they must make a change just because, then put a while outline on the top of each helmet horn, just to tie it in to the jersey stripes.

2001-0724-Marshall-Faulk-001236625.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Absolutely.  This is a perfect football uniform.  Even the side panel worked because there was no pants stripe to line up.  Royal and yellow would look great, but IMO royal and this vegas gold would also work well.  If they must make a change just because, then put a while outline on the top of each helmet horn, just to tie it in to the jersey stripes.

OH GOD NO! this is and was horrible. Vegas Gold needs to be gone never to be seen again on a Rams uniform. Athletic Gold, or White... and just wow... No! 

16 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure how many times this needs to be posted until everyone sees the light...

2015-12-22_23-47-44.jpg

I've seen the light. A good idea for a Madden mockup. CR / CR / Current white pants / current socks. 

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Holy crap... looks like his name "Faulk" is on the shoes in Comic Sans!

14 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I'm in the same camp.. If you alter your brand significantly, especially with the sole purpose of instilling or evoking a different "vibe" or "feel" from any association with the franchise.. I would especially consider changing with the motive of separating  from the st Louis era worthy of "rebrand" status, even if it's not a full overhaul (which it shouldn't be)

The biggest separation from stl is the physical relocation of the team to Los Angeles. I don't think there's much confusion after playing a year in the #2 media market.

So using this logic, let's say that my local target moves a couple miles down the road into a shiny new shopping center, slightly tweaks the "Target" wordmark for the new signage on the facade but keeps the bullseye, updates the employee uniforms but they still wear red tops, completely reworks the in-store signage and graphics, and moves the toilet paper from the southeast to the northwest corner of the store, would you say that Target has rebranded?

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  If they change the logo.  Even more so if they change the color scheme. 

It would appear you do not agree.  And that’s cool; I wouldn’t tell you that your opinion is wrong, only that it’s not universally shared. 

He did specify in his theory that the bullseye and red would remain, though, so there's not really an "if" on changing the logo or color scheme.

To play devil's advocate, it's pretty well established these days that a "brand" is not only a logo and color scheme, but also values, consumer perception, target market, presentation, etc. So, how does changing just the logo and color scheme qualify as "rebranding" if the brand itself consists of much more than the logo and color scheme (assuming, of course, that the other parts of the brand do not change)?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You know there had to be some loyal LA fan(s) that lost their sh** over the St. Louis Rams adopting metallic gold back in 2000. If seeing their favorite team relocate wasn't bad enough, seeing them wear one of the 49ers colors had to be a slap in the face.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Branding/re-branding originated in the advertising and marketing trade and made its way into the popular lexicon by popular journalism and has been absolutely misunderstood and butchered by folks on this board to no end. To andrewharrington's insightful point, branding goes well beyond uniforms and logos and has exponentially more to do with targeted consumer base and the public perception of value, prestige, quality etc.

New uniforms and a logo package are simply that. If anyone wants to use industry jargon, I suppose "updated visual identity package" fits the bill perfectly.

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

To play devil's advocate, it's pretty well established these days that a "brand" is not only a logo and color scheme, but also values, consumer perception, target market, presentation, etc. So, how does changing just the logo and color scheme qualify as "rebranding" if the brand itself consists of much more than the logo and color scheme (assuming, of course, that the other parts of the brand do not change)?

But the situation up for discussion involves precisely such a change of values and market perception, as the Rams look to re-establish themselves as a Los Angeles club, shedding the final vestiges of their St. Louis identity.  So a color change and/or logo tweak very much signify a “rebranding”. 

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

You know there had to be some loyal LA fan(s) that lost their sh** over the St. Louis Rams adopting metallic gold back in 2000. If seeing their favorite team relocate wasn't bad enough, seeing them wear one of the 49ers colors had to be a slap in the face.

Yeah... THIS! 

Archived