Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Historical note: the first team to use home and road helmets was the 1997 New York CityHawks of the Arena league.  They used gold at home and black on the road for their two seasons of existence.

Image result for 1997 new york cityhawks helmet  Image result for 1997 new york cityhawks helmet

Incorrect. The 1969 Philadelphia Eagles wore white at home and green on the road.

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You got that right.

Image result for arizona rattlers helmet afl    Image result for tampa bay storm helmet afl    Image result for la avengers helmet afl

And no one will ever rid me of the conviction that the CityHawks' helmet logo was a major inspiration for the Ravens' helmet logo.

Even though it's not the original helmet logo they chose?

The Ravens original Raven head logo predates the CityHawks logo by one year.

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif

If you're wondering, yes, the Ravens used that logo despite the belief that it wasn't ever used. I've seen it in Memorial Stadium banners while looking at old footage.

I think if anything, the CityHawks were inspired by the Eagles who got their head logo in 1996.

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:
8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Historical note: the first team to use home and road helmets was the 1997 New York CityHawks of the Arena league.  They used gold at home and black on the road for their two seasons of existence.

Image result for 1997 new york cityhawks helmet  Image result for 1997 new york cityhawks helmet

Incorrect. The 1969 Philadelphia Eagles wore white at home and green on the road.

Whoa, really? 

Wow. The CityHawks stated that they were the first to do it.  I didn't imagine that they'd be mistaken about that.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Whoa, really? 

Wow. The CityHawks stated that they were the first to do it.  I didn't imagine that they'd be mistaken about that.

http://gridironuniforms.forumotion.com/t181-1969-eagles

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

First in the AFL, I wouldn't doubt.  First in football history, not so much.  I recall the Cardinals did it in their last decade in Chicago, and other teams probably did it as well.  Apparently the Packers did it for a minute too.

1957_ChiCardinals.png?6181

1957_GreenBay.png?6181

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

6 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

First in the AFL, I wouldn't doubt.  First in football history, not so much.  I recall the Cardinals did it in their last decade in Chicago, and other teams probably did it as well.  Apparently the Packers did it for a minute too.

1957_ChiCardinals.png?6181

1957_GreenBay.png?6181

Dang.

I was just repeating what the team claimed, which is that it was the first team in pro football, not just in the Arena league, to have home and road helmets.

I am disappointed to learn that this is not so. But of course I appreciate the correction.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Dang.

I was just repeating what the team claimed, which is that it was the first team in pro football, not just in the Arena league, to have home and road helmets.

I am disappointed to learn that this is not so. But of course I appreciate the correction.

Rule #1 - if an Arena League team is talking, it is probably lying :-)

It's where I sit.

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The Ravens original Raven head logo predates the CityHawks logo by one year.

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif

If you're wondering, yes, the Ravens used that logo despite the belief that it wasn't ever used. I've seen it in Memorial Stadium banners while looking at old footage.

I think if anything, the CityHawks were inspired by the Eagles who got their head logo in 1996.

That's the one they used (and I voted for) when a The Baltimore Sun conducted a poll to select the new logo.  The current logo wasn't one of the options (and presumably didn't exist yet).

In looking for a link to the poll, I found the following quote in a Sun article announcing the poll results.  I don't remember seeing it before, but it corroborates my recollection.

Modell added that the bird profile will be spruced up with a touch of sharper color. He also is interested in having a "B" displayed somewhere in the design.

"It isn't going to be that significant of a change," Modell said. "We just want to give it a little more vibrancy."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Rule #1 - if an Arena League team is talking, it is probably lying :-)

One time I called the office of the New Jersey Red Dogs, trying to buy some merchandise.  The team had no team store; but a guy told me that he'd meet me at the Jersey Gardens Mall with merchandise that I could buy.  This was right before the team rebranded to the Gladiators.  

[Side note: that's what a rebrand is.  If you can't say that a team rebranded to something, then it ain't a rebrand.  Aaanyway...]

I rode my bike to lower Manhattan, took the PATH train to Newark, and then rode my bike to Elizabeth to that mall.  I locked up my bike, went inside to the designated meeting point, and waited.  And waited.  The guy never showed up.  And he never picked up the phone or returned my subsequent calls.

The fact that this dirtbag couldn't even be bothered to take my money for the team's worthless crap shows what a shoddy operation it was.  (Still, I really dug Rickey Foggie and Alvin Ashley.)

But the CityHawks, run by the MSG people, were operated on a more professional basis.  Or so I thought.  That's why I believed what they claimed about their helmets.

50 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

One time I called the office of the New Jersey Red Dogs, trying to buy some merchandise.  The team had no team store; but a guy told me that he'd meet me at the Jersey Gardens Mall with merchandise that I could buy.  This was right before the team rebranded to the Gladiators

I rode my bike to lower Manhattan, took the PATH train to Newark, and then rode my bike to Elizabeth to that mall.  I locked up my bike, went inside to the designated meeting point, and waited.  And waited.  The guy never showed up.  And he never picked up the phone or returned my subsequent calls.

The fact that this dirtbag couldn't even be bothered to take my money for the team's worthless crap shows what a shoddy operation it was.

I dunno, when I got to "sure, just meet me outside this mall in New Jersey," that's when I would have decided there are things in life more important than arena football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The funny part would be if he had shown up and tried to peddle bootleg merch.  Even better if it was stuff with logos that he clearly simply drew himself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So far nothing posted at the Rams Twitter site.They've worn White over White all year at home except the 2 games they wore the throwbacks.I'm hoping for white over yellow pants for a Saturday night special under the lights.

14 minutes ago, Pauly said:

So far nothing posted at the Rams Twitter site.They've worn White over White all year at home except the 2 games they wore the throwbacks.I'm hoping for white over yellow pants for a Saturday night special under the lights.

You serious? That would look like absolute :censored: with the gold on the jersey and yellow of the pants. I’d argue that’d even look worse than when they had to wear the navy jerseys this season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

33 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

You serious? That would look like absolute :censored: with the gold on the jersey and yellow of the pants. 

The gold on the jersey is minor.The pants IMHO would look good under the lights.What would match even better would be the white pants the Rams wore last year with the gold striping on the sides but seeing the team is trying to rid themselves of the Vegas gold/St.Louis look probably not a valid choice.

8 minutes ago, Pauly said:

The gold on the jersey is minor.The pants IMHO would look good under the lights.What would match even better would be the white pants the Rams wore last year with the gold striping on the sides but seeing the team is trying to rid themselves of the Vegas gold/St.Louis look probably not a valid choice.

The yellow would look terrible, and would be 3 distinctly different uniform pieces worn at the same time. Terrible. 

Last years whites are history. They will more than likely be in white over white, their home unifor of this season.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

I dunno, when I got to "sure, just meet me outside this mall in New Jersey," that's when I would have decided there are things in life more important than arena football.

That is a fair point.

Still, I figured that, due to the fact that I was willing to exchange actual American currency for items that most people would consider garbage, he'd probably turn up. Alas, I was mistaken.

Still, it was a fun adventure to take on my bike. And, while I've not been back to that mall, I have ridden through Elizabeth a few times since then.

Also, I discovered that I liked Newark, and have visited it on my bike plenty of times -- and lately without using the train, thanks to the bridge connection from Jersey City via Kearny that opened up about five years ago.  (Pro tip: there are plenty of good hat stores around the intersection of Broad and Market Streets.)

So the moral of the story is that Arena Football can lead to enlightenment, even if indirectly.

Archived