Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

The gold on the jersey is minor.The pants IMHO would look good under the lights.What would match even better would be the white pants the Rams wore last year with the gold striping on the sides but seeing the team is trying to rid themselves of the Vegas gold/St.Louis look probably not a valid choice.

If the gold was so minor, then you wouldn’t see people from the general public even complaining about how mismatched their white-on-white home looks.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it can't be stressed enough that even the general public is annoyed by the Rams' uniform decisions. They don't need to know the why and how of it, just that it's bad and that it shouldn't be this hard to look like the Rams. I don't think a botched uniform has had this kind of mainstream penetration before.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well the fans need to complain to the league about the uniform change rule the way Raider fans complained in 2002 about the Tom Brady fumble/incomplete pass oh wait.?.It is what it is.Seems the Rams navy jersey has replaced the Cowboys navy one as the jersey no one wants to wear.

47 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Well the fans need to complain to the league about the uniform change rule the way Raider fans complained in 2002 about the Tom Brady fumble/incomplete pass oh wait.?.

Speaking of complaining, Boston sports fans citing the fcuking Ideal Gas Law to exonerate Brady from Deflategate forever has to be the most Boston sports complaint of all time. That couldn't have been anyone anywhere else! It was the Eldritch Abomination child of Car Talk and WEEI, without a doubt one of the most infuriating events in the history of North American sports.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Well the fans need to complain to the league about the uniform change rule the way Raider fans complained in 2002 about the Tom Brady fumble/incomplete pass oh wait.?.It is what it is.Seems the Rams navy jersey has replaced the Cowboys navy one as the jersey no one wants to wear.

No, the fans need to complain to the team for making the change knowing full well that the league rules would prevent them from looking good.

I feel like this gets said too much around here, but I can't believe someone from the team green lighted that look.  Someone needs to lose a job for this, unless the owner personally signed-off on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No, the fans need to complain to the team for making the change knowing full well that the league rules would prevent them from looking good.

I feel like this gets said too much around here, but I can't believe someone from the team green lighted that look.  Someone needs to lose a job for this, unless the owner personally signed-off on it.

This somehow gets lost/ignored around here. The Rams have had multiple opportunities to change to the classic colors, and could change any year they want going forward; they've had this uniform set forever. The only reason they continue to look bad is because they want their moment of glory in their now-delayed new stadium.

I think it's really interesting to note just how many official Baltimore Ravens logos there have been over the years. Each is similar in that depicts a Raven, same colors, etc. Its just interesting we don't have this same kind of evolution/comparison with other teams like the eagles, Panthers etc

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

This somehow gets lost/ignored around here. The Rams have had multiple opportunities to change to the classic colors, and could change any year they want going forward; they've had this uniform set forever. The only reason they continue to look bad is because they want their moment of glory in their now-delayed new stadium.

And from a fan-relations perspective, shouldn't the moment of glory have come from the return to LA as opposed to the stadium?   LA fans (in theory) probably care more about the former.

And if they wanted it to coincide with the stadium so badly, they should have just stuck with the full St. Louis look in the interim.  It's not a terrible look; it's not right for LA and not as good as the classic LA uniform, but it's better than this silly mashup.

And yeah, it's not the NFL's fault.  The five-year rule makes sense...if teams were changing all the time, their (and, therefore, the league's) looks would be watered down and the PR would be bad because fan gear would become outdated with far more frequency.  The Rams had three choices: Stick with St. L until the the stadium is built, change to the classic look right away, or do what they are doing.  They chose the worst option.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

And from a fan-relations perspective, shouldn't the moment of glory have come from the return to LA as opposed to the stadium?  The return to the classic uniform should have come with the return to LA and not the stadium.  LA fans (in theory) probably care more about the former.

And if they wanted it to coincide with the stadium so badly, they should have just stuck with the full St. Louis look in the interim.  It's not a terrible look; it's not right for LA and not as good as the classic LA uniform, but it's better than this silly mashup.

And yeah, it's not the NFL's fault.  The five-year rule makes sense...if teams were changing all the time, their (and, therefore, the league's) looks would be watered down and the PR would be bad because fan gear would become outdated with far more frequency.  The Rams had three choices: Stick with St. L until the the stadium is built, change to the classic look right away, or do what they are doing.  They chose the worst option.

This.  A thousand times this.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, in my mind, there should be a clear line between the St. Louis team and Los Angeles team, not St. Louis, Los Angeles while waiting for the Inglewood stadium to open which is gonna take an extra year because of flooding on the construction site and the FAA doing its job, and then the fully-realized Los Angeles Rams. Have a neo-retro Rams set designed in advance and ready to roll out -- in case of relocation, break glass. And honestly, a lot of that could have been achieved with a simple template recolor and a better number set.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, in my mind, there should be a clear line between the St. Louis team and Los Angeles team, not St. Louis, Los Angeles while waiting for the Inglewood stadium to open which is gonna take an extra year because of flooding on the construction site and the FAA doing its job, and then the fully-realized Los Angeles Rams. Have a neo-retro Rams set designed in advance and ready to roll out -- in case of relocation, break glass. And honestly, a lot of that could have been achieved with a simple template recolor and a better number set.

Well they won the SB in stl wearing their anaheim uniforms and I don't think anyone got too pissed about that. Much of the move back to LA is overblown with the fact that they had to do something visually drastic to differentiate. With that being said, had they kept the navy masks and used a white horn thinly outlined in gold then reversed the pant striping they would have had the perfect homage to the LA coliseum rams while having a matching uniform. What a bunch of fools.

24 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Well they won the SB in stl wearing their anaheim uniforms and I don't think anyone got too pissed about that.

Different context. There was no expectation of rebranding the team for St. Louis at that time; they were just going to be the same Rams in a different city the way the Dodgers were. Of course, in the 21st century, they darkened the blue and faded the gold, then proceeded to chip away at that with navy-over-white and monochrome sets that never quite worked. So once there was a distinctly "St. Louis Rams" identity, one of drained colors, failed tinkering, and most of all copious losing, it was incumbent upon moving back to the previous city to revert from those changes, which turned out to be not an evolution of the Rams but more like a bad dream. Even if the Rams got their publicly funded stadium on whichever blighted patch of the riverfront the city tried to gift them, they should have gone back to royal blue and athletic gold simply to wash off the stink of 65 losses in five years and their carpeted tomb of a stadium.

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Different context. There was no expectation of rebranding the team for St. Louis at that time; they were just going to be the same Rams in a different city the way the Dodgers were. Of course, in the 21st century, they darkened the blue and faded the gold, then proceeded to chip away at that with navy-over-white and monochrome sets that never quite worked. So once there was a distinctly "St. Louis Rams" identity, one of drained colors, failed tinkering, and most of all copious losing, it was incumbent upon moving back to the previous city to revert from those changes, which turned out to be not an evolution of the Rams but more like a bad dream. Even if the Rams got their publicly funded stadium on whichever blighted patch of the riverfront the city tried to gift them, they should have gone back to royal blue and athletic gold simply to wash off the stink of 65 losses in five years and their carpeted tomb of a stadium.

I think you're being a tad dramatic.

New unis when they moved. New alt with the new stadium that eventually turns into the new primary. It's not that hard, Stan. It's not the NFL's fault; the Rams did this to themselves.

I did come up with an unconventional compromise, though. They could create a new dark jersey immediately and a matching white, but not sell the white jersey to fans (maybe through some kind of special order?). Then, when the stadium opens and their get their new jerseys glowing, descended from heaven and ferried by cherubs, the new-old dark jersey becomes the alt. That way, you don't have to worry about jerseys sitting on shelves becoming outdated in less than five years. We've seen evidence that dark jerseys vastly outsell whites, so I don't think it will really be that great of a loss in sales. Surely, the full return of the old colors will boost sales.

2 hours ago, TJSC said:

How much would a uniform fine cost?

If Stan wasn't a billionaire I'd totally start a GoFundMe for this one.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/5/2018 at 7:16 PM, guest23 said:

With that being said, had they kept the navy masks and used a white horn thinly outlined in gold then reversed the pant striping they would have had the perfect homage to the LA coliseum rams while having a matching uniform. What a bunch of fools.

You are right.  Simple, subtle touches to the helmet and pants and you still accomplish what you are going for without this mess.  ?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived