Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Sure.  If they were to do a straight recolor, they’d have to leave the logo as-is.  And I’d probably use white names to balance that out.   The white outlines, and other white details, really need to go.  It’s not necessary to separate athletic gold and royal the way it is navy and metallic gold.

But let me be clear - I don’t personally think that re-coloring the current uniforms is a particularly great idea for the Rams.  They have many better options.  It’s just if they were to do that, they should also eliminate the white wherever possible. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Looking at the Rams schedule, id wear the throwbacks against Vikings on 9.27 and Eagles on 12.16.  Maybe throw in the color rush gold set for the Niners at home

Shouldn't they wear them on games that they're likely to win?  Would seem more appropriate to wear them against the 49ers and maybe Raiders since both teams look the same as they did when the Rams throwbacks were originally worn?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/11/rams-want-to-wear-blue-and-yellow-uniforms-more-often-but-nfl-says-no/

Rams COO Kevin Demoff says the team has asked the NFL for permission to wear the blue and yellow throwbacks more often, but the NFL limited the Rams to wearing them twice last season. Demoff said he’s working on explaining to the league office that the fans would prefer those uniforms.

“We have spent the year educating them on our fan base,” Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

Demoff said the Navy blue jerseys the Rams have worn aren’t anyone’s favorite.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” he said. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow. If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-uniforms-20180511-story.html

Demoff said the Rams and Nike have worked together the last few months about starting the process for a redesigned uniform and that the Rams probably would make an announcement about a timeline in the coming weeks.

"By the end of the offseason, our fans will know what the timeline and process will be and how to get involved in the jersey process," Demoff said.

Since their return to Southern California after a near two-decade absence, the Rams have been planning a major rebrand, including uniforms. The original target was 2019, to coincide with a move into their new Inglewood stadium. But the stadium opening has been delayed until 2020, so the Rams will decide by the end of this spring whether to introduce redesigned uniforms in 2019 or 2020, Demoff said.

Demoff said that after surveying the Rams' schedule, he did not foresee a circumstance that would force the Rams to don blue jerseys on the road this season.

The Rams requested to wear the uniforms for a Week 6 game at Jacksonville and for the home wild-card playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons, but the requests were denied, Demoff said.

They could do it if they weren't so insistent on waiting on the new stadium for a rebrand. A lot of the blame should go towards the team. They are the ones that don't want to fully change their look right now, because they want to roll out something completely new in 2 years. 

23 minutes ago, FroznYogurt said:

Maybe they’re playing hardball because the Rams up and changed their logo, helmet, and pant design knowing full well they couldn’t change the jersey without jeopardizing their reported “new stadium” uniform timeline.

”You made the bed, now sleep in it. Love, Roger” :lol:

Honestly, though, I feel like the Rams have no plan right now, other than, “Hey, we’re getting new uniforms when this amazing new building opens, just hang on a few years!”

I dont know any of the details, but maybe if they had a more concrete plan, the league would be more accommodating. If they asked to do simple blue and white USC style jerseys as a Fearsome Foursome throwback until the new building opens (and as a nod to their temporary home in the Coliseum), then launch their new set with the new building, but keep the blue Fearsome Foursome uniform as a third so that the “temporary” look lives for more than three years, that seems like a fair compromise.

Or, couldn’t they technically be within the rules if they switched to blue and white now, then added blue and yellow versions as a third/Color Rush fourth when the new building opens?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is the RAMS' FAULT, NOT THE LEAGUE'S.

They HAD the opportunity to change, but chose not to.  Then they ruined their uniforms, and are trying to blame the league for not allowing them to change their mind on the decision they consciously made.  It's pathetic that they're trying to point the finger at the NFL, and "educate" them, as if they're morons that don't understand the fan bases and marketing implications.

If anyone need's education, it's the Rams organization themselves.  They need to be better educated as to the rules, deadlines, and ramifications of their own decisions.

Idiots.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, Bluefalcon said:

The Rams should just do what the 49ers did in 1994...wear the throwbacks anyway. At worst they would be fined by Goodell every week. Besides, people aren't exactly lining up to buy the blue and gold jerseys from St Louis anyway.

I'd love for this to happen.  What's the league going to do - cancel the game if the team changes into the throwbacks in between warmups and the coin toss?

I'm sure the by-laws have limits on the amount they can fine them, so it's probably not like the league can say "if you do that again, it's a $5 billion fine".  While the team created this mess for themselves, I'd still love to see them just bully their way out of it.  Power to the people!

8 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Passive aggressive punishment from goodell for not following relocation protocol and forcing their way into the market.

They did follow relocation protocol, though.  Despite Goodell's attempts to keep them in St, Louis, the Rams held his feet to the fire by playing by the rules.

If I’m hosting the Rams, I’m going white at home to force them to wear the mismatch. I’m also a small, petty person. 

(I know why they did it, but it’s a shame they’ve effectively dropped the gold. The St. Louis set with gold pants was a great modern look.)

The league is a joke when it comes to this issue. Let the team wear the throwbacks every week. 

#1- they look better

#2- they will sell better

Rams should just say screw it and wear them anyways. Pay the fines and give the fans what we want

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They did follow relocation protocol, though.  Despite Goodell's attempts to keep them in St, Louis, the Rams held his feet to the fire by playing by the rules.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The fact that the relo came down to a secret ballot because none of the owners had the guts to put their name on it is pretty indicative that there were some backdoor dealings going on beforehand. I will restate my point to emphasize the bad blood between the two parties is a legitimate reason for the league office to deny the rams any favours.

51 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

They could do it if they weren't so insistent on waiting on the new stadium for a rebrand. A lot of the blame should go towards the team. They are the ones that don't want to fully change their look right now, because they want to roll out something completely new in 2 years. 

Exactly this is on them

Already been said 3 or 4 times in this thread, but here I'll say it again.  This is the fault of the Rams entirely.  I know it's second nature for some to blame the League for... oh, pretty much everything ("Rahh, stupid rules! Rahhh, one helmet!!! Rahhh, NFL stands for No Fun League, and I just thought of that!!").  To quote Gothamite... Nonsense. The Rams are not dealing with any 5 year rule restrictions... they could've changed their uniforms when they moved, they could've changed their uniforms last year, they could've changed them this year.  They could, at any time during an off-season, officially make the throwbacks into the primary and be done.  But if they did that, then they will be stuck in  the 5 year window, and THEY wanted to roll out something new and make a big splash at the same time they moved into their new stadium. (And I'm willing to bet this new uniform will have extraneous crap on it making it significantly inferior to the throwback, by the way.)  On top of that, they are the geniuses who decided to fiddle with every part of their current uniform except the jersey... they could've just sat tight and waited.  So... it is NOT the NFL's fault they wanted to wait, and it's NOT the NFL's fault they went drunk design on their current uniform. I'm glad the powers that be are forcing them to take the field looking like idiots... they deserve it. 

(One piece of good news from this article... the Rams seem to be very clear on the fan base's desire to have the traditional blue and gold back.  Although I don't have a ton of confidence that they'll be restrained and tasteful with the overall design, at least they'll get the colors right.)

22 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

If I’m hosting the Rams, I’m going white at home to force them to wear the mismatch. I’m also a small, petty person. 

(I know why they did it, but it’s a shame they’ve effectively dropped the gold. The St. Louis set with gold pants was a great modern look.)

That would be awesome. Growing up whenever I would play the Cowboys at home in madden I’d always wear my away white jerseys just to force them into their blues.

9 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The fact that the relo came down to a secret ballot because none of the owners had the guts to put their name on it is pretty indicative that there were some backdoor dealings going on beforehand.

Not really? The secret ballot was a move to counter Spanos.

The owners felt they “owed” Dean Spanos, and the secret ballot allowed them to all vote for Kroenke’s superior plan for the LA market without having to publicly put their name on it. So as to not offend Dean’s gentle soul or some such BS. 

It just worked better than expected, allowing nearly the entire league to vote for Kroenke’s proposal. Probably because, when you get right down to it, it was the superior option in nearly every respect. 

Why some people, outside of St. Louis loyalists, insist on casting Stan Kroenke as the villain is beyond me. 

Dude bought the team with his own money. Bought land for a stadium in the market of his choosing with his own money. And is paying for a new stadium. With his own money. He’s not asking for, or taking, tax money he doesn’t need. 

He’s basically handling the Rams’ quest for a new building the way we’d wish all billionaire owners would. 

That said? The insistence on waiting for a new building to unveil new uniforms is stupid. Factor in the likelihood that whatever they come up with will probably be inferior to any of their throwback options? And yeah. They should have gone with the royal and athletic gold throwbacks they already had on tap full-time immediately upon returning to LA. 

3 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

That would be awesome. Growing up whenever I would play the Cowboys at home in madden I’d always wear my away white jerseys just to force them into their blues.

I'm 32... and I still do that.

Archived