Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Correct. I’m not familiar with LA or the Rams prior to 1980. I only know that when I started folllowing NFL in late 80s (the Jim Everett era) they weren’t the Lakers. So while I’ll take what you’re saying as true for that time, but it certainly had faded by the 90s. 

Well you're spot on there. The Anaheim debacle was a disaster for them, they started losing ground to the other local teams even though they were good in the '80s. Anger at the Rams, Fernandomania, Showtime and Raiders combined to essentially ruin the franchise.

Then in the '90s they started losing a lot and they became ghosts. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gods I miss Fernandomania. When he was all washed up and came to the Phillies, I was so excited, only to be let down once I realized the harsh reality of the situation. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Then Wouldn’t they be averaging more than 69k/game?  That’s certainly not bad, and I know the LA market is tough, but to me it doesn’t seem like a Lakers/ Clippers situation, but more like Clippers A and Clippers B (albeit B far behind A)

They cap the tickets around 69k. I'm not sure what it is exactly (70k? 75k?) but they don't intend on selling out the entire Colosseum.

Even then. Compare the Rams' 69k/game to the 25k/game that are mostly road fans for the Chargers? And it's very much a Lakers/Clippers deal.

I'm not familiar with the LA sports scene either, but everyone from there I've spoken to seems psyched about the Rams and apathetic about the Chargers. So I definitely do think you can use the Lakers/Clippers dynamic here.

Whateves. At least they're out of :censored: ing St. Louis.

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I love all the revisionist history that the rams were beloved in LA and are the Lakers to someone else’s Clippers.  For one thing, it would mean that an Anaheim team was the core team in the LA market, which would complicate some other arguments that some have made in other thread.  

I think the Chargers = Clippers argument is entirely accurate.  But I don't think the Rams are anything close to the Lakers apart from both happening to be the most popular LA team in their respective sport.  

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

They cap the tickets around 69k. I'm not sure what it is exactly (70k? 75k?) but they don't intend on selling out the entire Colosseum.

Even then. Compare the Rams' 69k/game to the 25k/game that are mostly road fans for the Chargers? And it's very much a Lakers/Clippers deal.

I'm not familiar with the LA sports scene either, but everyone from there I've spoken to seems psyched about the Rams and apathetic about the Chargers. So I definitely do think you can use the Lakers/Clippers dynamic here.

Whateves. At least they're out of :censored: ing St. Louis.

They’re also capping the tickets since the entire Coliseum is a construction zone this year.

ASSJY3l.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

12 hours ago, NicDB said:

I think the Chargers = Clippers argument is entirely accurate.  But I don't think the Rams are anything close to the Lakers apart from both happening to be the most popular LA team in their respective sport.  

This was pretty much what I was getting at. The chargers exist only for visiting fans that want a road trip.. then again, Rams games can sound that way too. I believe one Rams player said he thought it was a road game when they played the SBCPE. 

Edit: it was actually rivers of the chargers. I thought a ram said the same but no source to cite. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I believe one Rams player said he thought it was a road game when they played the SBCPE. 

To be fair, couldn't that also be said for every road game that the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles play?

16 hours ago, threesox84 said:

Well you're spot on there. The Anaheim debacle was a disaster for them, they started losing ground to the other local teams even though they were good in the '80s. Anger at the Rams, Fernandomania, Showtime and Raiders combined to essentially ruin the franchise.

Then in the '90s they started losing a lot and they became ghosts. 

Eh, I wouldn't overplay the Anaheim thing.

Angel/Anaheim stadium is 30 miles from downtown. Yes, traffic makes a difference but geographically it's not what the problem was. Georgia Frontiere was the problem.

Also I'll be frank about what a lot of people have told me regarding the Chargers besides the other reasons everyone knows.

It's a perception that the Chargers brand is bland/unexciting, and to be frank with the navy color scheme it is.

The sooner they go full powder blue the better.

18 minutes ago, colortv said:

Angel/Anaheim stadium is 30 miles from downtown. Yes, traffic makes a difference but geographically it's not what the problem was. Georgia Frontiere was the problem.

The Orange Curtain was a thing, after all.

27 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I still think the NFL is working feverishly behind the scenes to get the Chargers back to San Diego in a new stadiun. How? I really have no idea but I don't think they've given up on it

The optics of them playing in that microscopic soccer stadium with 60% out of town fans is horrific

It's over friend. For political, economic, and ownership reasons. It just doesn't make any sense to go back at this point. Chargers will be fine, they will retain a portion(if not most over the course of time ) of the San Diego fanbase while having greater appeal to a region of 20 million people.

If they go full powder blue and have the winning/stars in LA they will become an iconic franchise.

The Chargers actually had a very good turnout at the Rams game. I think the prices at Stubhub are a deterrent right now.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

Yeah, that too. Anyway I'm not sure how familiar you are with Southern California but to Angelenos, Orange County might as well be an entirely different city. We'll take credit for Disneyland and disown everything else. We like the Dodgers, not the Angles. We like the Kings, not the Ducks. We like the... wait? Not the... Rams?

It was at least as big a problem as Georgia was, at least until 1995 when she went FULL witch and stole the team outright.

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Historically, there has been a racial component to the contentious relationship between LA and OC.  That’s diminished greatly, I understand, but when the Rams played in Anaheim it was very much a thing.

Some local newscast did a piece on The Differences Between Rams Fans And Raiders Fans back in the early '90s that I have a feeling had to be carefully assembled to avoid saying the quiet part loud:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived