Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Some local newscast did a piece on The Differences Between Rams Fans And Raiders Fans back in the early '90s that I have a feeling had to be carefully assembled to avoid saying the quiet part loud:

Wow.   And not entirely successful at that, either. 

That is... something.  Really does encapsulate what a lot of people thought back then.  And a reminder that lazy, hot-take “journalism” isn’t strictly a product of the Internet Age. 

On 9/28/2018 at 4:32 AM, Gothamite said:

Beyond working with NFL Properties, as required?  I highly doubt it. And I’m not sure that they should.  

From the Rams’ perspective, why should they?  The Chargers are an unwelcome roommate, an interloper in their city and their stadium.  They were forced to let the Chargers in, but they don’t have to help them.  And the Chargers haven’t demonstrated any leverage in the city that could force the Rams to include them in any conversation.

I don’t see a reason why the Rams should let the Chargers impact their plans in any way.

Good point. Makes a lot of sense for the Chargers to blend in so they don't look like they don't belong. 

I always liked how the Sounders branded with a version of the Seahawks colors so that they looked like they belonged in the Seahawks stadium. Granted they were owned by the same people at the time so it would have been much easier. 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, the admiral said:

I'd argue that no metropolitan area ever can nor should be a "Raiders town." They're supposed to be too countercultural to just be the local team. Liking the Raiders has to be a conscious alternative choice you make and subsequently regret. That's one part among many of what makes this Las Vegas situation so gruesome, the idea that they'll just be the default institution for dopes who live in a half-foreclosed housing tract with lawns made of gravel.

There is one city that is truly a "Raiders town" and its not Oakland, LA, or Vegas. Its Fresno, that area bleeds the sliver and black. Davis should of moved the team there, halfway between Oakland and la and can still hold on to a lot of the previous fans 

5 hours ago, plobrien said:

There is one city that is truly a "Raiders town" and its not Oakland, LA, or Vegas. Its Fresno, that area bleeds the sliver and black. Davis should of moved the team there, halfway between Oakland and la and can still hold on to a lot of the previous fans 

As much as I am fascinated by California's regionalist culture, Fresno/Central Valley isn't going to work for a modern NFL team. I don't think the NFL wants or needs to expand to another Jacksonville or Buffalo type of market, even if the nature of the Raiders would mitigate some of the disadvantages.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

As much as I am fascinated by California's regionalist culture, Fresno/Central Valley isn't going to work for a modern NFL team. I don't think the NFL wants or needs to expand to another Jacksonville or Buffalo type of market, even if the nature of the Raiders would mitigate some of the disadvantages.

Fresno couldn't even support an ECHL team and Fresno State only averages 30,000 a game at 75% capacity.

VmWIn6B.png

Am I the only one that thinks their "Royal" blue is too light? I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it's definitely better than the white with gold. I love it when they wear the throwbacks, but something with that blue just seems off, like it should be a little darker. I know lighting will affect pictures, but even watching the game live, that blue just seemed too light. I mean, look at the two. Pretty big difference to me.

https://a.scpr.org/i/817bbec65d5dac28840b18febb806964/125711-full.jpg

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery/f_auto/rams/c13ygysnfdvhkezvqfxe.jpg

20 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

Am I the only one that thinks their "Royal" blue is too light? I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it's definitely better than the white with gold. I love it when they wear the throwbacks, but something with that blue just seems off, like it should be a little darker. I know lighting will affect pictures, but even watching the game live, that blue just seemed too light. I mean, look at the two. Pretty big difference to me.

https://a.scpr.org/i/817bbec65d5dac28840b18febb806964/125711-full.jpg

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photogallery/f_auto/rams/c13ygysnfdvhkezvqfxe.jpg

Did you get that last picture from something the Rams put out? Because they use a filter on their social media/website photos this year.

The royal does seem a little lighter, but not as light as that photo you posted.

11175498_web1_11175498-841c84b80d4c466f8

usatsi_11328637.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=0

maxresdefault.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Did you get that last picture from something the Rams put out? Because they use a filter on their social media/website photos this year.

The royal does seem a little lighter, but not as light as that photo you posted.

11175498_web1_11175498-841c84b80d4c466f8

usatsi_11328637.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=0

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah I think it might have been from their website. This one looks pretty light. Straight from NFL.com

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/pg-photo/2018/09/27/0ap3000000967310/todd-gurley.jpg

21 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

Ok, so NFL.com puts Instagram-like filters on their photos? Whatever you say. 

Of course.  I don't know why that should seem so strange.

21 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

Am i still the only one that thinks that blue is too light?

The Nike matte material often looks lighter under certain conditions.  That's why the Packers have refused to adopt it.  Their green, after all, is the same color as the Jets'.  But Packer fans would flip to see this at Lambeau:

Jets_Marshall_Released_Football_62866-af

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Of course.  I don't know why that should seem so strange.

The Nike matte material often looks lighter under certain conditions.  That's why the Packers have refused to adopt it.  Their green, after all, is the same color as the Jets'.  But Packer fans would flip to see this at Lambeau:

Jets_Marshall_Released_Football_62866-af

NFL.com using filters on their photos seem strange to me, because I always thought they were straight from the game, un-altered. Matte sucks, and Nike sucks. I always liked when the uniforms had somewhat of a metallic sheen to them.

1 hour ago, duxrcool048 said:

Ok, so NFL.com puts Instagram-like filters on their photos? Whatever you say. Am i still the only one that thinks that blue is too light?

Yes. That pic you posted is from their Instagram:

Looking at photos on the NFL.com Rams site, they're using a mix of actual and filtered pics from the team's social media. Look up Rams pics on the Getty website, and you'll see nothing but accurate photos.

I don't care what anyone says. NAVY IS UGLY AS HELL!

Rams need to stick with Royal Blue and Gold and make their away's Royal Blue/Gold/White and fix the helmet to actually match the rest of the jersey instead of it being a different shade.

As for the Chargers the Powder Blue and Gold is the best look by far. And they need to eliminate all the Navy from their logos and just stick with Powder Blue, Gold, and White.

Southern California is vibrant and those colors actually remind you of California. Too many teams use navy already and it's such a bland and boring color. The only team that really pulls it off is the Bears because atleast the orange is striking enough that helps balance out all that navy.

37 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

NFL.com using filters on their photos seem strange to me, because I always thought they were straight from the game, un-altered. Matte sucks, and Nike sucks. I always liked when the uniforms had somewhat of a metallic sheen to them.

Why should that be?  NFL.com is a promotional vehicle, not a news archive.  No reason why they shouldn’t re-touch photos. 

I agree on Nike and matte, though. 

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why should that be?  NFL.com is a promotional vehicle, not a news archive.  No reason why they shouldn’t re-touch photos. 

I agree on Nike and matte, though. 

Because that stupid filter :censored: should be reserved for Instagram/Twitter or Facebook. Not a website representing the National Football League. I don't care about professional sports organizations trying to be trendy or stay up on the latest thing/whatever, just because social media sites do it.

1 hour ago, duxrcool048 said:

Because that stupid filter :censored: should be reserved for Instagram/Twitter or Facebook. Not a website representing the National Football League. I don't care about professional sports organizations trying to be trendy or stay up on the latest thing/whatever, just because social media sites do it.

The NFL only operates a website for the purposes of promoting its product.  They routinely update the design to reflect modern trends in web design and customer interaction. That’s it’s sole reason for existing.

I don’t alwsys love those modern trends either, but I have sadly come to the realization that I’m not always the target audience. :D 

Archived