Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

using yellow as the primary home uniform is definitely a no go from the fans perspective. 

Blanket statement with little to back it up other than an assumption.

We know Rams fans want a return to the LA colors and we also know the color rush jerseys are very popular. Yellow primaries being a "no go" from the fans perspective is pure speculation.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, colortv said:

We know Rams fans want a return to the LA colors and we also know the color rush jerseys are very popular. Yellow primaries being a "no go" from the fans perspective is pure speculation.

Everything about the NFL’s return to LA has been full of blanket statements. From people insisting their preferred stadium plan was a lock to people insisting that their preferred combination of teams was a lock. 

Hell, we had people who swore up and down that it would be the Chargers and Jags at one point. 

And once it was narrowed down to some combination of the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers? You had people insisting that a full rebrand (including a rename) would be in the works, despite all three teams very obviously intending to keep their names and general brands intact should they move. 

AND THEN when the Rams were announced as the first team that would move? There were people here who were predicting some sort of Nike volt and grey uniform because it’s LA and modern and #fire yadayada

Which brings us here. Because you’re right. There is no proof that Rams fans are adverse to gold jerseys as the full time look. There’s no proof they want it either, however. 

I can say that most LA Rams fans I’ve spoken to seem to prefer the idea of royal blue over gold as the primary home colour. And while this is hardly scientific? That combined with the shots of crowds of people wearing the old LA royal blue jerseys to celebrate the team’s return home tells me that royal would probably win out over athletic gold if put to a vote. 

I’m sorry if that seemed lengthy, but I’m just tired of everyone treating their opinions and preferences of NFL football in LA as fact when they’re really not. 

Sadly we won’t see the end of this until the new stadium is finished and the Rams (and possibly Chargers) unveil new looks. Then we’ll know what LA football will look like for the foreseeable future and we can all stop presenting our hot take preferences as fact. 

32 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Given what we've seen over the past 2 years if I had to bet I'd say we're going to see some modernization of the blue/white look as their re-brand, and the royal/yellow throw backs 3-4 times a year. 

I seem to recall that it was all but confirmed that the new uniforms would use royal blue and athletic gold but I may be remembering that wrong. 

2 hours ago, colortv said:

I mean it's not the largest sample size but I have at least some evidence back up my claim that yellow as the primary is not a great idea. this was a poll I ran on the Rams reddit a couple of months ago to see what people would like to see when I came to colors in the new stadium, as you can see both yellow options finished at the bottom. 

Tkfjrvx.jpg

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I seem to recall that it was all but confirmed that the new uniforms would use royal blue and athletic gold but I may be remembering that wrong. 

I can’t pull up any sources that state this exactly, but I feel like for anyone paying attention, it should be obvious that going with anything other than a royal and athletic gold brand would be a huge bait and switch on their part. Any assumption that they’ll continue with the navy and white is based purely on the presumption that they are wont to make the worst choice possible in any case.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I’m just tired of everyone treating their opinions and preferences of NFL football in LA as fact when they’re really not. 

Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but I KNOW my opinion is fact because I heard from a guy I went to high school with that his sister was dating a guy whose ex had a cousin in Sacramento who spent a semester at UCLA and that person said that while they don’t follow football, yellow jerseys are quote “more prettier.” So yeah, I think my opinion is more of a fact than anyone else’s 😎

2 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

I mean it's not the largest sample size but I have at least some evidence back up my claim that yellow as the primary is not a great idea. this was a poll I ran on the Rams reddit

Yeah, you could have stopped right there. 

Polls made up of self-selecting participants drawn from an already self-selecting minority community tell us exactly nothing about any larger group of people.

Twitter polls, Facebook polls, Reddit polls, they’re fun and all but should never be taken seriously. 

Having been to more than a handful of Rams game since their return, having gone to training camp sessions and seen what people are wearing, yes, sure, people like the yellow Color Rush unis. However, there are always more throwbacks than anything else. And I'm not just talking about the melonheads wearing Youngblood and Dickerson jerseys, I'm talking about current throwback Gurley, Donald, Goff, etc.

No, it's not scientific. It's anecdotal, and none of you know me from the next guy, but I'm there. I see what the people are wearing in the parking lots, on the Metro, the colors flying at the tailgates, all throughout the Coliseum and just everywhere else in SoCal. it's royal blue and yellow.

The Color Rush is a fine alternate. Royal Blue and Yellow is the primary identity of the Los Angeles Rams fanbase.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Having been to more than a handful of Rams game since their return, having gone to training camp sessions and seen what people are wearing, yes, sure, people like the yellow Color Rush unis. However, there are always more throwbacks than anything else. And I'm not just talking about the melonheads wearing Youngblood and Dickerson jerseys, I'm talking about current throwback Gurley, Donald, Goff, etc.

No, it's not scientific. It's anecdotal, and none of you know me from the next guy, but I'm there. I see what the people are wearing in the parking lots, on the Metro, the colors flying at the tailgates, all throughout the Coliseum and just everywhere else in SoCal. it's royal blue and yellow.

The Color Rush is a fine alternate. Royal Blue and Yellow is the primary identity of the Los Angeles Rams fanbase.

But people don't buy new jerseys every time they want to wear a jersey. They wear what's in their closet.

The fact you see more throwbacks is because A) that's what they already owned, and B ) That's what they wanted when they first envisioned the team returning.

The color rush never existed really, at least from an LA perspective until they played with it in Los Angeles. The question should be: which trend do you see? A higher percentage of yellow jerseys or a higher percentage of throwbacks over time?

Not LA-based, but I'd prefer Royal Blue and Gold to be the primary look.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would expect the Rams to do what the Giants did; lighten the helmet a little, maybe give it some metallic sparkle to make it a better match to the jersey.  It doesn't match exactly in all conditions - few helmets do - but it's much closer to the spirit of the thing.

TaylorLawrenceBucs-768x977.jpgnyg-2.jpg

What about a matte finish with shiney horns?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What about a matte finish with shiney horns?  

Eh, the California sun would make me prefer something metallic or glossy... The Giants helmets look really nice in the sun:

Carlos+Rogers+Victor+Cruz+New+York+Giant 

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

But people don't buy new jerseys every time they want to wear a jersey. They wear what's in their closet.

The fact you see more throwbacks is because A) that's what they already owned, and B ) That's what they wanted when they first envisioned the team returning.

The color rush never existed really, at least from an LA perspective until they played with it in Los Angeles. The question should be: which trend do you see? A higher percentage of yellow jerseys or a higher percentage of throwbacks over time?

Well over time is going to be exactly one more season. So they don't have too much more time to observe the trend, but we're already in season 3 with back-to-back successful seasons when merchandise buying is high.

And in those three seasons, as I said, I've seen more than just the actual throwbacks (i.e. Dickerson, Youngblood, Ferragamo, etc.). I've seen (and bought myself) current new throwbacks of Gurley, Donald, Goff, Kupp, etc. Unless they really stuck with the team in St. Louis, I don't see too many people already owning Gurley or Donald throwbacks, and anything Goff is obviously new.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 minute ago, GFB said:

Eh, the California sun would make me prefer something metallic or glossy... The Giants helmets look really nice in the sun:

Carlos+Rogers+Victor+Cruz+New+York+Giant 

what about the opposite?  Can they make flat/matte decals for the horns?  Just something to make them jump off the helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

what about the opposite?  Can they make flat/matte decals for the horns?  Just something to make them jump off the helmet.

I'm pretty sure that what they have now and will continue to do because the horns are decals... unless they make the change back to painting the horns.

(you can see here that the horn decals have less of a gloss in this picture)

gettyimages-859135102.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

Archived