Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Looks too collegiate for some reason to me.

I’ve had that opinion whenever I see the lighter helmet shell.  The navy helmet is what you think of with the Rams. Making it royal makes it look too much like Angelo State.

Iz9kkDx.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not if they’re keeping the horns on the shoulders,  That’s the one thing that doesn’t really work on the modern jerseys, but it’s also the one thing the team insists on maintaining.

Nike will probably give them a pointless custom number font, fixing a non-existent “problem”.

I honestly don’t think they’ll keep the shoulder horns, and think the reason is it would make the new jersey too similar to the throwback. The general preference from a merchandising perspective is to have a marked difference between the two so that one doesn’t cannibalize the other in the market.

I do think a number update would be welcome, though. The throwback numbers are fine, but they do have that “rec league” style like the Sixers’ numbers, and I think something more stylistically in tune with the curvaceous design of the horns would be welcome. I think a great solution could be as simple as a single color version of the St. Louis numerals, or something tastefully round like Virginia Tech’s numbers.

bdtc4tsvnuqhdqs0lpxe_large.jpg?v=1536252

If I’m putting money on it, though, I don’t expect to see that kind of restraint and more than likely it’s going to be an exercise in overthinking.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Philadelphia Flyers' numbers seem to strike a happy medium between the Rams' old numbers, their new ones, and more traditional block:

WPT1eDC.jpg

Basically I just like that 2.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I honestly don’t think they’ll keep the shoulder horns, and think the reason is it would make the new jersey too similar to the throwback. The general preference from a merchandising perspective is to have a marked difference between the two so that one doesn’t cannibalize the other in the market.

I do think a number update would be welcome, though. The throwback numbers are fine, but they do have that “rec league” style like the Sixers’ numbers, and I think something more stylistically in tune with the curvaceous design of the horns would be welcome. I think a great solution could be as simple as a single color version of the St. Louis numerals, or something tastefully round like Virginia Tech’s numbers.

bdtc4tsvnuqhdqs0lpxe_large.jpg?v=1536252

If I’m putting money on it, though, I don’t expect to see that kind of restraint and more than likely it’s going to be an exercise in overthinking.

That number font fits in line with the font they have been using in the endzones. I wouldn't mind seeing them use it. It's got that old school Hollywood feel to it.

bSLCtu2.png

21 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I'd let it eat cookies in bed.

C2E2AQn.png

Fix the collars, pair those with the current throwback pants, and swap the sleeve/shoulder colors to match the throwbacks. And go with a block font.

Also, I think that we should prepare ourselves for the idea that Nike is going to screw up the horns. There will still be horns, but they will do something bad like make them look more like actual ram horns. Or they'll add white accents or outlines to the horns for no damn reason. As good as that Angelo State helmet looks, there's no way Nike lets them copy a college team which copied them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Two thoughts —

1. Drop the outline on the numbers. It just seems unnecessary to me that contrast beautifully on their own merits.
  2. I’m not sold on the numbers. I kinda like number font @the admiral shared. It feels “modernly old school”

But, I love the direction and feel of it. It feels like “The LA Rams”

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

...there's no way Nike lets them...

You’ve got it reversed. The outfitter might “suggest” ideas, but it’s the team who “lets” the outfitter execute those ideas (if they like them). If the team wants a royal blue helmet or if they want to add a hint of the growth ring detailing like the originals had, then it shall be. If they said not to touch them at all, then they’re going to remain the same. Simple as that.

27709464633_d143e92340_b.jpg

Side note: I think the 60s design below would be a great uniform for the team to start with. Essentially, it’s just a conversion of the sleeve horn into a shoulder stripe and their current home/road pants. Clean, minimal, and modern.

Bringing in gold horns, a gold version of the pants and a blue and gold version of the top (maybe even a tastefully round number set as discussed) would be fit right in with the brief of “a modern version of the 70s/80s/90s throwbacks” and you could also wear it exactly as is in blue and white for a Fearsome Foursome throwback third.

09000d5d82bbc9fc_gallery_600.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

Maybe I missed it but are the Chargers changing anything once they move into the new stadium? I hope so because I can’t stand how busy the bolts are on the jerseys and pants. Also are there plans for some tarps for the stadium😆

Nothings been talked about yet. This didn’t need its own thread though, you could have just asked this in the nfl changes thread.

No. Nothing has been announced or mentioned at all. Just the Rams have announced change for the move to Hollywood Park.

Also, Can a mod move this to the NFL LA branding thread, or lock this?

da0Lbhs.png

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

You’ve got it reversed. The outfitter might “suggest” ideas, but it’s the team who “lets” the outfitter execute those ideas (if they like them). If the team wants a royal blue helmet or if they want to add a hint of the growth ring detailing like the originals had, then it shall be. If they said not to touch them at all, then they’re going to remain the same. Simple as that. 

27709464633_d143e92340_b.jpg

Yes, I know. I was largely being rhetorical. The team makes the ultimate decision. But 1) most teams don't care enough about details to tell Nike to shove it, as the Packers and Panther did; and 2) Nike is going to default to garbage and make the teams push them to tone it down. The above horns aren't are good as the current ones. Colorado Sate used ridged horns before, and they looked okay for them. But considering the Rams have had the same horns for the last 60 years or so, I think they should keep them. Nike is going to default to change the horns just to put their mark on the team. And I think Nike will show them Angelo State's helmet to emphasize "You don't want to do what a small college already did. Let us come up with something that has never been seen before." Hopefully the Rams have enough of a sense of identity to hold strong.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, jgiff17 said:

Maybe I missed it but are the Chargers changing anything once they move into the new stadium? I hope so because I can’t stand how busy the bolts are on the jerseys and pants. Also are there plans for some tarps for the stadium😆

Nothing official but based off the branding they have used in different mediums I think they will go full powder-blue.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, colortv said:

Nothing official but based off the branding they have used in different mediums I think they will go full powder-blue.

Regardless of color they need to bring back the traditional bolt patterns for the shoulders and pants first and foremost.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:35 PM, jgiff17 said:

Tarps have to be in the cards for them given their attendance at Carson. That or they're going to have to learn to cater to the largest away crowds in NFL history. 

As for branding, there's been some suggestion they might abandon the Chargers brand completely once they move into the new venue since it's rightly associated with San Diego and not LA which has clearly hurt them at the box office with the lack of interest from Angelinos. And hasn't helped keep many fans from San Diego. There's little reason to maintain it at this point. 

15 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Tarps have to be in the cards for them given their attendance at Carson. That or they're going to have to learn to cater to the largest away crowds in NFL history. 

As for branding, there's been some suggestion they might abandon the Chargers brand completely once they move into the new venue since it's rightly associated with San Diego and not LA which has clearly hurt them at the box office with the lack of interest from Angelinos. And hasn't helped keep many fans from San Diego. There's little reason to maintain it at this point. 

Nowhere has there been any talk about changing names. Only people that want it changed are a few San diegons that want there beloved chargers back. Spanos wants the name to stay, I don’t even think he wants to go away from navy to powder like people are saying either. 

Archived