Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Things must be really, really bad in Costa Mesa... they resisted this change for how long!?

They probably want to get ready for next year by getting people used to it this year. It also tells me the Rams will use navy for their new primary.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I believe the Chargers got special permission to wear the throwback powder blues against the Raiders in October 2000 and San Diego fans were asking for a switch in primaries ever since. But they kept it a novelty at best.

So of course a desperate ownership waits until a few years into their struggling L.A. move to do it... almost 19 years later.

The Denver Nuggets fit an entire powder blue and yellow primary era into the time Chargers ownership hesitated to own a color scheme that is their birthright.

Then have the nerve to say, "You're welcome." 😀

1 hour ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

I believe the Chargers got special permission to wear the throwback powder blues against the Raiders in October 2000 and San Diego fans were asking for a switch in primaries ever since. But they kept it a novelty at best.

So of course a desperate ownership waits until a few years into their struggling L.A. move to do it... almost 19 years later.

The Denver Nuggets fit an entire powder blue and yellow primary era into the time Chargers ownership hesitated to own a color scheme that is their birthright.

Then have the nerve to say, "You're welcome." 😀

It’s even worse, fans had been clamoring for it in San Diego since 1994 when they first wore them during the 75th anniversary season. 

The Chargers totally botched this in 2010 when they had Reebok produce a re-do of the Powder Blues.

What they should have done was KEEP the throwback version as-is, which was worn in 2009 for AFL-50 Legacy with the block numbers, TV numbers on sleeves, and the numbers on helmets.  Had they done so they would have owned that look.

Instead, the way they redesigned the bolt on the jerseys where it now goes sideways, moved the TV numbers to the shoulders was totally half-ass!  

This is all just yet another bad 'move' by Dean Spanos who is desperate for headlines in a city that DOES NOT want them and I don't see that changing just because they switched to power blue.  The Chargers fans in SD had lobbied heavily ever since NFL-75 in 1994 to go back to the powder blues and the Spanos' declined. Now all of a sudden they decide to do it and it's done poorly just to make some headlines in LA.  

It's quite sad how they've disintegrated what WAS a great 56 year fan-base down in San Diego to one that doesn't exist in LA no matter what color jerseys they choose wear.  

* This is how the Chargers should look 👇🏼

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

AFL Championship Game   👇🏼

26-DEC-1964

War Memorial Stadium

E Buffalo, New York

Bills 20 - Chargers 7

spacer.png

Keith Lincoln (22) Chargers

Butch Byrd (42) Bills

Ron McDole (72) Bills 

14 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I was more referring to the current (well is it old now?) all navy look. That screams thunderstorm imo. Exactly how the chargers should look.

I'd argue though that the Chargers brand was never about lightning storms but rather speed. Having grown up there I can count on one hand the lightning storms I remember. Doesn't really happen there. Thus the dark, ominous lightning storm look/feel isn't consistent with the mascot or city in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I'd argue though that the Chargers brand was never about lightning storms but rather speed. Having grown up there I can count on one hand the lightning storms I remember. Doesn't really happen there. Thus the dark, ominous lightning storm look/feel isn't consistent with the mascot or city in my opinion. 

Your boyfriend is lame, I make it rain on ya

He never make it rain, like Southern California

- Lil' Wayne, Make it Rain (Remix)

Making powder blue the primary is already an upgrade towards being one of the best home uniforms in the league, but the yellow facemask is just an added bonus on top of that. Like others have said, the yellow facemask shouldn’t work with the white in theory, but it’s truly a fantastic look. This is such a welcome surprise!

13 hours ago, logoman said:

And... they still screw it up. This is the worst possible way to do this. There is nothing about this set that is redeemable. Either  S":) or get off the pot.

I don’t get why you say that? Would you rather they rush a redesign and come up with a worse uniform?

46 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

They get their name from the “charger” horses used in battle.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Well they should be focusing on lighting and storms tbh. They rarely use horse imagery. And besides that’s colts territory. I’d go all in thunderstorm if I were them. But by all means I don’t mind the powder blue, it’s beautiful 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I don't necessarily think thunderstorms need to be a key element in the chargers' identity.. the idea of an electric charge certainly evokes certain "electricity"-themed imagery, but doesn't necessarily have to come from a storm cloud.. the dark, cloudy, stormy identity that's tied to the navy-heavy chargers look is a bit drab imo.. bright, colorful, vibrant, "electric" colors suit their identity better imo.. I don't mind keeping navy as trim to help separate colors and elements, but the yellow/gold and "electric" blue look suits them really well.. 

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Your boyfriend is lame, I make it rain on ya

He never make it rain, like Southern California

- Lil' Wayne, Make it Rain (Remix)

Yep - that was on the hit parade back in 1960.

Methinks it could be an homage to this:

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I don’t get why you say that? Would you rather they rush a redesign and come up with a worse uniform?

This is already the worst version of the uniform they’ve worn so far.   Switching the powder blues to primary is great but doesn’t address any of the major problems with the set already laid out on this thread. 

34 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't necessarily think thunderstorms need to be a key element in the chargers' identity.. the idea of an electric charge certainly evokes certain "electricity"-themed imagery, but doesn't necessarily have to come from a storm cloud.. the dark, cloudy, stormy identity that's tied to the navy-heavy chargers look is a bit drab imo.. bright, colorful, vibrant, "electric" colors suit their identity better imo.. I don't mind keeping navy as trim to help separate colors and elements, but the yellow/gold and "electric" blue look suits them really well.. 

These colors combined with a new "electric" logo/stripes would look awesome.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived