Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

I don't know if I have any issues with the Chargers new primary. Navy as an accent is fine (helps avoid white on yellow without adding being redundant with the powder), the font is good, I'm cool with sleeve bolts, and I could go either way on the pants. 

Regardless, this is a great decision to lean into a much more unique look. I also enjoy the use of the horse shield along with the bolt.

The only thing that would really improve this Chargers identity is moving back to San Diego.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Your boyfriend is lame, I make it rain on ya

He never make it rain, like Southern California

- Lil' Wayne, Make it Rain (Remix)

59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yep - that was on the hit parade back in 1960.

Methinks it could be an homage to this:

Great minds . . .

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before

-- Albert Hammond, It Never Rains in Southern Califonia

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

20 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Great minds . . .

Weezy was probably thinking of THIS song

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Great minds . . .

Old minds, I say 🙂

It's where I sit.

20 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Chargers in powder blue is good news, but this set leaves much to be desired

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The light blue is a step in the right direction.

Now just fix the shoulder inserts.

And the bad font.

And the stripe around the pants' bolt.

Agreed, I have a lot of issues with the current implementation. Baby steps I guess. (Though I’m in the royal camp, powder blue is better than navy.)

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

From an article on the Chargers Website:

“In addition, the team will go full time with the gold facemask, wearing it whenever they don the powder, white or royal blue jersey.”

spacer.png

Seems to mean that the Navy Alternate, if it is ever worn, will still have the Navy Facemask.

Article from chargers.com, which includes words from Uni-Watch’s Paul Lukas

da0Lbhs.png

40 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Old minds, I say 🙂

Probably true . . . but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was so caught up in the Tampa Bay Lightning collapsing in extraordinary fashion I didn’t have time to comment on this news. 

I’ve been a Chargers fan for my entire football fandom and I’ve wanted them in powder blue since before I knew this forum existed. So I have a lot to say here. 

First. 

Let’s put the “navy looks more like a thunder storm!” argument to rest. If we can all accept green eagles and navy bears then powder blue for the Chargers is just fine. 

Besides. The team’s identity has never 100% been wrapped up in thunder and lightning. The knight’s charger has always been a part of the team’s identity, one they’ve been re-emphasizing lately. So no need to harp on an authentic “thunder storm” colour scheme if that’s not even the totality of the team’s identity. 

Secondly?

I never wanted it to happen like this, but now that it has? I don’t really mind.

When I said I wanted the Chargers in powder blue I meant the AFL throwbacks. The current set is, as @oldschoolvikings , @Gothamite , and others have said, subpar. The try too hard number font, unnecessary wordmark, the inclusion of two blues, and the weird bolt orientations all make the current set the worst set the Chargers have ever worn, regardless of which jersey they designate as their primaries. 

That being said...the powder blue is a step in the right direction. If this is indicative of a thought process going into a redesign? I like it. At the very least? The powder blues are the best of four bad jerseys. 

Finally?

The mismatched set bugs me, but it could be evidence of a redesign. Sort of like the Rams. Why switch the emphasis from navy to powder on the road whites if there’s going to be an all new set anyway?

Just now, neo_prankster said:

I wonder if there was a way a Tesla coil could be worked into the Chargers' identity.

spacer.png

More charger horses and less hamfisted attempts at electricity imagery please. 

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I don't necessarily think thunderstorms need to be a key element in the chargers' identity.. the idea of an electric charge certainly evokes certain "electricity"-themed imagery, but doesn't necessarily have to come from a storm cloud.. the dark, cloudy, stormy identity that's tied to the navy-heavy chargers look is a bit drab imo.. bright, colorful, vibrant, "electric" colors suit their identity better imo.. I don't mind keeping navy as trim to help separate colors and elements, but the yellow/gold and "electric" blue look suits them really well.. 

Exactly...they went from one of the most bland and uninspiring looks in the league to one of the flashiest. It fits Southern California and LA.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The current set is, as @oldschoolvikings , @Gothamite , and others have said, subpar. The try too hard number font, unnecessary wordmark, the inclusion of two blues, and the weird bolt orientations all make the current set the worst set the Chargers have ever worn, regardless of which jersey they designate as their primaries. 

That being said...the powder blue is a step in the right direction. If this is indicative of a thought process going into a redesign? I like it. At the very least? The powder blues are the best of four bad jerseys. 

I disagree with this. I also disagree with what oldschoolvikings and Mcglinchey23 said. The number font, wordmark, two-fold blue, and bolt orientation make the uniform pop. All four of the jerseys are good.

10 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

The Chargers totally botched this in 2010 when they had Reebok produce a re-do of the Powder Blues.

What they should have done was KEEP the throwback version as-is, which was worn in 2009 for AFL-50 Legacy with the block numbers, TV numbers on sleeves, and the numbers on helmets.  Had they done so they would have owned that look.

Instead, the way they redesigned the bolt on the jerseys where it now goes sideways, moved the TV numbers to the shoulders was totally half-ass!  

This is all just yet another bad 'move' by Dean Spanos who is desperate for headlines in a city that DOES NOT want them and I don't see that changing just because they switched to power blue.  The Chargers fans in SD had lobbied heavily ever since NFL-75 in 1994 to go back to the powder blues and the Spanos' declined. Now all of a sudden they decide to do it and it's done poorly just to make some headlines in LA.  

It's quite sad how they've disintegrated what WAS a great 56 year fan-base down in San Diego to one that doesn't exist in LA no matter what color jerseys they choose wear.  

* This is how the Chargers should look 👇🏼

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unpopular opinion: Those Chargers throwbacks suck.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Unpopular opinion: Those Chargers throwbacks suck.

I "somewhat" agree, at least compared to the current version.

The shoulder bolts on the throwback are too large and outdated looking because of it, and the numbers on the helmet throw off a very clean look for the helmet.

9 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Best Chargers uniform. Don’t come at me. 

spacer.png

This is the correct answer.

While I disagree with Lafarge (the 1961-1965 look is the best look they had up to 1974, and maybe all the way to 1988), I take the point that those uniforms are not the best that they've worn and are over-hyped. Powder blue is a great color, sure. But it's inaccurate, especially for those throwbacks in particular. And with their rebrand in 2007, it just felt so shoe-horned into the overall look. Their current look, regardless of which jersey is primary and what pants they wear or what color the facemasks are, is such a garbled mess of unnecessary detail. Too many strokes on the bolt on the helmet (why? because powder blue had to be in there). Too many strokes on numbers that are too thin. Weird placement of overly-thin bolt/stripes on the shoulders. Unnecessary curve in the pants stripe. It's just overly detailed and muddled. It's almost akin to the fairly common C&C feedback people get on their concepts wherein a logo is too detailed and wouldn't translate well if it was embroidered because the details are too small. The same principle can be applied, to an extent, with the Chargers. I feel like their numbers are hard to read at a distance, and everything having multiple strokes makes everything look slightly faded or "misprinted" (in the same way a label would be printed with multiple colors, but one of the colors wasn't aligned correctly and is therefore offset). I just feel like the Chargers have continued to tinker with their brand since the 1988-2006 look in an effort to 1) try and shoehorn in the powder blue, 2) to modernize its look, and 3) please everyone with hints at just about all of their previous looks. The resulting identity is a watered down mess. And now they're tinkering again by changing the facemask and the home look, while essentially keeping an away look based on an entirely different shade of blue. It just seems so illogical from an aesthetics standpoint.

Archived