Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

This is what I'd propose... Two of the most favorite looks in the Chargers' history:

- White over yellow from the Fouts era

- Power Blue (all time favorite)

I get that it's not as consistent as typical NFL uniforms but think it would be a great look. And, if I'm not mistaken, they could do this immediately since the pants aren't part of the 5 year rule, correct?

Chargers2019.jpg

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see this working. Granted, I'm someone who is not bothered by the Giants' blue-at-home, red-on-the-road difference between home and away. Both of these uniforms work on their own. And they're obviously related, as far as the design goes. So I'd say go for it, with either the white or gold pants.

With that said, I think if they'd simply update their away look to match the home, that would be ideal:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I could see this working. Granted, I'm someone who is not bothered by the Giants' blue-at-home, red-on-the-road difference between home and away. Both of these uniforms work on their own. And they're obviously related, as far as the design goes. So I'd say go for it, with either the white or gold pants.

With that said, I think if they'd simply update their away look to match the home, that would be ideal:

spacer.png

Oddly enough, the Broncos have made this same phenomenon their standard procedure for much of their history (orange at home, blue on the road), and the Texans have done it their entire existence (navy at home, red on the road - similar to the Giants).. yet neither team gets hate like the Giants do for it

The Broncos' and Texans' white jerseys make the secondary color the primary color and the primary the secondary. The Giants' white dispenses with their primary color altogether.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The Giants also use a totally different template on the road. 

It's exactly the same apart from sleeve stripes.. same number font, same number locations, same chest logo, both use single-color numbers on a solid color base.. "totally different template" is a bit of a stretch..

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Broncos' and Texans' white jerseys make the secondary color the primary color and the primary the secondary. The Giants' white dispenses with their primary color altogether.

It's a very historically relevant look for the Giants.. and since they use single-color details, it's hard to incorporate other colors..

I actually really like that these teams showcase their secondary color in this way.. it keeps them from being a boring one-color kinda team.. the only change I'd make with the Giants is keep the blue socks on the road

21 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's exactly the same apart from sleeve stripes.. same number font, same number locations, same chest logo, both use single-color numbers on a solid color base.. "totally different template" is a bit of a stretch..

But sleeve stripes are pretty essential to the design of most football uniforms, so I’d say it’s definitely fair to call if a totally different template. 

37 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's a very historically relevant look for the Giants.. and since they use single-color details, it's hard to incorporate other colors..

I actually really like that these teams showcase their secondary color in this way.. it keeps them from being a boring one-color kinda team.. the only change I'd make with the Giants is keep the blue socks on the road

That’s like saying a side panel doesn’t matter on a basketball jersey. Sleeve stripes are probably the easiest identifier when it comes to football uniforms.

6 hours ago, jn8 said:

But sleeve stripes are pretty essential to the design of most football uniforms, so I’d say it’s definitely fair to call if a totally different template. 

6 hours ago, dont care said:

That’s like saying a side panel doesn’t matter on a basketball jersey. Sleeve stripes are probably the easiest identifier when it comes to football uniforms.

But they are literally the exact same template (Nike Vapor Untouchable), so the point stands either way.. but they can have shoulder stripes/loops, shoulder crescent inserts (Texans), sleeve stripes, cuff stripes, sleeve logo, shoulder logo, sleeve number, shoulder number, other unique sleeve/shoulder design (Rams horns), chest/sleeve stripes (Seahawks/Browns), sleeve contrast color, shoulder yoke, etc.. so the difference in sleeve stripe is not the de facto identifier.. 

The fact that the Giants choose to put an extra pop of team color onto their white jerseys while letting their team color home jerseys stand without it is not some wild design choice.. and with a simple, traditional, throwback northwestern stripe being the sole difference between the two jerseys, they're similar enough to be ok in my book..

It's interesting how much hate the Giants get, while the Vikings mismatched templates is largely beloved around here..

15 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

But they are literally the exact same template (Nike Vapor Untouchable), so the point stands either way..

This wasn’t even close to what was being discussed, but okay. We’re talking about the team’s jersey style as a whole being a “template.” Such as the Broncos’ home and toad uniforms being a simple color swap on the same “template” while the Giants’ have different “templates” for the home and road jerseys 

16 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

but they can have shoulder stripes/loops, shoulder crescent inserts (Texans), sleeve stripes, cuff stripes, sleeve logo, shoulder logo, sleeve number, shoulder number, other unique sleeve/shoulder design (Rams horns), chest/sleeve stripes (Seahawks/Browns), sleeve contrast color, shoulder yoke, etc.. so the difference in sleeve stripe is not the de facto identifier.. 

The fact that the Giants choose to put an extra pop of team color onto their white jerseys while letting their team color home jerseys stand without it is not some wild design choice.. and with a simple, traditional, throwback northwestern stripe being the sole difference between the two jerseys, they're similar enough to be ok in my book..

Of course stripes aren’t the only identifier, but in the case of the Giants, they are a key one. Them having the stripes on one jersey while not on the other is a pretty big difference, especially when the dominant color isn’t present on the opposite jersey. 

24 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's interesting how much hate the Giants get, while the Vikings mismatched templates is largely beloved around here..

Just for clarity, I don’t hate the Giants’ mismatch, nor do I hate the Vikings’. But from my perspective, the reason why they have differing opinions is color balance. The Vikings used both purple and gold on both jerseys, but the Giants use only one color per jersey.

34 minutes ago, jn8 said:

This wasn’t even close to what was being discussed, but okay. We’re talking about the team’s jersey style as a whole being a “template.” Such as the Broncos’ home and toad uniforms being a simple color swap on the same “template” while the Giants’ have different “templates” for the home and road jerseys 

Of course stripes aren’t the only identifier, but in the case of the Giants, they are a key one. Them having the stripes on one jersey while not on the other is a pretty big difference, especially when the dominant color isn’t present on the opposite jersey. 

Just for clarity, I don’t hate the Giants’ mismatch, nor do I hate the Vikings’. But from my perspective, the reason why they have differing opinions is color balance. The Vikings used both purple and gold on both jerseys, but the Giants use only one color per jersey.

I've never turned on a Giants game and not known immediately that it was the Giants.. 

And as far as "color balance" is concerned, I prefer to take the uniform as a whole to judge color balance. The Giants have good color balance imo.. helmet is mostly blue, with a little grey, white, and red.. jersey is mostly white with a little red, and pants are grey with a little blue and red.. so, of the 4 colors featured on their uniforms, each color is the base of an entire uniform element - except for red.. so they at least gave red a nice supporting role as the numbers/stripes color for the white jersey.. that's literally about as much balance as one could ask for..

Archived