Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How are the Packers throwbacks affected by the one-helmet rule?  The originals used plain gold helmets too. 

I agree, but can only presume that they don’t think enough people notice the green to bother swapping all the facemasks. 

My bad. I was thinking of these. Forgot they switched.

76532_49ers_packers_football.jpg

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, this idea that the NFL would tell teams they can have a second helmet strictly for throwback purposes, and nothing more would ever happen is ridiculous. It's just some weird fantasy that only exists in the minds of members of this board... a world where a corporation would give that kind of nuanced thought to aesthetics over finances. What if they did, and the second helmet gave teams a bump in marketing, an extra mention on ESPN, something? What, teams that have always worn the same color shell just get left out?  Some pushy billionaire just sits on the sidelines and doesn't elbow his way in? No chance.

Don't kid yourself... A second helmet for anybody opens the floodgates. There's zero question about it.

It was the rule before. So there's precedent. It's not wishful thinking we made up in our heads, otherwise I'd agree with the slippery slope stuff.

But that rule was before the NFL required teams to adopt alternate uniforms.  The league is very, very different now.  

I don’t think there’s any doubt at all that the rule which prohibited the Seahawks from having two helmets would have been repealed or revised to accommodate Color Rush lids.   And there’s the slippery slope. 

21 minutes ago, colortv said:

It's pro sports, very little is actually "necessary".

Is it necessary to the Steelers' brand? Does it improve the brand in any measurable way? Is the Steelers' brand expanded positively by wearing a gold helmet twice a year?

33 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There should not be alternates in football. Not enough dates.

There shouldn't be NFL football on Thursdays either, but they both exist for the same empty reasons.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There should not be alternates in football. Not enough dates.

How about a compromise? Teams can have one alternate jersey and it can be worn a maximum of two games, regular season only.🙃

On 8/22/2019 at 9:09 AM, Old School Fool said:

I believe the Seahawks tried to wear a silver helmet for road games in 2002 and the NFL shot it down. I don't buy that the NFL would allow alternate helmets outside of throwbacks or color rush because they're pretty hard headed about the overall brand of the league. Even if they did allow alternate helmets, I think there would be regulations on how it's done. It would probably be like hats in MLB.

That was almost 2 decades ago, since each team was only allowed 1 throwback or alternate jersey and allowed to wear them just 2 times and not allowed to wear them after we 10. Now ever team can have an alternate, and color rush and a throwback can wear them up to 4 times any time they want. To really believe if the one helmet rule was never put into effect they wouldn’t have allowed alternate helmets you’d be mistaken. 

Archived