Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

*cough* is it an unpopular opinion that this is a better logo, because I’m tempted to believe it is *cough*

It should be an unpopular opinion. It is very bad. It looks fussy and wobbly compared to the clean straight lines of the Dodgers' monogram, and with red Tuscan lettering on a navy crown, it's just yet another thing the original Angels ganked from the Red Sox.

Good news on the Chargers front. Now if angry fans can harangue them into moving back to San Diego we'll really be talking.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Demoff to the Athletic:

“Our goal has always been to take the historical elements of the Rams uniforms — the colors, the horns, the symbolism — (and) keep those but progress them forward,” Demoff said. “You’re building the most modern and what we believe will be the world’s best sports and entertainment district at SoFi Stadium. You’re investing in all these technological aspects, these futuristic aspects. You can’t just walk in with uniforms that throw back to the 1970s. I just don’t think that that’s the right brand fit for the Rams or this stadium.

“But that doesn’t mean you turn completely away from it and you turn into this aqua and brown and green mismatch and say, ‘Here you go Los Angeles.’ It’s a balancing act between the two. We’ve had great partnerships the last year and a half who have done that and helped us with balancing that. We’ve done about 15 focus groups this offseason with fans talking about what they wanted to see in the uniforms, what they liked, what they didn’t like. From there, we put it all in the lab, and we’ll see how it all turns out.”

VmWIn6B.png

You'd think they've realized that they don't need to change a thing from their royal/yellow LA set. Very popular. Why risk coming up with a new look that isn't better. All that will happen is that a majority of the fans will still wear the old royal/yellow and continue to clamor for a return to those. 

6 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

You'd think they've realized that they don't need to change a thing from their royal/yellow LA set. Very popular. Why risk coming up with a new look that isn't better. All that will happen is that a majority of the fans will still wear the old royal/yellow and continue to clamor for a return to those. 

I'm pretty sure the thought will be that people will shell out new money for the new jerseys, while the Rams will still have the ability to sell the old jersey as a throwback.  Which is true.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

I’m sure they understand that, but I’m also sure that they understand it’s the easy way out. I don’t want to call it lazy, but it’s definitely expected and it’s not a very creative approach to the task at hand. I think going straight throwback is essentially settling for something imperfect; they’d simply be resting on their nostalgia laurels instead of actively trying to accomplish the goal of building the best brand possible. I also don’t think it accomplishes much in the way of revenue or media strategy since they’re already wearing that uniform a half dozen times every year.

With that said, it’s obviously very easy for this process to go off the rails, and that’s the most frustrating fact to reconcile. Freshening up the Rams is, in theory, a very easy project simply because they have such great pieces to start with. You just have to know when to stop.

Unfortunately, that’s easier said than done in the sportswear industry. 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 9/20/2019 at 4:23 PM, andrewharrington said:

Freshening up the Rams is, in theory, a very easy project simply because they have such great pieces to start with. You just have to know when to stop.

Agreed.

One simple change to the existing royal/yellow (and the color rush) would be to use a single blue stripe on the yellow pants (basically what they have now on the white pants). Other than that, I'm not sure what I would change as changing would only be for change's sake, not for the better. 

Rams.jpg

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Agreed.

One simple change to the existing royal/yellow (and the color rush) would be to use a single blue stripe on the yellow pants (basically what they have now on the white pants). Other than that, I'm not sure what I would change as changing would only be for change's sake, not for the better. 

Rams.jpg

This and make the NOB blue as well. This would be a fantastic alternate

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Agreed.

Rams.jpg

The pant stripe is the main thing. The simpler design does wonders.

I’d also look at changing the shoulder insert to something simpler, like the one that USC or New England use, or even just a single loop like they use on their St. Louis jerseys. The way they have to seam together the horn, and subsequently how it gets stretched and pulled at every little stress point makes it look like butt. I’m especially intrigued by the Patriots’ shoulder insert because it’s thick in the front and tapers at the back like the helmet graphic, but because it’s not a full horn, it complements the helmet graphic rather than competing with it.

I also wouldn’t be afraid to play with the numbers. Their classic style is unique to them, but it still has that “rec league” vibe and I think they could do better in pursuit of building a complete contemporary brand. Even something as simple as a single-color version of their St. Louis numbers would work well here.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

43 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’d also look at changing the shoulder insert to something simpler, like the one that USC or New England use, or even just a single loop like they use on their St. Louis jerseys. The way they have to seam together the horn, and subsequently how it gets stretched and pulled at every little stress point makes it look like butt. I’m especially intrigued by the Patriots’ shoulder insert because it’s thick in the front and tapers at the back like the helmet graphic, but because it’s not a full horn, it complements the helmet graphic rather than competing with it.

Agreed.  

The shoulder horns are also stupid for the same reason that the helmet horns are the best decal on any football team anywhere; rams have horns on their heads but not their shoulders, and the Rams should follow suit. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  

The shoulder horns are also stupid for the same reason that the helmet horns are the best decal on any football team anywhere; rams have horns on their heads but not their shoulders, and the Rams should follow suit. 

*Hides away the Dickerson Project files, concerning the genetic modification of Ovis canadensis to include more horns.*

But yeah, USC/Houston Texans-style shoulder inserts are a better option.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

*Hides away the Dickerson Project files, concerning the genetic modification of Ovis canadensis to include more horns.*

But yeah, USC/Houston Texans-style shoulder inserts are a better option.

I'm willing to speculate that the rams royal and yellow jerseys were derived from the usc or texans template...I am also disappointed at how much smaller the sc crescent inserts have become since the caroll era....feels like they are about 1/2 the size of what they used to be.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  

Good point but I guess I'd argue the horns on the shoulders could be a herd of rams charging. All in all I'd agree with you but there is a little part of me that sees merit in the shoulder horns. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, hawk36 said:

Good point but I guess I'd argue the horns on the shoulders could be a herd of rams charging. All in all I'd agree with you but there is a little part of me that sees merit in the shoulder horns. 

If you want to look at a herd just look at them on the line before the play.

Archived