Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's plenty of white to balance out the pants stripe, when you look at the uniform as a whole.

I completely disagree but that's just my opinion.

What I think it the better argument for removing the white pant stripe is that no where else on the uniform do stripes/horns have outlines. They are just solid yellow. Thus, my brand consistency argument would be that the pant stripe as well should be a single, solid color. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

From a merchandise perspective alone, I don’t know how a team could get away with introducing a color scheme that has just one non-white color now. Blue and white (and ONLY blue and white) just seems so limiting.

I think it's actually easier now than it would have been in the past, given the vast amount of non-team-color merchandise teams sell.

I understand why the white inner stripe on the old pants seems out of place to some people. From a strict consistency standpoint, it definitely stands out, but honestly for whatever reason, it never bothered me. One reason, I think is the the white inner stripe pulls the road uniform together so well, and it's such an amazing road uniform...

spacer.png

I don't know, it just never bothered me...

spacer.png

I think a classic football uniform can never go wrong with dark/light/dark brasier stripes. (Do I have to pay Gothamite to use the term "brasier stripe?)

And as a side note, how awesome does this helmet look with a gray mask?

spacer.pngspacer.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It might not be part of the conscious design, but it sure ends up being part of the uniform.

It's why I hate the white horns - they get lost and muddied among all the white on the current helmets.

898097674-los-angeles-rams-v-tennessee-t

When the design was first introduced, helmets didn't have all that noise all over them; chin straps were simpler, helmets didn't have bumpers or all that visible white padding, they were paired with a contrasting mask, and the white horns were allowed to stand out better.

Fearsome-Foursome-NFL-Football-03.jpg'

But in today's environment?  Has to be gold.

I think it's doable with a blue facemask, but the white facemask (along with all the straps) makes it very muddled, I agree. Plus I prefer the gold anyway.

Both of my favorite football teams have no logo on their helmet. I love it in part because I never have to get annoyed by the way the straps are always blocking part of the logo nowadays.

45 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I understand why the white inner stripe on the old pants seems out of place to some people. From a strict consistency standpoint, it definitely stands out, but honestly for whatever reason, it never bothered me. One reason, I think is the the white inner stripe pulls the road uniform together so well, and it's such an amazing road uniform...

spacer.png

As a kid I LOVED the white jersey look for the Rams while really disliking the blue jersey set. Never knew why until I got to college and started learning more about design. That said, I think the white set may look just as good with a single, solid, blue stripe. Maybe not. 

5 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

From a merchandise perspective alone, I don’t know how a team could get away with introducing a color scheme that has just one non-white color now. Blue and white (and ONLY blue and white) just seems so limiting.

Not that merchandising should dictate identity, but two colors work fine on for the handful of classic teams and colleges that do it. I suppose you could interpret it as limiting, but it’s also understandable, manageable, efficient, focused, etc. It’s basically fool-proof when your identity is that simple, which goes a long way when you’re relying on others to execute your brand properly on licensed merchandise.

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

As a kid I LOVED the white jersey look for the Rams while really disliking the blue jersey set. Never knew why until I got to college and started learning more about design. That said, I think the white set may look just as good with a single, solid, blue stripe. Maybe not. 

I think it would look great.

The classic stripe works better on the road uniform than the home uniform, but I don’t think it “pulls it together” by any means. The stripe may have white in it, but it’s still stylistically at odds with the thick shoulder loops and helmet horns, and that’s a much bigger issue for me than a pair of road pants having no white (which doesn’t bother me at all). A solid blue pant stripe, on the other hand, coordinates perfectly with those two main elements.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think a classic football uniform can never go wrong with dark/light/dark brasier stripes. (Do I have to pay Gothamite to use the term "brasier stripe?)

And as a side note, how awesome does this helmet look with a gray mask?

spacer.pngspacer.png

likely grasping at straws here, but why not. The pants stripe on the white set matches the white jersey. Yellow (pant shall, outer parm), blue (inner stripe/beginning of horns) white(jersey mody/middle) and the reverse

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Not at all - it’s released into the world for everyone to use.  And I appreciate it when you do.  😛

But you do have to spell “Dad” Braisher’s name correctly. 😉

Gerald “Dad” Braisher was the longtime equipment manager for the Packers.  He had a hand in designing the classic Lombardi-era uniform, which introduced the color/white/color stripe pattern to the NFL.

I thought he needed more recognition for his influence. 

spacer.png

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/local-icon-helped-create-teams-g-logo-r9964g5-199268221.html

So, total aside from the discussion of LA NFL branding for a second: Are Braisher stripes "officially defined" as being color-white-color, where white has to be in the center? Or would any three stripes of equal width with no space in between be considered Braisher stripes? Take the traditional Browns, for instance. The helmet stripes are unequivocally Braisher stripes as defined: brown-white-brown. But the pants stripes are orange-brown-orange. It's the same general feel, but the center stripe isn't white.

Another example: did the previous version of the Jets have Braisher stripes on the helmet and white pants? Or, were those just double stripes with a space in between? 

15 hours ago, DiePerske said:

likely grasping at straws here, but why not. The pants stripe on the white set matches the white jersey. Yellow (pant shall, outer parm), blue (inner stripe/beginning of horns) white(jersey mody/middle) and the reverse

The colors match, but the scale of the stripes is way off compared to the shoulder loops and the helmet horns, which is why it looks odd. It’s too complex for a uniform in which all the other design elements are thick, bold, and a single color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ted Cunningham said:

So, total aside from the discussion of LA NFL branding for a second: Are Braisher stripes "officially defined" as being color-white-color, where white has to be in the center? Or would any three stripes of equal width with no space in between be considered Braisher stripes? Take the traditional Browns, for instance. The helmet stripes are unequivocally Braisher stripes as defined: brown-white-brown. But the pants stripes are orange-brown-orange. It's the same general feel, but the center stripe isn't white.

I tend to view white as an essential component.  It’s what defines stripes like the Cowboys, Packers and 49ers.   But maybe others disagree. 

Another example: did the previous version of the Jets have Braisher stripes on the helmet and white pants? Or, were those just double stripes with a space in between? 

Yes, the Jets’ classic uniforms absolutely had Braisher stripes.  The pants and helmets happened to be white, but the color/white/color pattern was unmistakeable. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I tend to view white as an essential component.  It’s what defines stripes like the Cowboys, Packers and 49ers.   But maybe others disagree. 

Yes, the Jets’ classic uniforms absolutely had Braisher stripes.  The pants and helmets happened to be white, but the color/white/color pattern was unmistakeable. 

Interesting. So, Gothamite, for your definition to work, it has to be a light color helmet or pants (white, yellow,  gold, silver) and the stripe goes dark/white/dark. I always thought of that classic football stripe (well before you gave it a name) as any three same-size stripes, as long as the center stripe is significantly lighter than the outer two stripes.  So the Bears current pants stripe definitely count, as would the traditional stripes the Vikings wore for most of their existance. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Not that it means anything, but the Rams announced a massive sale, 60-75% off of everything but the royal jerseys for the next three days. 

To be fair, the throwbacks can always be sold...they wont be dated.  

So you don't have to wade through Reddit:

I’ve got info on the new Rams uniforms coming this spring!

The new colors are a new, deeper, richer navy, a darker golder yellow, and white. The new Logo is a side view of a ram horn that abstractly looks like an LA.

The helmet is the new navy with a matte finish that features thicker horns in the new yellow with a shiny finish.

Home jerseys are navy with yellow numbers. Yellow horns line the collar and swoop around the shoulders.

Away jerseys are white with navy numbers, yellow sleeves and navy horns.

Alternates are yellow with navy numbers and navy horns.

There are three sets of pants, navy with a yellow stripe, yellow with a navy stripe, and white with a navy stripe. All can be worn interchangeably.

My favorite combos are definitely navy on navy and navy on yellow, and white on yellow, and yellow on yellow. I expect mixed reviews and a lot of people to say the look like Michigan, but I think it’s a solid, solid look for the team.

Archived