Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:
On 3/8/2020 at 7:58 AM, Gothamite said:

Nah, the Chargers should just :censored: back off to San Diego. 

Sure, let's move from a brand new stadium [to which they will draw no one] in a market of 18.7 million people [where they have no fans, and where they are far less popular than the Rams and the Raiders, as well as every visiting opponent] back to a dilapidated 53 year-old stadium [which they can reliably fill] in a market of 3.3 million people [where they are beloved and are the unquestioned most popular team].

[Amendments mine.]

The Chargers should definitely do that. What's more, they will do it.

The league will not put up for very long with the constant bad publicity associated with the ongoing embarrassment of the Chargers in Los Angeles. The other owners will pressure Spanos to sell; and the new owner will bring the Chargers back to San Diego, where they will be welcomed.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

[Amendments mine.]

The league will not put up with the constant bad publicity associated with the ongoing embarrassment of the Chargers in Los Angeles for very long. The other owners will pressure Spanos to sell; and the new owner will bring the Chargers back to San Diego, where they will be welcomed.

It's been explained to you time again why that will not happen, yet you continue to turn your back on all logic.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

[Amendments mine.]

The league will not put up with the constant bad publicity associated with the ongoing embarrassment of the Chargers in Los Angeles for very long. The other owners will pressure Spanos to sell; and the new owner will bring the Chargers back to San Diego, where they will be welcomed.

The chargers aren’t beloved in San Diego anymore, not until Spanos sells the team, and they completely cut all ties from him and any idea he ever had out of the organization.

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

I dunno, that style horn on the helmet might look cool. It depends on how they do the rest of the uniform. The logo itself is kinda boring but I don't hate it nearly as much as some of you do.

I can see the croissant comparison sticking around.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

The chargers aren’t beloved in San Diego anymore, not until Spanos sells the team . . .

Which is why that is precisely what is going to happen.

7 minutes ago, colortv said:

It's been explained to you time again why that will not happen, yet you continue to turn your back on all logic.

A new owner could agree to a stadium deal that Spanos would have rejected (such as paying for it himself); and the team can play at Jack Murphy until the new stadium is built.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I dunno, that style horn on the helmet might look cool. It depends on how they do the rest of the uniform. The logo itself is kinda boring but I don't hate it nearly as much as some of you do.

I can see the croissant comparison sticking around.

The major issue is it’s a much closer to a Chargers logo than a Rams logo. Huge fail. 

I think the logo is fine. I like the new horn, although I wish it curved a bit more under like the old horn. The main issue I have is the coloring of it on that hat. I see navy, Royal blue, white, and electric yellow?

It looks like it’s made to look like a neon sign. Maybe that’s part of some neon series of league hats. I need to see it flat in its real colors.

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Which is why that is precisely what is going to happen.

A new owner could agree to a stadium deal that Spanos would have rejected (such as paying for it himself); and the team can play at Jack Murphy until the new stadium is built.

I don't think you have any understanding of the real world finances involved here.

1.  No one is going leave two essentially free 20 year leases at a state of the art stadium in the second biggest market in the country to spend 2-3 billion dollars on a stadium in a smaller market which is a weak football market as is.

2. The Spanos family is not selling, and the NFL can't force them to.

Yes, the NFL in its obsession with money and popularity is going let the Chargers move back to San Diego, reducing the Chargers potential fanbase from 20 million people to 3 million(roughly speaking) where a publicly funded stadium will never happen.

The Chargers will never be able to build a fanbase? Tell that to the Clippers who for 30 years were the biggest joke in sports run by the worst ownership ever.

There's a reason the Jets, Mets, White Sox etc. have never left despite being the secondary teams.

The league and owners(who control the league) will never "force" a team to leave a larger market for a smaller market for the dangerous precedent it would set...for themselves. 

You're ignoring the social, political, and most importantly economic facts of the situation.

That's just not the way the real world works, especially not with the NFL in the 21st century.

In an area with 20 million people, that supports 2 pro basketball teams, 3 baseball teams, 2 hockey teams, 2 soccer teams, which was able to support THREE NFL teams 30 years ago(before 2 terrible owners forced their way out of the area), in addition to countless minor and secondary teams, the Chargers won't be able to carve out a fanbase(Counting what they will retain from San Diego) and fill a stadium 8 times a year, got it.

No team is going to make more money being a San Diego team than it will an LA team, it's like saying water isn't wet.

I mean, that's the whole reason the Chargers moved in the first place..

I'm going to repeat what I said in the Angels thread.

The Chargers basically have a market from the Mexican border in the south to Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

20 million people.

With a brand new stadium being likened to the Death Star.

With the NFL's TV contact, and everything else that comes with being an NFL team.

They will not "fail".

People care about the Clippers, and they were run by the worst owner in history and the biggest joke in sports for 30 years.

This isn't a Clippers/Lakers thing, where you've got the most glamorous franchise in the league and the biggest joke in the league sharing the city for decades.

The Rams have history, but 20 years is a long time for people to forget things and they were never as successful as the Lakers.

That's not even factoring the whole "People can have an NFC team and an AFC team" thing.

You've got two basketball teams , two hockey teams, two baseball teams, hell 2 soccer teams all with good fanbases.

Chargers just need time.

People are judging a move which should be analyzed over decades based on 2 years.

Does it matter? As long as the money is green it doesn't make a difference to the bottom line.

The Chargers accountants aren't sitting there going, "Mr. Spanos, we looked at the books. Even though we've sold out our season tickets even with them being astronomically priced due to the size of Stubhub, it's a total disaster because not as high a proportion of Chargers fans bought tickets".

Building a fanbase takes time.

If anything, that should tell us that there are probably enough fans of every NFL team in the market to help sell plenty of tickets to fans of opposing teams for the 8 home games a year. They won't be paying with monopoly money.

Now for the Clippers. The Chargers aren't the Clippers for the reasons I outlined previously but let's say for argument's sake they are.

Let's say you guys are right, and I concede that the Chargers are destined to be the football equivalent of the Clippers.

That means they are destined to:

1. Be one of the 10 most valuable franchises in the league, and one of the most profitable.

2. Have a reliable fan base and move plenty of merchandise.

3. Be a team who is perennially top 10 in attendance in their good years and still fill over 90% capacity in their down years(looking at the last decade or so)

4. Stay in the market and begin planning their own stadium.

If that's the logic being applied here for the Chargers having a good chance of LEAVING, then I'd say merely being condescending is quite generous.

So between the hundreds of millions they would likely lose(NFL G-4 loan for the LA stadium, LA relocation fee, moving costs to LA then San Antonio, overall money invested in LA) plus funding for a stadium in San Antonio when one is being built in LA etc. they would do all that in order to move from the 2nd largest market to the 25th?

Makes sense.

Archived