OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

1 hour ago, Sport said:

The plot thickens

1200px-Angelo_State_University_logo.svg.

That's the logo for Angelo State University. So either that leak is not legit or someone at the NFL office jacked a D2 college's logo for the goddamn Los Angeles Rams, which wouldn't surprise me based on the subpar creative they've been pumping out over the last few years. 

naw mate, thats lifted right off the LA / StL Rams helmet. i see what you mean by the beginning of the "spiral" off the U, but in this case, its really ASU that should get a cease and desist 

I am too old for this. 

I really don't want the Rams to use any gradients or double shades of blue. They never look quite right on an actual person. 

As a broader issue, the "We need to modernize to differentiate ourselves from past eras" program rarely works out. Usually it just winds up being gimmicky without really adding something to the broader uniform language. 

Love them or hate them, the Seahawks are one of the few teams I've ever seen pull this off because the pattern striping and the use of the shoulder elements were feature that actually stuck around. 

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

naw mate, thats lifted right off the LA / StL Rams helmet. i see what you mean by the beginning of the "spiral" off the U, but in this case, its really ASU that should get a cease and desist 

That curved blue part on top gives it some dimensionality, presents the horn at a 3/4 angle as opposed to the Rams' horn which is in profile, separates it enough from the Rams to not be a direct lift and it's clear they took the steps necessary to ensure that they weren't just ripping off the Rams helmet. But even if it was directly stolen from the Rams, that doesn't excuse the Rams for using something so similar in construction.

At best, it's an example of parallel thinking, but I think ASU's executes the concept far better. 

On 3/7/2020 at 10:33 PM, Jeffery said:

What it may look like:

BfQcjdT.png

Every time I look at this, I expect James Bond to walk into frame:

spacer.png

Typically, logos grow on me the more I look at them. It has been the opposite with this. At first I was like, "Well, it's not awful. The horn is a little funky though." Now, however, I see the huge mistake that this logo was. My only hope is that they didn't change the helmet horns.

In anticipating a bad uniform, let's not forget that there seems to be a trend of fixing these things five years later.

5 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

My only hope is that they didn't change the helmet horns.

I'd agree aesthetically, but as a brand it would be an even bigger mistake to not make the helmet horns match the logo horns. Would be an even bigger indictment on the designers. 

The only thing I can speculate on is that the rumor of gradients might be that the three horn segments might be different colors to create a fade effect but that there won't be a traditional, 90s-style "gradient."

Then again, only having a fake neon photo of a hat in awful lighting doesn't help at all to figure out what's really happening here.

Guys. The logo we've seen is a neon version of the mark. We don't even know with certainty that the actual logo will have segmented horns like that. 

Just chill and hold tight. 

Chris said that there were multiple shades of yellow and a gradient on the real logo. Could we actually see something like this? In which case, my opinion of the logo changes drastically!

3ci8fYI.png

EDIT: It appears that while I was designing this, everyone had the same thought as me.

3 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Chris said that there were multiple shades of yellow and a gradient on the real logo. Could we actually see something like this? In which case, my opinion of the logo changes drastically!

3ci8fYI.png

That's a very interesting improvement. I still don't like it overall but hate it less that way. 

2 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

3ci8fYI.png

EDIT: It appears that while I was designing this, everyone had the same thought as me.

In my heart of hearts, I'd like to think this is more what we're gonna get with a relatively classic-ish uniform, but considering that Big 4 executives routinely botch uniform and branding overhauls, maybe we're all just jerking off before the hurricane hits.

24 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

3ci8fYI.png

That version does combine three eras (white horns, yellow horns, metallic gold horns)...

26 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

3ci8fYI.png

In which case...

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

Somebody mock up a helmet, quick! 

Oops, there it is

Edited by rjrrzube
Late to the show by seconds

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In which case...

spacer.png

So in a couple years there will be a new thread about how the Rams are going back to a traditional design, and they'll just dial all the :censored: back into what they should've worn in the first place.  Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

So in a couple years there will be a new thread about how the Rams are going back to a traditional design, and they'll just dial all the :censored: back into what they should've worn in the first place.  Gotcha.

You can take the Rams out of Cleveland but you can't take the Cleveland out of the Rams.

5 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Oh yeah, we all know it's gonna happen. Watch for a Titans redesign too and maybe the Jets

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In which case...

spacer.png

I'd guess option B makes the most sense here, as it would have highlights/shadows where they should be. 

Anyone else feeling like they could be trying to tie in all 3 eras here? White horns, athletic gold horns, and metallic gold horns... 

ramshelmets-3117.jpg