Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I think I’m losing my mind. Everyone seems to hate this so much, but I... I actually sort of really like it. 

:ducks:!

Same. I don’t see the Chargers bolt, I don’t see Trump’s wig, etc. I just see a modern take on the horn. Maybe we just have issues.

59 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Not a fan of gradients.

On a glossy helmet it might work.  Multicolored horn seems like a gimmick to shoehorn all.the colors.anyway anyway...but I think if it were to work it would be as a real gradient.

33 minutes ago, colortv said:

Just a hunch at this point after doing some research, but this may be a fake/troll job.

Want to share that research?

I'm looking for anything to believe in at this point.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, JLJ said:

Same. I don’t see the Chargers bolt, I don’t see Trump’s wig, etc. I just see a modern take on the horn. Maybe we just have issues.

Is it bad that I don't feel an ounce of negative emotion? That logo isn't offensive at all, and yeah, I actually give it a 8/10. It's 2020. Whether some like it or not, certain teams are going in new directions.

3 hours ago, chakfu said:

What if it were a full gradient from white to athletic to metallic?

thats what i was thinking, albeit in white>metalllic>gold order. I was waiting for someone to post a gradient mockup but nobody did so i had to do it myself.

JPfbdo8.jpg

not good

6 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Honestly though, I don't really agree with a lot of these critiques from a typographical standpoint.  An L and and an A should not be parallel on an oblique font because they're not when they're straight (unless you're using an alt A from ITC Avant Garde).  Plus, this person has never heard of an inktrap, because that's why all the inside angles go thinner.  Also, there is no rule on where a crossbar of an A has to line up; I'm perfectly fine with a low crossbar.  Especially in this application, where a higher crossbar would muddy up the A at small applications.

The issue with this logo isn't the use of Helvetica to mimic the LRAAMS wordmark.  The issue is a ram horn made out of crescents, which got stylized to look more like a Chargers logo than a Rams logo.  It's very clear that this is a secondary logo, at least I sincerely hope it is.  And I hope it has the same fate as the Chargers' brief LA secondary logo because that's exactly the quality of this logo.

Thank you. The fact that this person didn’t even bother to check the authenticity of the image is the first red flag, but most of those notes are “flaws” that can only be pointed out with a ruler and compass, which is not the way to critique type. Critiquing type like that is usually a good indicator that someone doesn’t quite grasp the art of optical correction yet. Granted, I think a couple of those areas could be adjusted, but not for the reasons or in the ways they been pointed out there.

The bottom line is this can’t be properly critiqued until there’s a real version out there that’s colored up properly. Until then, it’s like passing judgment on a Monet painting when all you’ve seen is a grayscale photocopy from your art history textbook.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Possibly non-sports fans who do whatever for just another paycheck.

Possible, but extremely unlikely. Leagues, sports branding agencies, and sportswear brands get hundreds, if not thousands of applicants for open jobs (especially design jobs) because there aren’t many openings and it’s a small, competitive industry at every level. People aren’t doing this type of specialized work for just another paycheck.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I keep looking at the photoshopped helmet. 

I thought I hated it. 

Now I kinda like it. 

I like this . . . but only for the Lisa Bonet video.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, colortv said:

Just a hunch at this point after doing some research, but this may be a fake/troll job.

People say this after every bad logo leaks (more on Twitter/Reddit than here, but apparently here too). Has there ever been a time a team or rogue fan deliberately planted a fake that wasn't an obvious and playful joke?

It's ridiculous to suggest someone is out there manufacturing a fake hat with a fake logo embroidered on it for the purpose of... tricking some people for a few weeks until the real logo is unveiled?

I'm gonna hold off judgement until at least seeing a full-color version of the logo. I don't think it is really that bad as a secondary logo, but it does lack some personality needed for a primary logo.  I think there's potential for a brand off of this. It seems like the biggest problem is the horn not being one piece but having notches, or whatever. We'll see where they go with it

14 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I think I’m losing my mind. Everyone seems to hate this so much, but I... I actually sort of really like it. 

:ducks:!

Youre not the only one....and its only a portion of the entire identity.  Lets wait until we see it all to judge, but I like this direction too.

...and I dont see the Chargers connection at all.

17 hours ago, kw11333 said:

This once great franchise is a mess. STL played with LA colors for a number of years and won a super bowl, and while in LA, they went to the super bowl wearing the STL colors. And now they are messing with the oldest helmet logo in football?

Why?

We don't know that they are.  That's just speculation at this point.

Archived