Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

16 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The Rams had a very simple task.  Emulate, to the degree possible given uniform cuts, what they had before they moved. I'm starting to think they're going to buffaslug it.

The Buffaslug was an all-new design, though.  

The Rams are going to Brewers this - instead of doing the right thing in bringing back an old look, they'll redesign it instead, ruining it in the process.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent the logo to a number of friends who are casual or non football fans yet still stay informed and the general response was the Logo is "amateurish"  and " man the Chargers are grasping at straws in LA." one person knew it was the Rams and overall 7/9 didn't like it.🤓

#DTWD #GoJaguars

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Buffaslug was an all-new design, though. 

The Rams are going to Brewers this - instead of doing the right thing in bringing back an old look, they'll redesign it instead, ruining it in the process.

What a coincidence it is that the Brewers old look was royal and athletic gold, then was updated to navy and Vegas gold, and updated again, but this time, to navy and athletic gold. I'm almost positive this will be the same route that the Rams will take with their colors.

5 minutes ago, JayMac said:

What a coincidence it is that the Brewers old look was royal and athletic gold, then was updated to navy and Vegas gold, and updated again, but this time, to navy and athletic gold. I'm almost positive this will be the same route that the Rams will take with their colors.

As am I.

They'll screw up the logos and darken the colors.  Brewers-ing it all the way.

I'm not a huge fan of the "just bring back the old look" for the most part. I like updated nods to the past. The Blue Jay's did it right. Slight upgrades to a great look of the past.

I hope this ends up being a slightly modified and updated look

2 minutes ago, dbofox said:

I'm not a huge fan of the "just bring back the old look" for the most part. I like updated nods to the past. The Blue Jay's did it right. Slight upgrades to a great look of the past.

Fair enough.  I just don't have a lot of confidence that they'll be able to exercise that level of restraint.

I expect much more Brewers than Blue Jays to come out of this.

3 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

People say this after every bad logo leaks (more on Twitter/Reddit than here, but apparently here too). Has there ever been a time a team or rogue fan deliberately planted a fake that wasn't an obvious and playful joke?

It's ridiculous to suggest someone is out there manufacturing a fake hat with a fake logo embroidered on it for the purpose of... tricking some people for a few weeks until the real logo is unveiled?

We have a  picture of demhoff wearing a fake hat, so it’s not ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Fair enough.  I just don't have a lot of confidence that they'll be able to exercise that level of restraint.

I expect much more Brewers than Blue Jays to come out of this.

You're saying that as if the Brewers have a bad uniform. It may not be personally satisfying to you, but their uniforms are actually very nice.

7 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

You're saying that as if the Brewers have a bad uniform. It may not be personally satisfying to you, but their uniforms are actually very nice.

Yeah, I agree with this.

We've agreed to disagree on the relaunched BiG logo, but the Brewers uniforms represent, in my mind, a significant upgrade. I'd think Rams fans would be happy to have a similar outcome.

3 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

This is subjective, it's all opinion. It's obvious Goth doesn't think the Brewers' new look is "very nice."  

4 hours ago, dbofox said:

I'm not a huge fan of this attitude, if I'm being honest 😐

The goal should be for a team to look its best. That should encourage a wide range of options, to ensure the best look/direction is chosen. Sometimes? The best option is in the past. Yes, the Blue Jays proved you can update an older look properly, but they are not the only team to have tried. Other teams have as well, and have fallen on their faces. 

A more apt example for the Rams would be the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers' best look is the Gretzky-era uniform. By far. And they even came to their senses and went back to it for a few years! But then they mucked it up again, by promoting orange to primary status and making the royal blue navy. Now what they have is ok but not as good as it could be, and you're just left with the lingering question of why they don't just go back to their superior earlier look. 

In short, this desire to "never go backwards" seems misguided to me. Wear your best look. If it's what you wore forty years ago? Ok. So be it. 

12 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

It's 2020. Whether some like it or not, certain teams are going in new directions.

You mean like how the Bills went in a new direction in 2002? Or the Vikings in 2006? Or the Jaguars in 2013? Or the Bucs in 2014? Or the Browns in 2015?

Sensing a pattern? Oftentimes when a team tries to reinvent the wheel they revert to the classic identity. Is this a case of buyers' remorse, realization that the new direction hasn't resonated with fans, or planned obsolescence to milk some more merchandizing dollars out of fanbases? Probably a combination of all three, but the point remains. The established looks always re-assert themselves. 

Now I'm holding off on calling doom and gloom for the Rams. All we've seen is a neon-stylized version of the logo. I don't even think it's a given that we'll see segmented horns like so many people are suggesting. I'm willing to wait and see what the actual primary will look like, and what the updated identity looks like before rushing to judgements. 

What I am saying, however, is that trendy "new directions" are often fleeting whereas classic identities have staying power. 

3 hours ago, MMorgan11 said:

Image result for nfl 2020 draft hats

I don't know if this helps, but it looks like it will be the primary.

this is likely the 2019 logo suite. we're expecting changes to at least the Rams head, Bucs, and Falcons logos, no?

it could have been a cool idea had they built a simplified version of the logos that would actually work in neon, which would actually work on apparel. i dont know how you just apply a stroke of color to all the linework and say that any of those work, outside of a handful like IND, NO, HOU, GB. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived