Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ~Bear said:

spacer.png

A 2-minute fix makes a the logo miles better IMO. I can live with the separated horns and a gradient. At least the gradient makes it look a lot less like a new Chargers logo. If there is a gradient, I don't know how you could take the horn into the other side of the A a la the earlier mock-ups without the logo looking even more awkward. 

Is there any real basis for this shade of blue/purple?  I don't think they should match the Lakers like this.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why blame the designers?  They work with what the clients give them.

They get the blame insofar as they had way too much time to do this and they and the Rams overthought stuff like crazy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

15 minutes ago, rams80 said:

They get the blame insofar as they had way too much time to do this and they and the Rams overthought stuff like crazy.

Unfortunately, I've learned in my years in the business as a designer/business owner that some time you just have to bite the bullet, take your money, and give the client what they want. In those cases though I at least voice my concern over the end design in writing so it's on record before it's handed off. And, the design never sees the light of day in my portfolio.  

26 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Unfortunately, I've learned in my years in the business as a designer/business owner that some time you just have to bite the bullet, take your money, and give the client what they want. In those cases though I at least voice my concern over the end design in writing so it's on record before it's handed off. And, the design never sees the light of day in my portfolio.  

Not to get this too far off the rails, but i worked with a sponsor designing an ad board. This dude wanted to squeeze every bit of info he could get on there. He was like "Doesn't that look sick???" and I was like "...yeahhhh..that's exactly what you wanted.."

19 minutes ago, schultzcore said:

Needs Jared Goff going in the trash can too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, chakfu said:

Is there any real basis for this shade of blue/purple?  I don't think they should match the Lakers like this.

Interestingly the same image looks Lakers purple on desktop and Jazz navy on smartphone.

7 hours ago, chakfu said:

What is this? Brownie the elf, old Rams logo labeled Chargers, Chargers bolt labeled Rams...

Say, why do the Bengals get away with a B when then Browns B in ball was panned? Both are ok.  What other teams get away with mascot initials? More common in Baseball. A's O's Angels.  Briefly Indians. I remember as a kid initially not knowing A's was short for Athletics.  88 Topps just said A's on top

Clevejacked!

The A's are the only one IMO that get the official pass.. and largely because it's not an initial so much as a nickname of the team's nickname - although it did get its start as an initial, but evolved slightly away from the nickname initial situation, and also because that's how they're known.. people don't call the Dodgers "the D's", or the Braves "the B's".. but the Athletics are commonly called "the A's".. similar with the Orioles, although as an Orioles fan, I hate it.. at this point, that  realm is solely A's territory.. I feel like the O's are just copying the A's in terms of hat logo, even though they are one of the very few other teams referred to in that manner.. still not a good reason to put it on a cap though.. and as for the Indians "I" cap, that was nothing short of an abomination, and they were right to ditch it.. 

Monograms should be reserved solely for location, not nicknames.. the Bengals are in the wrong here with their trash B logo

I still don't dislike it. It's not great, and I can see how it looks like a Chargers logo on first impression, but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen. It's really up to the uniforms now. I think if the Rams come out with at the very least decent uniforms the logo hate will die down a bit.

6 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The A's are the only one IMO that get the official pass.. and largely because it's not an initial so much as a nickname of the team's nickname - although it did get its start as an initial, but evolved slightly away from the nickname initial situation, and also because that's how they're known.. people don't call the Dodgers "the D's", or the Braves "the B's".. but the Athletics are commonly called "the A's".. similar with the Orioles, although as an Orioles fan, I hate it.. at this point, that  realm is solely A's territory.. I feel like the O's are just copying the A's in terms of hat logo, even though they are one of the very few other teams referred to in that manner.. still not a good reason to put it on a cap though.. and as for the Indians "I" cap, that was nothing short of an abomination, and they were right to ditch it.. 

Monograms should be reserved solely for location, not nicknames.. the Bengals are in the wrong here with their trash B logo

As a fellow Orioles fan, I will second this . . .and also the bolded part at the bottom.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 hours ago, Jeffery said:

I just hope the horn curls all the way in on the actual helmet.

how would that new logo work on other side of helmet (mirrored)?

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

27 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

As a fellow Orioles fan, I will second this . . .and also the bolded part at the bottom.

our Orioles farm team went Charlotte O's for many years.  i wasn't a fan of.  give me the classic swinging bird (or crowned!) logo everyday.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

15 hours ago, chakfu said:

Say, why do the Bengals get away with a B when then Browns B in ball was panned? Both are ok.  What other teams get away with mascot initials? More common in Baseball. A's O's Angels.  Briefly Indians. I remember as a kid initially not knowing A's was short for Athletics.  88 Topps just said A's on top

Clevejacked!

I hate when people assume that just because every instance of something isn't referenced, that means that it's OK.  The Bengals B is almost universally panned around here - and for very good reason.  I'm' not sure where you're getting your data from, but I'd like to see the numbers.

O's is absolutely stupid.  Angels at least has a lot of history behind it (doesn't mean it wasn't stupid at first), and fits in with their brand strategy of being "The Angels" first and foremost (plus the halo works perfectly with an A.)  Indians I is stupid as f.  

The A's get a pass since they've had the A for a century, give or take a few seasons.  A is far better than A's, but to me, they're the exception. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I hate when people assume that just because every instance of something isn't referenced, that means that it's OK.  The Bengals B is almost universally panned around here - and for very good reason.  I'm' not sure where you're getting your data from, but I'd like to see the numbers.

It must be a recall bias on my part.  Because the Browns are discussed much more and I remember the discussion more as a Browns fan.

I was going to say the Bengals logo wouldn't work on a C, but with a thick stroke it might. Old Canucks stick and rink- and coincidentally there's another example of mascot monogram!

11 hours ago, chakfu said:

9 hours ago, chakfu said:

Interestingly the same image looks Lakers purple on desktop and Jazz navy on smartphone.

It looks dark royal blue on my phone. 

Archived