Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mafiaman said:

The 1980’s and early 1990’s were my high school and college years, so I am familiar with Jim McMahon.  I did not recall those bolt-less pants though.  Paired with white socks, even MORE hideous. 

I remember those pants stripes (and McMahon... one of my all-time favorite Eagles... though I forgot he played for the Chargers) but always assumed that it was just for a game or two because maybe something happened to the regular pants so they had to wear their practice ones or find generic ones at the last minute.  Didn't recall it being a full season... of course back then, with the exception of the SB year,  it's not like I was able to see anything about the Chargers more than once or twice a season.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I know we're all staring at the bolt-less pants here, justifiably. But can we give a moment of attention to that facemask that's a few rungs away from going to his knees. How did that thing not crush his larynx every time he looked down? I know that longer facemask style was popular among quartersbacks and a handful of running backs and defensive backs in the '80s and '90s —Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, Steve DeBerg, Ronnie Lott, Ottis Anderson — but I don't recall it looking as huge as it does in this picture. 

What's really weird is that he doesn't have his visor.  He had some kind of eye condition and had to wear a visor.  

0002682_jim-mcmahon-of-the-eagles.jpeg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I remember those pants stripes (and McMahon... one of my all-time favorite Eagles... though I forgot he played for the Chargers) but always assumed that it was just for a game or two because maybe something happened to the regular pants so they had to wear their practice ones or find generic ones at the last minute.  Didn't recall it being a full season... of course back then, with the exception of the SB year,  it's not like I was able to see anything about the Chargers more than once or twice a season.

What's really weird is that he doesn't have his visor.  He had some kind of eye condition and had to wear a visor.  

0002682_jim-mcmahon-of-the-eagles.jpeg

As kids, we all have athletes that we gravitate to and like for no apparent reason.  Jim McMahon on the Eagles was mine!!! I ended up rooting for him everywhere he went, and to this day, when I'm playing sports I play #9.  I just thought he looked like a super hero on this SI cover, haha. Had it in my room and everything, so this was a welcome sight when I logged on this morning.  Jimmy Mac was the man!

21 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Let’s not forget this one. 
spacer.png

That was an underrated classic. Only worn for one season but a precursor to the 90's style. Bolt design was consistent across all backgrounds: gold bolt outlined in navy then white. Double bonus because the numbers on the home jersey followed the same pattern. 

10 hours ago, mafiaman said:

The 1980’s and early 1990’s were my high school and college years, so I am familiar with Jim McMahon.  I did not recall those bolt-less pants though.  Paired with white socks, even MORE hideous. 

I figured everyone knew who it was. Just wanted to have some fun with the overall absurdity of the situation. 

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

I stand corrected. Looks like the visor situation started at some point in SD.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I remember, McMahon suffered an eye injury as a kid that left him with light sensitivity.  That’s why he wore sunglasses pretty much all the time. 

He didn’t wear a visor with the Bears because tinted visors weren’t a thing until 1988, his last season in Chicago.  Don’t know if that was a rule thing or a manufacturer thing, but Randall McDaniel in 1988 is believed to be the first player to have worn one. 

spacer.png

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/randall-mcdaniel-s-helmet/

Not surprising that McMahon would be an early adopter with his new team.  Especially playing in Southern California.  Maybe by checking the Getty Images site we could find out exactly when he started. 

2 hours ago, kutztown said:

As kids, we all have athletes that we gravitate to and like for no apparent reason.  Jim McMahon on the Eagles was mine!!! I ended up rooting for him everywhere he went, and to this day, when I'm playing sports I play #9.  I just thought he looked like a super hero on this SI cover, haha. Had it in my room and everything, so this was a welcome sight when I logged on this morning.  Jimmy Mac was the man!

I was a huge fan of McMahon because I used to hear my parents tell me stories of his legendary play at BYU. I'm just old enough to vaguely remember Steve Young as BYU's QB, but McMahon at BYU was just a little before my cognition.

38 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That was an underrated classic. Only worn for one season but a precursor to the 90's style. Bolt design was consistent across all backgrounds: gold bolt outlined in navy then white. Double bonus because the numbers on the home jersey followed the same pattern. 

Yep. These are my favorite Chargers set. Gold bolts, gold numbers, white pants. Nice, clean, consistent look, with gold still playing a significant role (less than the previous gold pants sets, but more than the subsequent gold bolts/white numbers and white bolts/white numbers sets).

spacer.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

A Look At The Los Angeles Rams’ Logo History

March 23, 2020 - 15:57 PM

After months of speculation, misdirection and leaks, the Los Angeles Rams are finally set to unveil their new logo and color scheme this afternoon. So with that, we’ve decided to take a look back at the Rams’ logo history, which […]

Read More...

1 hour ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

A Look At The Los Angeles Rams’ Logo History

March 23, 2020 - 15:57 PM

After months of speculation, misdirection and leaks, the Los Angeles Rams are finally set to unveil their new logo and color scheme this afternoon. So with that, we’ve decided to take a look back at the Rams’ logo history, which […]

Read More...

This is really something that has played out over years.

Archived