Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

"California Raiders" is pretty dumb.

That being said -- and listen, you f-ckers , you screwheads, if you even think of saying "Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland" or vice versa, I will get my stabbing knife and prepare for war -- if there's a new stadium on the way and they have to get out of the Oakland Coliseum in the meantime, I wouldn't mind it if the Raiders played one preseason game and one regular-season game in Los Angeles for a few years while playing the rest of the slate in Santa Clara or Berkeley or up my mom's ass or whatever they end up. I don't think this L.A. Chargers thing is gonna happen, and any stadium the Raiders get in the East Bay is going to fall well short of 70,000-seat palace, so maybe the best way to have two teams in Los Angeles and address the unavoidable reality of SoCal Raider Nation is to give 'em a game or two for a while.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be this guy, but I think people rooting for the switch back to the traditional LA jerseys will be disappointed. Color scheme MAYbe. But this is LA, Nike's currently running things, and the old uni's are a tad clunky. So even if they revert to the old colors I would expect a style change-up.

4 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

This would never fly with the NFL -- but, I could see it working with the Raiders. Why not split games among LA, San Diego and Oakland (or Santa Clara). Four games in San Diego, 2-3 in Santa Clara and 1-2 in LA (when they play the Chargers and/or Rams). Then stick with San Diego for the playoffs. 

I like the idea, but like I said -- never going to happen. 

Would make more sense for them to simply become The Raiders. They have a nationwide following anyway so drop the city name altogether.

In regards to the Rams and Chargers similar colors, I think they could exist as is. Here's how I view their color breakdowns.

• Rams: Navy blue (primary), Gold (secondary), white (accent)
  • Chargers: Navy blue (primary), white (secondary), yellow (tertiary), powder blue (accent) *navy and powder blue flipped for their alternate unis*

Both teams currently have the same primary color. However their secondary and accent/tertiary colors are pretty much reversed. I don't think anybody would ever confuse the Rams and Chargers for each other. Even the Chargers' previous uniforms (Seau era) look distinctly different from the 2000-present Rams.

If both teams end up changing back to their classic colors later on they would only further separate their looks from each other.

• Rams: Royal blue (primary), yellow (secondary), white (likely accent)
  • Chargers: Powder blue (primary), white (secondary), yellow (accent), navy blue (likely accent)

While I'd prefer for the Chargers to remain in San Diego (and Raiders to remain in Oakland), I'd think they would be okay sharing LA as far as uniforms and branding goes. They'd have to go out their way to intentionally look like each other. Just my 2 cents on it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

"California Raiders" is pretty dumb.

That being said -- and listen, you f-ckers , you screwheads, if you even think of saying "Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland" or vice versa, I will get my stabbing knife and prepare for war -- if there's a new stadium on the way and they have to get out of the Oakland Coliseum in the meantime, I wouldn't mind it if the Raiders played one preseason game and one regular-season game in Los Angeles for a few years while playing the rest of the slate in Santa Clara or Berkeley or up my mom's ass or whatever they end up. I don't think this L.A. Chargers thing is gonna happen, and any stadium the Raiders get in the East Bay is going to fall well short of 70,000-seat palace, so maybe the best way to have two teams in Los Angeles and address the unavoidable reality of SoCal Raider Nation is to give 'em a game or two for a while.

Couldn't help myself...

LAChargers.jpg

they're trying to have their cake and eat it too... i still wouldn't be surprised if they did change for this upcoming season.. at least colors - if not more... the status quo is to deny, deny, deny, until  you're ready to announce something.. they're playing on the old LA scheme, current StL scheme, and all the hopeful/probable future LA schemes, all at the same time and trying to capitalize on all of it until they're completely ready to make some moves... at least that's how it looks to me

34 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The Rams' branding has been weird and muddy. They aren't changing colors but they tweet this: 

Confusing. 

50 seasons . . . and it only took them 70 years to do it.  Congratulations.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As for the uniforms, color scheme, etc., it definitely seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/24/2016 at 6:37 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Nope.  That would diminish the perfect color balance of the road uniform.

I've always had no issue with the white stripe being out of place on the home uniform. Sure, technically it is... so what?  Being a slave to by-the-numbers consistency is no way to live.  And, Braiser stripes (right Goth?) on a football uniform are like bringing home a pizza... never ever a bad idea.

The problem with the pant stripes is actually two-fold. One, yes, it doesn't work having white in the stripe of the home uniform. But, two, it also is a striping motif unseen anywhere else on the set. The overall look has one, solid, bold stripe (horn) on the helmet and jersey. Thus, I'd prefer they keep that consistent.

RamPant.jpg

Archived