Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I believe this is the first full NFL team rebrand since the Buccaneers and Broncos in 1997. Yes, it's been that long.

What about the Titans in 1999?

- - - 

Also, can somebody do a quick Photoshop of the ram head logo with the yellow eye but with the fully yellow horn?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, cbrock126 said:

a small thing, but this has been bugging me quite a bit. I'm okay with the "L" and "A" not having parallel lines, I understand how "LA" looks when italicized. however, shouldn't the italicized A's have consistent parallel lines in a wordmark? maybe it's just me.

spacer.png

I can't get over how inconsistent that M is. It changes angles halfway through

spacer.png

All they really had to do was just take the existing logo and give it the new colors; I get what they were going for by rebranding the team, but the new ram head just looks outdated on arrival, and the R in Rams makes a far better starting point for a horn in the wordmark then the A of LA does.

And obviously it's beating a rotten horse's corpse at this point, but goddamn that LA logo is way too similar in execution to Angelo State for me to not think that was used as "inspiration"; it even has the separations between the bits of the horn. I wouldn't be shocked if there was stuff "inspired" by ASU in the uniforms, as well.

59 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Full as in it's not just recreating something that already existed previously. Every team has just done some upgraded version of a logo that already existed. The Bucs and Broncos actually put out totally new designs altogether.

Tennessee Titans 1999

41 minutes ago, Jt0323 said:

2013 Miami Dolphins was a complete Rebrand 

Since the term has been abused ad infinitum and 100% subjective, the only true rebrand mentioned the bucs where they made a drastic departure and attempt to disassociate from their previous/original incarnation outside of some thin orange lines. The fins redesign was basically a bland modernization of their historic identity so not a rebrand. A good rule of thumb is to think of a football uniform and logos as the packaging or livery of the product...while an important component it's not the brand in totality.

Is there even a point of NFL teams adopting secondary logos? They usually don't use anything besides their primary mark (and helmet logos in certain instances). There was a time where a couple of them had "full-bodied" variants of their logos in the late 90's/early 00's (Bengals, Panthers, Broncos, etc.), but those weren't used often I believe. The only teams I can think of right now that has one in use are the Bucs and Bears.

17 minutes ago, colortv said:

The Rams are getting hammered all over social media for the primary, I wonder if it will last.

Apparently the ram head hats are sold out but the LA monogram hats are still available. Seems very apparent what mark the fans prefer.

Well, a-lot to unpack here. Colors, I am pretty shocked they didn't go navy & yellow but quite happy with the outcome. I'm alright with the Ram logo still not as good as previous but a nice modernization of the OG you could say loosely. The LA is disappointing as we already had seen but surprisingly I really like the Blue LA w/yellow horn outlined in white. that's pretty sharp of a bad set imo, but that being said I fear the worst for the uniforms. 😬

#DTWD #GoJaguars

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

but the new ram head just looks outdated on arrival

They seemed to be implying the purpose was to modernize the old ram head logo from the 1980s and earlier. So I think the "new old" look is deliberate. I don't think it's a great logo, but I do like it more than the primary.

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

the old logos were disconnected, they wanted a connection between the logos

What does that even mean? That they didn't have a gradient that matched with the helmet, numbers, and pants?

The St. Louis ram head matched the horn on the helmet pretty damn well if that's what he's referring too. If he's talking about how they had the blue and white logo despite wearing the blue and yellow home jerseys then not only do they have themselves to blame for that awful move, but that's also an abysmal excuse to change logos and botch what should've been the easiest redesign in the past 20 years.

2 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

That's even more digital alarm clock than the bucs. Please no. 

"We wanted to pay homage to the long tradition of LA radio shows with AM/FM tuner numbers,
the Rams are what we want everyone to be talking about during the hustle and bustle of LA traffic."

Archived