Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Wordmark:

2020-larams-mark.jpg

Meh.  

I don't hate this logo like the ram-head trainwreck...and would probably actually love it it the shadows and gradients were dropped.

That said:  I can't stop seeing a crescent moon in this logo.  That, or is it trying to say L-A-C?  It's distracting.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

I don't hate this logo like the ram-head trainwreck...and would probably actually love it it the shadows and gradients were dropped.

That said:  I can't stop seeing a crescent moon in this logo.  That, or is it trying to say L-A-C?  It's distracting.

That's the first thing I noticed...the horn looks like a moon, and you just can't unsee that.

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

They seemed to be implying the purpose was to modernize the old ram head logo from the 1980s and earlier. So I think the "new old" look is deliberate. I don't think it's a great logo, but I do like it more than the primary.

If that's the intent, they did a real :censored: job of it. It looks like some half-assed digitization, not a modernized logo.

2 minutes ago, dcameronh said:

This layout they posted just makes me think that middle horn is what will be on the helmets. :(

Annotation_2020_03_23_121045.jpg

I continue to have recurring minor "waking nightmares" that they're actually going to put the LA primary logo on a blue helmet.

Yeah I'm fairly sure that's the horn we'll see on the helmet. 

The talk about the spiral and the ocean wave is typical nonsense. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, JayMac said:

I'm not a betting man but I'd be pretty confident to put my plummeting 401k on the line for some action on that gradient horn being on the helmet.

They'll probably also have some dumb-looking custom number font "designed to evoke the sharpness and power of the horns of a ram" or something that also has a gradient on it. I have to imagine there might be gradients on the uniform, too, if the primary brand has one.

Something that needs to be mentioned is the way gradients look on football uniforms: bad

Gradients have had some success in soccer and hockey but they're tricky to pull of because invariably you have a change in material. The old Canucks alternates don't look terrible because the gradient material is limited to the one piece of equipment that can adjust: the sweater. 

If the Rams have tried to apply a gradient to different elements of a football uniform: acrylic helmet stickers, stretch mesh jersey material, elastic pants material, twill number fabric, that could be disastrous. 

Football is already struggling to match colors in increasingly specialized materials. This could be bad. 

3 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

No the Thunder are definitely better than the Rams, but not by much

That's saying a 3-day-old piece of :censored: is better then a fresh piece of :censored:, though. Either way, both are pieces of :censored:.

8 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I really think people need to chill on the logo. Is it great? No, but it's better than what it's replacing and probably not even the worst in the NFL. The Browns and Jets are much worse. 

The former logo was better. All they had to do was re-color it 

11 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I really think people need to chill on the logo. Is it great? No, but it's better than what it's replacing and probably not even the worst in the NFL. The Browns and Jets are much worse. 

The Browns' helmet does hold up better as a brand identity then this does, at least to me; it's at least consistent. The Jets' logo is from 1966, so it also has a very different aesthetic to it and that works for their brand.

The Rams' identity is a mishmash of various conflicting ideas; it has gradients, modern typefaces and a ram head that looks poorly-digitized and cleaned rather then freshly-designed; it's like they didn't even know what brand direction to go besides "bring back royal blue and yellow" and just said ":censored: it, do all of it". Plus it looks suspiciously like Angelo State's logo.

It's being widely-derided for a good reason; it's a bad set that either intentionally copied from a college or is hilariously easy to see as a Chargers rebrand.

16 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How many fonts match the angle of the initial stroke of a capital L and A?  Why should they do it here?

Good point. I played around with different fonts in Word and most don't have the initial stroke of those two aligning perfectly. 

Archived