Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, MDGP said:

They don't. People on here regularly criticize the Bengals logo for being a B.

Well, that and the Bengal head it replaced having been a superior mark.

Like many of the rest of you, I'm led to one conclusion...when the old ram head looks more modern than the new one, and the latter is paired with gradient, it's clear to me the Rams overthought this.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Alot of people acting like the Chargers suddenly own the design of a spiral or something which is hilarious, their logo is a damn lightning bolt, does anybody know what a lightning bolt is?

The Chargers sure don't.  Lightning bolts don't curve like that.  That's partly why I hate it. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

54 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

I've noticed long ago that most "ram" logos are more bighorn sheep than ram. At least the new LA logo is actually a ram. 

'Ram' is a generic term for any adult male sheep. Bighorn sheep are type of sheep. Male bighorn sheep = ram.

Male sheep = ram. Female sheep = ewe. Baby sheep = lamb.

I'll bet against gradient numbers based on the NFL Rule Book. Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Item 3 (I kid you not).

Numerals. Numerals on the back and front of jerseys as specified under NFL rules for the player’s specific position. Such numerals must be a minimum of 8 inches high and 4 inches wide, and their color must be in sharp contrast with the color of the jersey. Smaller numerals should be worn on the tops of the shoulders or upper arms of the jersey. Small numerals on the back of the helmet or on the uniform pants are optional.

Emphasis mine. I don't see a gradient, even white to yellow to gold, as being in sharp contrast with royal blue.

It's where I sit.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Was this pointed out?  Per Uni Watch, the horn was deliberately designed to fit Fibonacci's golden spiral:

LA_Logo_Ratio_1080x600.gif

No wonder I like it.

Somebody was listening to a lot of TOOL.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

8 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'll bet against gradient numbers based on the NFL Rule Book. Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3, Item 3 (I kid you not).

Numerals. Numerals on the back and front of jerseys as specified under NFL rules for the player’s specific position. Such numerals must be a minimum of 8 inches high and 4 inches wide, and their color must be in sharp contrast with the color of the jersey. Smaller numerals should be worn on the tops of the shoulders or upper arms of the jersey. Small numerals on the back of the helmet or on the uniform pants are optional.

Emphasis mine. I don't see a gradient, even white to yellow to gold, as being in sharp contrast with royal blue.

I'd say white and yellow are both in sharp contrast with royal blue. The gradiant doesn't include blue. 

I mean the Colts have white numbers on royalish blue, and the contrast is pretty stark. The Rams throwbacks have yellow/gold numbers on royal blue jerseys. If both white numbers and yellow/gold numbers on a royal jersey abide by the rule, then a gradiant wouldn't change it.

I really hope they don't go with gradiant numbers. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't give a fart about the golden ratio if the image placed inside of it doesn't look good and isn't well-executed. Logo-gridding is kind of a joke among logo designers now because it became a hacky thing to do. 

There's dozens of examples of perfectly gridded logos and logos that follow the golden ratio that look like ASS. This Rams logo included. There's dozens of examples of logos that follow none of those rules and look great.

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If they go with gradient numbers I’d think they’d look more like this:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The more I look at the logo, the more I see the Chargers comparison is weak. Yes, the Draft hat itself looked like a Chargers hat because we couldn't identify what team the logo belonged to and the logo had a neon treatment. Outside of that, this is nothing like a Chargers logo. Alot of people acting like the Chargers suddenly own the design of a spiral or something which is hilarious, their logo is a damn lightning bolt, does anybody know what a lightning bolt is?

Also the Angelo State comparison is stupid too. They're using the old Rams horn so if anyone should be pointing fingers it should be at ASU and not the Rams. Yeah, I'll admit the curve part is a bit weird but I don't see anybody trademarking curves in design.

You know where Angelo State's logo comes from? The Rams! It's not even their idea!

Magazine_Hock_Rams.jpg

👏👏👏

17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'd say white and yellow are both in sharp contrast with royal blue. The gradiant doesn't include blue. 

I mean the Colts have white numbers on royalish blue, and the contrast is pretty stark. The Rams throwbacks have yellow/gold numbers on royal blue jerseys. If both white numbers and yellow/gold numbers on a royal jersey abide by the rule, then a gradiant wouldn't change it.

I really hope they don't go with gradiant numbers. 

My hope is that, since gradients aren't designed to offer contrast but to blend, that the NFL wouldn't allow it.

I may be grasping at straws, but that's how I am interpreting the Rule Book.

It's where I sit.

Archived