Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The more I look at the logo, the more I see the Chargers comparison is weak. Yes, the Draft hat itself looked like a Chargers hat because we couldn't identify what team the logo belonged to and the logo had a neon treatment. Outside of that, this is nothing like a Chargers logo. Alot of people acting like the Chargers suddenly own the design of a spiral or something which is hilarious, their logo is a damn lightning bolt, does anybody know what a lightning bolt is?

Also the Angelo State comparison is stupid too. They're using the old Rams horn so if anyone should be pointing fingers it should be at ASU and not the Rams. Yeah, I'll admit the curve part is a bit weird but I don't see anybody trademarking curves in design.

You know where Angelo State's logo comes from? The Rams! It's not even their idea!

Magazine_Hock_Rams.jpg

This weight horn... I think the new logo lends itself to a heavier horn like this one. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Was this pointed out?  Per Uni Watch, the horn was deliberately designed to fit Fibonacci's golden spiral:

LA_Logo_Ratio_1080x600.gif

No wonder I like it.

Eh, seems like a pretentious flourish to be honest. Like something a designer came up with to impress peers rather than a logo that would work for a top flight team. 

I mean it's cool I guess, but it doesn't overcome the inherent conceptual problems I have with the overall logo. 

Can't say I agree with the huge praise of the Chargers' new logo. It's not bad, but it looks like someone just took the old logo and stretched it out in Photoshop. The new wordmark is also quite plain compared to the old one. Ultimately this feels like change for the sake of change.

And of course, switching back to powder blue full-time is a petty move that surely was motivated by crapping all over their old fanbase. The Spanos family never misses a chance to show how tonedeaf they are.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

14 minutes ago, QCS said:

Yeah, sure.

That said, good lord did the Chargers nail it. Navy is gone, the bolt looks so much better, the new font is incredible (aside from that stupid bolt on the A), and I actually think incorporating an emoji is pretty clever, as long as that thing stays on social media only. Overall, I'd give this basically a 10/10, such a perfect upgrade.

Both the Chargers and Rams did a great job, in my opinion. The Chargers were for sure better as a consensus, but the Rams did something new and I think it worked really well. Both teams in blue and yellow make those colors and LA football synonymous, even while they're clearly distinct. I really like both of these, and I can't wait to see the uniforms and how these look on the field.

All of this. I'm from SoCal and I love having football in Los Angeles. The more I look at the Rams logo, the more I like it. It's really slick and if you squint hard enough, you can see the Gateway Arch. A node to their St. Louis days. But I love that both teams are in blue and yellow but totally distinct from each other. Both teams I feel did a great job overall. 

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Eh, seems like a pretentious flourish to be honest. Like something a designer came up with to impress peers rather than a logo that would work for a top flight team. 

I mean it's cool I guess, but it doesn't overcome the inherent conceptual problems I have with the overall logo. 

I've actually seen this a lot, people show that they've created it "to match the golden ratio" but the lines of the logo don't actually match up. A telltale sign is generally that thickass line weight for the overlay which, lo and behold, is featured in this very example that hides a lot. I guarantee, you make that overlay a 1pt outline, it'll look a lot less aligned than it currently does.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, @FormerLurker, what says you of the "purple-like" jersey?

Between "the Chiefs are getting new unis" and "the Chargers are going with a blue that's almost purple" claims? We can discard @FormerLurker like we did TheSoundOfThrowingPennies or whatever his name was. 

:censored:ing Reddit trolls...

26 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Can't say I agree with the huge praise of the Chargers' new logo. It's not bad, but it looks like someone just took the old logo and stretched it out in Photoshop. The new wordmark is also quite plain compared to the old one. Ultimately this feels like change for the sake of change.

And of course, switching back to powder blue full-time is a petty move that surely was motivated by crapping all over their old fanbase. The Spanos family never misses a chance to show how tonedeaf they are.

Ok, I may have left my Chargers fandom in the dust but I still feel the need to take you to task here. 

This is THE perfect Chargers rebrand. Seriously, I've been posting here since 2003 and yeah. What the Chargers just did is what almost everyone here has been wanting them to do since then, if not earlier. Hell, you were one of them! Taking Dean to task for refusing to listen to fan preference. 

So now they've finally done it and all you can do is claim that the change was "tonedeaf."

Look, Dean's an idiot and the team's going nowhere fast under his watch, but you're being unreasonable if you can't even admit this rebrand was the right move. A broken clock is right twice a day, after all. 

4 minutes ago, bowld said:

Just heard Rams will use both logos equally. Ram head will be featured prominently on fan gear and they will test both logos at mid field before choosing which one to use

This is about as close as we'll ever get to a one-day logo in modern times, already starting to phase it to alternate logo.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived