Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chargers simplifying it to the powder blue and yellow's gonna be a real nice combo to see. Hopefully the uniforms work well to tie it all together, but so far so good.

Also have to say the American economy will rebound nicely thanks to all of us getting all these new pocket helmets for our collections this summer 😄

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

So my complete thoughts on the LA football Rebrand-athon. 

First, both teams should have just stuck the uniforms on some mannequins and shown them off. We have no idea how long we're going to be locked down for, so just show them off already. The unveiling events are a waste of time anyway. Just get the uniforms out there. 

The Rams...

Oh boy. So the segmented horn. That's the problem. My favourite logo they released is the ram head, and it's the only one where the segmented horn works. We're viewing the ram at an angle, so the segmented horn helps give depth to the animal. It makes sense in that context. It doesn't work anywhere else. 

The segmented horn looks like a moon and wave in the LA primary, and lends itself to unfavourable Chargers comparisons (you all know it does 😜 ). And beyond that? The classic Rams helmet horn has kept (more or less) the same design for decades. The idea that this segmented horn will show up on the helmets compromises what was one of the NFL's best helmet designs. Golden ratio or no golden ratio, the segmented horn design on anything but the the 3/4ths profile ram head is a bad look conceptually speaking. 

I do love the colours and font though. 

Make the ram head the primary, put the classic horn on the LA as the alternate mark/wordmark element and you've got something. As is? They have what looks to be an under-utilized alternate mark and a primary that just doesn't work. With potential for the ruination of one of the great football helmet designs. 

The Chargers...

Like I said above? Even a broken clock is right twice a day. This is pretty much the perfect Chargers rebrand. The only thing I'm not totally sold on is the flattened bolt, as I didn't see a problem with the last one's shape. Still? The new flattened bolt isn't bad, so it's a wash at worst. 
The colours are on point though, which is all they had to do. The Chargers win this little LA-only contest by virtue of not overthinking it. Which the Rams clearly did. The wordmark is "meh" but it's not offensive. 

I don't even mind the emoji. Look at the best (imo) parts of the Rams' new identity. The wordmark and the ram head. It's not old fashioned, but it's clearly going for a neo-retro look. Something that has at least one foot in the "no nonsense/traditional" camp. 
The Chargers can't afford to emulate that. They're the red-headed stepchild, the team no one asked for. They need to be irreverent and youthful and, yes, maybe a bit ridiculous to carve out their own niche. The upstart look is all they really have, so I won't fault them for running with it. It's their best option if they absolutely have to stay in LA. 

Uniforms could change all of this but until then? The Chargers nailed it and the Rams overthought what should have been an easy solution. 

1 hour ago, d11king said:

This is off topic, but I’m so glad I found this website and that there’s a boatload of people out there who are really into sports uniforms and logos like I am. I used to think I was weird when playing NCAA Football or Madden or whatever and always spending too much time looking and messing around with the uniforms. Good job guys for helping me embrace my nerd!

People thought Steve Jobs was stupid for caring about how fonts looked on the screen. Or caring about how a device's outer casing looked.

19 minutes ago, bowld said:

Just heard Rams will use both logos equally. Ram head will be featured prominently on fan gear and they will test both logos at mid field before choosing which one to use

That's an impressive backtrack XD 

Objectively though? They ought to use the ram head at midfield. The LA/horn will likely be part of the endzone wordmark. The ram head at midfield will keep the design from seeming repetitive. 

15 minutes ago, bowld said:

Just heard Rams will use both logos equally. Ram head will be featured prominently on fan gear and they will test both logos at mid field before choosing which one to use

They told me during an interview this afternoon, which will be posted on the main site soon, that neither logo is designated as primary because (paraphrasing) one might resonate with a different age group or culture than the other — though the LA will probably be considered primary by other agencies (like our own archives). And they’ve actually created stencils for both logos to be painted at midfield depending on if it’s an afternoon or primetime game or depending on the uniforms they wear, etc., not to just choose one and stick with it. We went very, very in-depth during our interview, so I hope you all enjoy it once it’s posted! 

23 minutes ago, bowld said:

Well, from my own observations, the blue/yellow "retro" caps featuring the old-school logo as a white outline sell pretty well. I have a couple and I see lots of other people wearing them. So offering a modern take, yet still looking retro, makes a lot of sense there. I knew when I saw the primary leaked on the draft cap that there would be at least one ram head logo, even if it wasn't ever intended to see the field.

Is it possible that the segmented horn coming partially from necessity? With the evolution of helmets and the amount of different sizes/shapes/creases/holes, it seems like it would be a challenge. Maybe the segmentation will alleviate some of that? Just thinking out of my ass. 

spacer.png 

2 minutes ago, bowld said:

NFL shop had hats yesterday with both logos on them. The Ram head is already sold out so that speaks volumes

I can't even find a placeholder image anywhere with the ram head on a cap. Got a link?

29 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Ok, I may have left my Chargers fandom in the dust but I still feel the need to take you to task here. 

This is THE perfect Chargers rebrand. Seriously, I've been posting here since 2003 and yeah. What the Chargers just did is what almost everyone here has been wanting them to do since then, if not earlier. Hell, you were one of them! Taking Dean to task for refusing to listen to fan preference. 

So now they've finally done it and all you can do is claim that the change was "tonedeaf."

Look, Dean's an idiot and the team's going nowhere fast under his watch, but you're being unreasonable if you can't even admit this rebrand was the right move. A broken clock is right twice a day, after all. 

I quit the Chargers, too , when they moved and have been around this board since 2003...actually, before that when we all had to register again when the site was moved, IIRC.

There are elements I like and others I don't.  I am in the minority that I would have much preferred a return to the bright uniforms that caught my attention in 79...the powder blues have never been my favorite...I think the only powder blue jersey I have was a Merriman jersey I picked up at discount.  I fell in love with the royal blue color rush jerseys but oh well.

That said, if they had to go the direction of powder blues (which was very obvious it was coming), this is the best way to do it.  Hopefully they fixed the bolts on the sleeves.

Dean is a moron...actually, king clown of morons.  I weep for players wasting their careers for him in futility.

2 minutes ago, ramsker said:

Is it possible that the segmented horn coming partially from necessity? With the evolution of helmets and the amount of different sizes/shapes/creases/holes, it seems like it would be a challenge. Maybe the segmentation will alleviate some of that? Just thinking out of my ass. 

I don't think it would help. It's still the same basic shape. 

If anything the problem is made worse by the segmented horns. Now you have to line two different parts of the logo up over all of these unusual shapes and creases. At least the solid coloured horn covered some of it up. 

2 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

I quit the Chargers, too , when they moved and have been around this board since 2003...actually, before that when we all had to register again when the site was moved, IIRC.

There are elements I like and others I don't.  I am in the minority that I would have much preferred a return to the bright uniforms that caught my attention in 79...the powder blues have never been my favorite...I think the only powder blue jersey I have was a Merriman jersey I picked up at discount.  I fell in love with the royal blue color rush jerseys but oh well.

That said, if they had to go the direction of powder blues (which was very obvious it was coming), this is the best way to do it.  Hopefully they fixed the bolts on the sleeves.

Dean is a moron...actually, king clown of morons.  I weep for players wasting their careers for him in futility.

That's certainly fair enough! And yeah, I remember you being one of the "not powder blue" holdouts 😛

I have no idea why Dean opted to pull the trigger on powder blue now, when fans in San Diego were clamouring for it for years. His preference for navy is, after all, well documented. 

My only guess is that he knows deep down the team is unwanted in LA, so he's going with the one thing he knows everyone wants in a bid to gain some goodwill. 

Regardless, it looks good. Like you I hope they fix the shoulder bolts on the unis.  

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I have no idea why Dean opted to pull the trigger on powder blue now, when fans in San Diego were clamouring for it for years.

I think it's pretty obvious the Chargers anticipated there could be a LA move for years(see Farmers Field story) and wanted to save it for once they were going into a new stadium(be it LA or SD).

The powder blue "LA" logo they unveiled only lends credence to the theory.

1 minute ago, colortv said:

I think it's pretty obvious the Chargers anticipated there could be a LA move for years(see Farmers Field story) and wanted to save it for once they were going into a new stadium(be it LA or SD).

The powder blue "LA" logo they unveiled only lends credence to the theory.

Except Dean loves navy. And the LA logo they unveiled when they moved was originally white on navy. The gold on powder blue version only came a day after everyone ridiculed it for looking like a Dodgers knockoff. 

7 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Also, I really like the block font featured on this sweatshirt with the new logo:

https://imgur.com/a/tl5KeH3 (Sorry, won't let me embed for some reason)

Does anyone know what font that is? Looks like a varsity block, but I'm not sure. But I love it and think it would be perfect for the Rams.

jqb6Wkl.png

I like that!

Archived